New Brouwer offering?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: New Brouwer offering?

Post by SpyderNut »

BrianMcCord wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:I guess s30v costs them less than ctsxhp?
I believe it may have more to do with with availability of materials vs. cost. Carpenter-made steels are more challenging to obtain compared to Crucible-made steels. (For this reason, I've been unsuccessful in trying to buy some XHP for my own projects :rolleyes: ).

On a side note, I'm pretty impressed with this design: Good ergonomics, RIL, EDC-friendly blade profile, non-flipper, and green G-10. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
I'm looking forward to seeing it in my personal collection, after the Rhino, of course :D
Thank you, Brian. I’m hoping you’ll like it! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I really like the looks of this one, probably the most of the newly announced but in my opinion they made a poor choice on a couple things..

A) Clip type: I think this would be awesome with a wire clip
B) Clip position: the clip as is looks like it’s 1/3 of the way down the handle... get rid of the lanyard hole and move the clip to a deeper carry position
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

T_MAC686 wrote:I really like the looks of this one, probably the most of the newly announced but in my opinion they made a poor choice on a couple things..

A) Clip type: I think this would be awesome with a wire clip
B) Clip position: the clip as is looks like it’s 1/3 of the way down the handle... get rid of the lanyard hole and move the clip to a deeper carry position
I'm wondering why deep carry is such an important factor? Is it a concealment issue? I, personally like having purchase to draw from my pocket. Is it a cosmetic issue?
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

SpyderNut wrote:
BrianMcCord wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:I guess s30v costs them less than ctsxhp?
I believe it may have more to do with with availability of materials vs. cost. Carpenter-made steels are more challenging to obtain compared to Crucible-made steels. (For this reason, I've been unsuccessful in trying to buy some XHP for my own projects :rolleyes: ).

On a side note, I'm pretty impressed with this design: Good ergonomics, RIL, EDC-friendly blade profile, non-flipper, and green G-10. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
I'm looking forward to seeing it in my personal collection, after the Rhino, of course :D
Thank you, Brian. I’m hoping you’ll like it! :D
Already like it, no worries :)
-Brian

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
halloween

Post by halloween »

Thanks for thee kind comments everybody. Much appriciated.

Regards,
Jerry Brouwer
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

BrianMcCord wrote:I'm wondering why deep carry is such an important factor? Is it a concealment issue? I, personally like having purchase to draw from my pocket. Is it a cosmetic issue?
Speaking only on my own behalf here:
The context in which I would carry a knife this size is one I’d prefer have a ‘quieter’ look. The wire clip is not very difficult to draw out (maybe too easy sometimes). I usually put my thump into the pocket behind the handle and my other fingers find the dip in the clip for purchase to draw.
halloween wrote:Thanks for thee kind comments everybody. Much appriciated.

Regards,
Jerry Brouwer
Welcome to the big show!
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

BrianMcCord wrote:I'm wondering why deep carry is such an important factor? Is it a concealment issue? I, personally like having purchase to draw from my pocket. Is it a cosmetic issue?
Well the wire clip is purely a cosmetic issue for me, I just think it would LOOK better, not necessarily function better. As for the “deep carry”, I just wish the clip was positioned at the end of the handle like on the G10 Manix or PM2.. even the Delica looks like it will carry better and that knife isn’t “deep carry”. I will say that the smaller the knife, the deeer I want it to carry because I feel like it has less chance of falling out of my pocket.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The clip 'issue' for me would be mainly cosmetic, would probably like the wire clip best for looks. (and like it for function as well)
Pretty sure this clip and placement will work fine and it's easier to grab this way but I do prefer deep carry for urban carry to not have a knife showing much, plenty of people who are not used to the idea of carryibg a pocket knife..

halloween wrote:Thanks for thee kind comments everybody. Much appriciated.

Regards,
Jerry Brouwer
Welcome and congrats on your new blade! :)
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Highly anticipated -- thanks, Spyderco.
haayema

Post by haayema »

The Jerry Brouwer release is one of the most exciting this year, hope it does come sooner rather than later!
I do wish they had gone for a deeper carry, looks to pertrude quite a bid out of the pocket in this configuration.
Hopefully we can handle it at the amsterdam meet.
unicorn-beard

Post by unicorn-beard »

I'm really excited about this one as well. Love the looks of it and I've been wanting a sleek 2.5" to carry every day so I don't have to worry about taking my knife out of my pocket when I pick up my kids from school.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

haayema wrote:The Jerry Brouwer release is one of the most exciting this year, hope it does come sooner rather than later!
I do wish they had gone for a deeper carry, looks to pertrude quite a bid out of the pocket in this configuration.
Hopefully we can handle it at the amsterdam meet.
I think this thing will look amazing with the MXG short Ti clip! I threw one on my Para 3, and it's a great clip. The titanium will match...
-Brian

BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Need some reference pics for those who didn't see it. Here ya go!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
-Brian

kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Congrats Jerry, :)
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I'm also a bigger fan of the wire clip (it doesn't chew up my pants as quickly and I worry less about deep carry knives falling out when I sit) but this is a great design.

I've always been infatuated with the Loveless drop point hunter, and this design puts those contours into a Spyderco package. I think this could even replace the Sage 2 in my collection!
swigert

Post by swigert »

the clip and weird cutout behind the blade are still a mystery to me...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I'm most interested in the Brouwer due to its slim form factor and seemingly 3" or less blade length. S30V will be fine as long as the street price is around $200.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RamZar wrote:I'm most interested in the Brouwer due to its slim form factor and seemingly 3" or less blade length. S30V will be fine as long as the street price is around $200.
you really think it will be that much? I was thinking it would be in ballpark of sage 5 price.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
RamZar wrote:I'm most interested in the Brouwer due to its slim form factor and seemingly 3" or less blade length. S30V will be fine as long as the street price is around $200.
you really think it will be that much? I was thinking it would be in ballpark of sage 5 price.
I say $200 because Domino, SpydieChef and Techno are in the $215-$220 street price range now.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

RamZar wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I say $200 because Domino, SpydieChef and Techno are in the $215-$220 street price range now.
Well if thats the case then I guess I won't be getting this one.. Which is unfortunate because this was my favorite of the shot show releases..