No love for the Lil Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: No love for the Lil Native?

Post by steelcity16 »

bh49 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote: It really is too bad that the Native/Lil Native/Shaman get no love in those exclusive runs. I hope they are in the near future!
I think that it is too early to say this. Shaman and Lil Native just came out. Native5 had sprints/exclusive and variants probably more than any other Spyderco. In a worst case it is second after para2. I cannot recall any other spydie, which had production (not sprints) with three different scale materials: g10, frn and ti.
Very true, i am just impatient as I really love the native and it isnt available in mg two favorite exclusive runs...yet! I just hope we see DLC blade/hardware options for all of these going forward after how incredible that Manix is! :eek:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
bh49 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote: It really is too bad that the Native/Lil Native/Shaman get no love in those exclusive runs. I hope they are in the near future!
I think that it is too early to say this. Shaman and Lil Native just came out. Native5 had sprints/exclusive and variants probably more than any other Spyderco. In a worst case it is second after para2. I cannot recall any other spydie, which had production (not sprints) with three different scale materials: g10, frn and ti.
Very true, i am just impatient as I really love the native and it isnt available in mg two favorite exclusive runs...yet! I just hope we see DLC blade/hardware options for all of these going forward after how incredible that Manix is! :eek:
also, i was just thinking about how much i'd like a native (and lil native...and shaman) in cruwear and also in 52100/peel ply cf...and neither of those have been done and i havent heard if they are planning on doing them. those are the other 2 i am very interested in. :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
mad german

Post by mad german »

I don't get the Lil Native. It's basically the exact same size as the Dragonfly. For the size, it really doesn't matter on the lock, it's a light duty type of pocketknife. I wanted to like it, but after handling it alongside my G-10 D'fly, I walked away loving my D'fly even more.

It's a dud, IMHO.
My collection is ever changing!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

mad german wrote:I don't get the Lil Native. It's basically the exact same size as the Dragonfly. For the size, it really doesn't matter on the lock, it's a light duty type of pocketknife. I wanted to like it, but after handling it alongside my G-10 D'fly, I walked away loving my D'fly even more.

It's a dud, IMHO.
Agree and disagree. It has made me like my Dfly more but disagree on dud. LN is twice as robust as Dfly and that includes blade stock. It is a medium duty knife, just like a Native 5 but smaller. The Dfly is lighter duty than that. Now aske me to explain that and I will struggle but they are not the same genre to me at least.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

twinboysdad wrote: LN is twice as robust as Dfly and that includes blade stock. It is a medium duty knife, just like a Native 5 but smaller. The Dfly is lighter duty than that. Now aske me to explain that and I will struggle but they are not the same genre to me at least.
I agree
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

twinboysdad wrote: Agree and disagree. It has made me like my Dfly more but disagree on dud. LN is twice as robust as Dfly and that includes blade stock. It is a medium duty knife, just like a Native 5 but smaller. The Dfly is lighter duty than that. Now aske me to explain that and I will struggle but they are not the same genre to me at least.
I would agree as well! I still love my ZDP DF2 and G10 DF2, but this Lil' Native is so much more robust and feels like a bridge between my DF2 and my Para 3. I love this for my office carry. It has the speed and ease of use with the compression lock (in n out of pocket, one hand use) plus the fun factor of the compression lock; all in a smaller package. It's definitely not a dud...it fits into my collection/users perfectly.

Love this Lil' Native!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:
mad german wrote:I don't get the Lil Native. It's basically the exact same size as the Dragonfly. For the size, it really doesn't matter on the lock, it's a light duty type of pocketknife. I wanted to like it, but after handling it alongside my G-10 D'fly, I walked away loving my D'fly even more.

It's a dud, IMHO.
Agree and disagree. It has made me like my Dfly more but disagree on dud. LN is twice as robust as Dfly and that includes blade stock. It is a medium duty knife, just like a Native 5 but smaller. The Dfly is lighter duty than that. Now aske me to explain that and I will struggle but they are not the same genre to me at least.
What things would you cut with a lil native that you wouldnt cut with a dragonfly?
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I cant wait to try one. I love small G10 folders. I really enjoy my G10 DF2, Caly 3, Worker, and Native 5. Will be happy to add this to the family. I am going to wait until we see some sprints/exclusives though.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:I cant wait to try one. I love small G10 folders. I really enjoy my G10 DF2, Caly 3, Worker, and Native 5. Will be happy to add this to the family. I am going to wait until we see some sprints/exclusives though.
I'm really hoping the Lil Native gets the Blurple S110V treatment.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

It's a dud, IMHO.
What things would you cut with a lil native that you wouldnt cut with a dragonfly?
I knew someone would ask, and if it wasn't a member I respect I probably just wouldn't answer. Truthfully the Dfly is capable of more than I would put mine through. That said, I think heavy cuts with lateral twisting would be better suited to the Lil Native. Think heavy rubber tubing or hose. Really the Lil Native is the "gent's tank" that so many including me had clamored for. Even if the extra robustness is mostly in our heads! That said, a big hAnded chap like yourself might not get enough digital purchase anyway. Hope that answer helps explain something!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

No love from me. I struggle for a reason for me to own one and so far, I have found no reason. I'd be far more likely to try one of the blade were made of thinner stock as I have no need of a small knife with a massively overbuilt blade.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

for me it fills the gap between df2 and para 3 perfectly. chap lw if you need thin blade and lighter weight, lil native if you need something beefier with compression lock.
Spydergirl88
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have not bought one, yet. However, in my thinking it is a better option than the Techno for an over built little folder. I am waiting on the back lock version to try one.

It will probably never displace my Urban LW or my Chap LW for daily pocket carry, but it might have a place in my rotation.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

A backlock is not a compression lock.
compression locks are more fun to play with.

Dfly is a useful small lightweight knife.
Lil native is a big knife in a smaller package.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm really trying hard to resist this one. Wanted to wait for a sprint, but may need to get the base version now to check out!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm pretty happy with the one I got for my Dad, but for me, I'll wait for a sprint. I'm not a fan of the blade finish, plus I have the Dice and K390 urban that cover that blade length.

DLC would be extra nice!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Even though I have had wire clip issues with my Dragonfly knives (which may indeed have been of my own making, but that’s still a mystery), for my needs and preferences the Dragonfly is the one I would have if I could have only one Spyderco. It’s ergonomics suit me perfectly (6’ 2”, 215, Hand size large), the blade steel is fine and thin, the leaf shape is all around good and it has a sharp point.
While some may want and appreciate a more robust “little knife” the Lil’ Native has no attributes to displace the Dragonfly for my uses.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Any word on when the dlc versions will drop?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I hope the dlc lil native will also have a black clip... would be so badazz
Spydergirl88
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Vivi wrote: