No love for the Lil Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

No love for the Lil Native?

Post by twinboysdad »

Just got one and love it. Right up my alley as a robust gent size knife. I will try to get some pics, but this is a Dfly size with thicker stock. My sample's comp lock is nice and tight and doesn't free fall, which is how I want it. It is more noticeable in pocket than a Dfly though. My only design criticism is no jimping on the choil. Doesn't kill the design but once you have a jimped Choil, a smooth one feels less secure. I will be getting the lock back version for certain. I would best describe it as a Jack Russell Terrier- small but robust, able to handle large tasks while taking up minimal room, very little fear of damaging through normal but rough use. Needs to be sprinted
ABX2011

Re: No love for the Lil Native?

Post by ABX2011 »

Couldn't agree more! Big little knife.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

twinboysdad wrote:Just got one and love it. Right up my alley as a robust gent size knife. I will try to get some pics, but this is a Dfly size with thicker stock. My sample's comp lock is nice and tight and doesn't free fall, which is how I want it. It is more noticeable in pocket than a Dfly though. My only design criticism is no jimping on the choil. Doesn't kill the design but once you have a jimped Choil, a smooth one feels less secure. I will be getting the lock back version for certain. I would best describe it as a Jack Russell Terrier- small but robust, able to handle large tasks while taking up minimal room, very little fear of damaging through normal but rough use. Needs to be sprinted
That's what I'm waiting for :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Oh yeah! We definitely need some sprints! This knife checked off so many boxes as an ideal EDC knife for me. It is easily my favorite release from 2017!

I'm eager to try the back lock model as well! Having carried the G10 Native 5 for a while, I've actually caught myself reaching for the back lock while carrying the Lil Native. :D :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't have love for lil anything. It's the opposite of what I want :D
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Agreed about the jimping on the choil. It somehow gives it a more premium feel as well.

I really like mine, but I think I'll like the backlock version better, especially in M4 or K390 ;) Though they way things have been lately I imagine S90v is the most likely.

Here's a compo pic I posted when I first received it for those interested...

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Just got one and love it. Right up my alley as a robust gent size knife. I will try to get some pics, but this is a Dfly size with thicker stock. My sample's comp lock is nice and tight and doesn't free fall, which is how I want it. It is more noticeable in pocket than a Dfly though. My only design criticism is no jimping on the choil. Doesn't kill the design but once you have a jimped Choil, a smooth one feels less secure. I will be getting the lock back version for certain. I would best describe it as a Jack Russell Terrier- small but robust, able to handle large tasks while taking up minimal room, very little fear of damaging through normal but rough use. Needs to be sprinted
That's what I'm waiting for :D
Yep, waiting for some sprints or new versions. I'd be down for a Blurple S110V backlock version. Or maybe we will see it hit the Red M390 DLT exclusive series or Jade M4 BHQ exclusive series.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

this is my daily edc if I carry a different spydie I miss my lil native. it's my favorite spyderco of all time
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

This is not going to be a popular comment, but I really wish there was more space between the blade and the backspacer. This would enable a lanyard to be tied around the rear post without adding an ugly hole. Other than that, this knife suits me perfectly.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:I don't have love for lil anything. It's the opposite of what I want :D
Big fan of a lil junk in the trunk myself...
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

No love. It's the everything I don't want in a knife. YMMV
attila

Post by attila »

If it had a CBBL, I'd be all for it. Currently, it's still okay, but it doesn't tempt me anymore.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

I love it.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Perfect office EDC.
Compression lock works great.
After modding (grinding) the choil so it doesn't touch the finger at closing anymore, its more stunning.

I must force myself to carry my Para3s and not only have the Lil Native always with me.

Sprints would be awesome.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sorry but....no love here.We have the Dfy2 and the Urban so I don't see the need for a lil'Native plus it looks ...like an early Native :D
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

abbazaba wrote:Agreed about the jimping on the choil. It somehow gives it a more premium feel as well.

I really like mine, but I think I'll like the backlock version better, especially in M4 or K390 ;) Though they way things have been lately I imagine S90v is the most likely.

Here's a compo pic I posted when I first received it for those interested...

Thanks for those pictures! That answers a lot of questions that I had. A small woman told me the Lil Native is too big to be comfortable for her, but I have the opposite issue: I have big hands.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Useful comparison picture! Too small for me though, the Native is about as small as I like to go.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

elena86 wrote:Sorry but....no love here.We have the Dfy2 and the Urban so I don't see the need for a lil'Native plus it looks ...like an early Native :D
The Lil Native is tougher than a Dfly, and the Urban doesn't lock. I could make a case the Urban isn't needed in the US anyway. Best way to analogize is the Dfly is to the FFG Delica what the Lil Native is to the Native 5. Same but different enough to merit both concepts. It's cool though, different strokes and all that
Strider

Post by Strider »

Will there be a lightweight version?
vivi

Post by vivi »

The lil native also looks a million times more comfortable than the dragonfly. on the latter it's always felt like someone cut off part of the grip for my ring and middle fingers, like something is missing right there. It's filled in on most all their other designs...lil native, native, chap, caly jr, urban, etc. makes a big difference for my grip at least. Ended up giving my Dragonfly to a family member for opening mail and boxes, so it's getting some love.
Last edited by vivi on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn