The officially unofficial new Techno 2 thread!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bryan123

The officially unofficial new Techno 2 thread!

Post by bryan123 »

I wanted to start a thread on this very important knife.

Important for several reasons:

1. Thinner blade stock as requested and suggested by forum members. Thanks for listening Sal and Eric

2. The blue back spacer is gone yay!

3. knife is thinner and lighter overall

4. At least for the time being this could be the knife of choice for those of us who might have wanted the discontinued Schlyz Bowie.

5. Short blade length for those of us living in areas with cvrazy knife laws.

If anyone has had a chance to see, play with this knife at shot show please share your opinions PLEASE!
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
Flipping Addict

Re: The officially unofficial new Techno 2 thread!

Post by Flipping Addict »

All I want to know is when??????
sohcsti

Post by sohcsti »

I'm on board as long as the price reflects being half the knife of the v1. If not, I will continue with my original plans of having the v1 blade modified and skip this one. Very disappointed with these changes.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

“Half the knife”?!? :rolleyes: :) Not sure what that calculation is based on, the T2 seems to still have two slabs of Ti, a kick-a$$ CTS-XHP blade (not half as thin BTW, that’s a Chaparral), and an amazing custom designer behind it responsible for what many consider is the best (or absolutely among the best) of top-end Spyderco offerings from Taichung. Not to mention what’s likely the nearly identical amount of time/effort to make this version compared to the original. This will be an equally amazing knife as it’s predecessor and it’s brothers. :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sohcsti

Post by sohcsti »

I'm not saying it won't be a nice piece, all the ingredients are there. Been looking forward to this knife coming out since the designer released this new design on his customs and just disappointed that they took the "big" out of "little big knife." Especially when the v1 was considered to be the king of them all.
nurunuru

Post by nurunuru »

After seeing the side-by-side shots, I'm thinking the blade evolution is leading nicely towards a stubby, powerhouse of a wharncliffe for the T3. Now that I would probably be unable to resist!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sohcsti wrote:I'm not saying it won't be a nice piece, all the ingredients are there. Been looking forward to this knife coming out since the designer released this new design on his customs and just disappointed that they took the "big" out of "little big knife." Especially when the v1 was considered to be the king of them all.
with the thinner stock, it'll probably perform better, though.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Do we know the blade length? Hopefully it’s just short of 2.5” instead of being just over 2.5”.

Wished they had added the stainless steel insert that double functions as an overtravel stop.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I don't quite get the swedge, I think it ruins the blade estetics

At 8:09-8:10 this looks like that part of the spine was cut :D

https://youtu.be/5oj7aGp ... e=youtu.be

Weight reduction must be negligible

And swedge functionally is zero point zero zero zero zero

Is small and non tactical and you definitely don't need that swedge on this small knife to stab that piece of cheese that is aggressively looking at you threatening your life...

I mean I understand the cops will shoot that piece of cheese no questions asked, being afraid for their lives, but I don't quite get it on this small knife, knife people should have more courage in front of the cheese than the cops, right?

Moving on...

They moved the clip down and lanyard hole up, see at 7:14

Is there a poll anywhere on the Spyderco forums that you can point me to whose results concluded that the POS-lanyard-hole is that important?

I think it's the other way around, the clip is important for most of the users who keep them in their pockets out of which only a minority use lanyards

Loads of people have complained about Para3 clip position being too low on the handle due to the lanyard hole and then bought aftermarket deep carry clips

On Techno 2 why would you put the clip below lanyard hole line is beyond me...

I mean what is the logic

Is it the fact that being "a hole" then any hole has a priority for Spyderco above anything else and gets special respect :D ?

Spyderco Techno doesn't have this setup, it got it right, so why ruin it :D

The original Slysz Mouse2 design only has a lanyard hole on the show scale

If you are getting so confused about these two then why don't you just keep it simple and follow the original designs or just keep original Techno clip/lanyard setup

Blade is thinner and open construction, they got that right, I might still want to try it
sohcsti

Post by sohcsti »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
sohcsti wrote:I'm not saying it won't be a nice piece, all the ingredients are there. Been looking forward to this knife coming out since the designer released this new design on his customs and just disappointed that they took the "big" out of "little big knife." Especially when the v1 was considered to be the king of them all.
with the thinner stock, it'll probably perform better, though.
Everything is subjective. But there are other models in spyderco's catalog in full titanium and thin blade stock to choose from. The v1 was special because of this difference and now it's like the rest of them made to look like a techno. This and the removal of the ss lock insert just seems like they were trying to get the costs as low as possible instead of make a true successor to the v1.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Gsg9 wrote: They moved the clip down and lanyard hole up, see at 7:14
Is there a poll anywhere on the Spyderco forums that you can point me to whose results concluded that the POS-lanyard-hole is that important?
I think it's the other way around, the clip is important for most of the users who keep them in their pockets out of which only a minority use lanyards
Loads of people have complained about Para3 clip position being too low on the handle due to the lanyard hole and then bought aftermarket deep carry clips
On Techno 2 why would you put the clip below lanyard hole line is beyond me...
Big agree here. I think the clip position and bead blast textures were step backs. On the lanyard hole, that is a pet peeve of mine with Spyderco knives in general; clip position seems to get decided after lanyard hole position. I really don't think lanyard holes get used that often, but regardless, surely clip position should be more important because (1) a clip definitely gets used by more people than a lanyard hole and (2) where the clip goes affects the feel in hand greatly.

I assume the switch to bead blasting has been done to keep costs down.

However, everything else that changed I really like. I'm going to wait for some reviews to see if I want to sell my Techno (1) for the 2.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Lanyard holes are very important to some of us on small knives, but clips too far down are not cool at all. Kept me from the Para 3.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I like everything about this second iteration Techno....except the thinner blade. That is what caught my attention on the first one, that fat little blade! Still a keeper, but I will miss the beefy blade.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

All the little things I don’t like (don’t like is a big word) they have changed on the Techno II. Especially the slightly thinner blade, a little less weight and the lack of a backspacer I like. Cool little knife which I definitely will buy!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Agreed about the clip/lanyard hole being an odd choice, especially after the fuss the Para3 created.
Snorky

Post by Snorky »

I like the Techno. I like the look of the Techno 2. I won't sell my Techno when the Techno 2 comes along. It will just have a little brother.

As to the new lanyard hole and clip placement, I see it as a potential improvement. The Techno's lanyard hole is slightly too near to the side of the clip IMO. We'll know more when the production Techno 2 makes it into real-people hands.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I love the techno one, even though it doesn't check the boxes on many of the things I generally look for in a knife. It just makes me happy to use and carry it.

As far as the changes, I love the new lanyard hole. I generally remove clips and went so far as to drill a hole in my sage 2 for a fob and fashioned a piece of wire so that I could remove the clip from my chaparral and have a lanyard attach point. I like that change.

As far as the thinner blade stock...Meh. I like thinner slicier blades, but the solid little tank that is the techno isn't really built to be a slicer with such a short blade anyways. I never have had any problems with the techno one, but then I wouldn't pick it to use if I was cutting fruit anyways. I am curious if it changes the feel of the knife once in the hand. Also interested in the how the new jimping feels.

As to weight, I've never been sensitive to a pocketknife being too heavy. Some people seem to act as though a couple ounces means they won't be able to pull their pants up after visiting the john due to the hundreds of pounds of steel in their pockets. Different things are important to different people.

Different finish? Again that really isn't important to me. I anodized the scales of my techno...and I think I gave them a satin finish before doing that. At one time I went through a phase where I polished alot of the blades on my pocketknives.

I like the solid blue backspacer. The green spacers on the Techno 2 look cool also.

I can't wait to try this one out.

Grizz
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Seemed like a winner until I saw the ugly clip and too low positioning. Total downgrade from the wire clip.

Edit: Am I mistaken on the clip? I thought I saw a comparison of the 1 and 2 with the 2 having an hourglass clip...
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mr Danger wrote:Seemed like a winner until I saw the ugly clip and too low positioning. Total downgrade from the wire clip.

Edit: Am I mistaken on the clip? I thought I saw a comparison of the 1 and 2 with the 2 having an hourglass clip...
Sounds like you're thinking of the Marcin Slysz Mouse Gen2 Custom model, which uses a custom clip.
The Spyderco Techno 2 has a wire clip, same as the original Techno.
-Nick :bug-red
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Mushroom wrote:
Mr Danger wrote:Seemed like a winner until I saw the ugly clip and too low positioning. Total downgrade from the wire clip.

Sounds like you're thinking of the Marcin Slysz Mouse Gen2 Custom model, which uses a custom clip.
The Spyderco Techno 2 has a wire clip, same as the original Techno.
Yes, I made a mistake. :eek: On a better note, I'm back to all in on this knife. :)
Sharp knife / hairless arm.