No love for the Lil Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: No love for the Lil Native?

Post by knivesandbooks »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:54 pm
So, I’m thinking (which often costs me money when Spyderco Knives are the topic) about why in the world I would ever need a Lil’ Native after getting my Chaparral FRN. The Chap has such a light, thin refined shape and blade, why would I need a small, rather chunky knife too. Then it came to me. An ephipany! Lil’ Native with a Spyder Edge blade. A heavy-duty Chaparral-sized knife to rip through those tough jobs my little Chap might shy away from.

Makes sense, right?
Makes sense and they do make that, but is s30v good for spyder edge? That's not a rhetorical question, i don't know. I've only used softer steel in serrated.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

good point Michael about getting a SE lil native.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 pm
Thanks. I mean it does make some kind of strange Spyder-sense. Of course I’d have to carry both. Just in case.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

elqfaltaba wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:01 am
I really love all the little Spyderco, it's hard to decide on just one, but the Lil' Native is definitely a good choice.

This is a great picture to see the scale. My two favorite EDCs are my Natives and Dragonflys. So the Lil Native is a natural choice for me. I hope to see some sprints/exclusives soon. I hate to sound like a broken record, but CRUWEAR is a must for me in this one!! CRUWEAR NATION! :D I'd be a buyer of a BHQ M4/Jade as well. DLT Red/M390 too. Blurple/S110V too. Maxamet too. Lol...just something aside from S30V/S35VN/S90V...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:52 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thanks. I mean it does make some kind of strange Spyder-sense. Of course I’d have to carry both. Just in case.
If you decide to go that way I strongly recommend a Para3 in spyderedge. You’ll thank me later ;)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:32 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:52 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
If you decide to go that way I strongly recommend a Para3 in spyderedge. You’ll thank me later ;)
Perhaps I would. The PM2 is too big for my current uses and the Para 3 might be a good fit. But I do prefer those smaller knives now days.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I was this close to buying a Lil' Native but my Massdrop Blue Box Native arrived and too my chagrin it is an S30V LW Native when that wasn't even an option? :confused: So now I have an S30V knife so it looks like i'm either going to be waiting on a sprint/exclusive or going to have to sell my S30V Native and grab a Lil' Native.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
LSS152

Post by LSS152 »

I just got mine today. I love it. That S30V is some nice steel.
LSS152

Post by LSS152 »

How about some pics? I wish I would have bought this a long time ago
Attachments
999327F3-8E11-4DDB-B1D3-16C68651FADE.jpeg
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dude, the Cruwear thing is becoming the “that’s what she said” of this forum. And I love Cruwear.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:28 pm
I was this close to buying a Lil' Native but my Massdrop Blue Box Native arrived and too my chagrin it is an S30V LW Native when that wasn't even an option? :confused: So now I have an S30V knife so it looks like i'm either going to be waiting on a sprint/exclusive or going to have to sell my S30V Native and grab a Lil' Native.
I'm curious...why not give the Native LW a chance? I have several Natives along with other more expensive models and my basic (black) Native 5 LW is one of my my carried/used knives. There's just something about that particular knife that really appeals to me. I guess It's a combination of the smooth action, the sound the lock makes when engaged, the stonewash finish on the blade, not to mention that it fits my hand perfectly. So I say give it a try. It may just become one of your favorites too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:06 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
I'm curious...why not give the Native LW a chance? I have several Natives along with other more expensive models and my basic (black) Native 5 LW is one of my my carried/used knives. There's just something about that particular knife that really appeals to me. I guess It's a combination of the smooth action, the sound the lock makes when engaged, the stonewash finish on the blade, not to mention that it fits my hand perfectly. So I say give it a try. It may just become one of your favorites too.

I'm using it right now to shave old paint drips off the wall im painting. :) And this is actually my third LW Native (have the Orange/S90V DLC and the Maxamet) and I have the linerless M4/Jade Native and the S110V/Blurple G10 Native. It is my favorite model. I just would rather only own one S30V knife. So since the Lil' Native's only option is S30V, that would be the one i'd prefer. I would have rather received the S35VN Native and then purchased the S30V Lil Native. Oh well, like I said, I'll either wait on a Lil' Native sprint or i'll grab one is S30V eventually if no sprints ever come. I'll still probably grab an S35VN G10 Native if I can still find one that has stainless liners.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:36 pm
I'm using it right now to shave old paint drips off the wall im painting. :) And this is actually my third LW Native (have the Orange/S90V DLC and the Maxamet) and I have the linerless M4/Jade Native and the S110V/Blurple G10 Native. It is my favorite model. I just would rather only own one S30V knife. So since the Lil' Native's only option is S30V, that would be the one i'd prefer. I would have rather received the S35VN Native and then purchased the S30V Lil Native. Oh well, like I said, I'll either wait on a Lil' Native sprint or i'll grab one is S30V eventually if no sprints ever come. I'll still probably grab an S35VN G10 Native if I can still find one that has stainless liners.
Makes sense SC16. I would rather have the S35VN version too even though I know it's pretty much indistinguishable from S30V in real world use. I have several knives in both steels and it seems like S35VN has a little more bite than S30V. I guess it's all psychological from what they say but I'm not so sure about that.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

No love here.

It is a wee bit smaller in the handle, a lot smaller in the blade than the native.
The leaf shape is simply too “tall” for its length now.
The knife does not have the usefulness of a native or the ergonomics.
It seems too small to have a clip on it, yet too long and tall to sit in the pocket of tighter jeans without causing discomfort.
There are many knives that fit in the pocket well that are thinner and not as tall with the same blade length and many knives that are suited to more wirk to have pocket clips like the para 3 or native.
Therefore....what is it good for?
It is not a good pocket “gentleman “ knife for width and height and handle length and it is not a good edc for bigger tasks. For me it is a resounding NO.
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Robishere wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:20 pm
No love here.

It is a wee bit smaller in the handle, a lot smaller in the blade than the native.
It seems too small to have a clip on it, yet too long and tall to sit in the pocket of tighter jeans without causing discomfort.
There are many knives that fit in the pocket well that are thinner and not as tall with the same blade length and many knives that are suited to more wirk to have pocket clips like the para 3 or native.
It is not a good pocket “gentleman “ knife for width and height and handle length and it is not a good edc for bigger tasks. For me it is a resounding NO.

Savage
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:36 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:06 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

I have 3 s35vn natives with lined G10. They open FARsmoother than any other natives. To my great upset I did revieve an unlined G10 native and I was furious....till I saw it was a clone of my Maxamet native and I could do a blade swap!!! Now I have Maxamet in a native with G10 handles!
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Robishere wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:20 pm
No love here.

“Therefore…what is it good for?”

You have to love pronouncements like this. It’s too small, too tall, it’s not “useful”, whatever that may mean. It is not comfortable, too thick and not suited for pocket clips. It’s not a good pocket “gentleman “ [sic] knife either.

It’s not clear why Spyderco would ever think to make such a useless thing.

One might rejoin that the Chaparrals and Dragonflies are too weak and mild to take on real knife jobs and are only suited for opening mail and cleaning fingernails. So, man and woman up and get yerself a Lil’ Native.

Team Innovation
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I love the Lil' Native plenty, I just needed to wait for the backlock version to arrive. Love the fact that this microfolder is thicker and 'bigger' than fine slicers like the Dragonfly. Love the full grip and sturdy feel of the backlock lil' native.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Good photo. Puts the knife into perspective for me. I continue to like the Lil’ Native. I also own a Dragonfly, which I consider perhaps Spyderco’s best small knife design. It does have one limitation: robustness. The Lil’ Native should overcome that objection. I believe I may sell one of my knives and invest in this design. I like the back lock, but I like the wire clip too. What to do? Decisions, decisions...

Team Innovation
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The Lil' Native is my favorite little big knife from Spyderco. It's robust but still a great slicer.
I liked the comp lock version so much that I got the back lock version. I like that one even more! Although I prefer the wire clip, both clips work well and feel good in the hand.
I wonder which version will be more popular.
It's likely there will be at least one exclusive or sprint of the Lil' Native.