Any plans for a standard-sized Compression Lock Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dano727

Re: Any plans for a standard-sized Compression Lock Native?

Post by Dano727 »

Yes Please. I promise I will buy one.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Hard pass. That perfect backlock is the reason I own natives.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

^ 100% agree here. The backlock on the Native is perfection*!

*or pretty darned close!
- Mike

Singing along with the voices in my head
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:03 pm
The linerless G10 Manix 2 back lock is a wonderful knife. I am sure the linerless G10 Native 5 is just as nice.
I certainly think so !!

When I see the request for a Compression Lock Native, I think -- dudes! You already have it! The Para 3 !!
And what a popular knife it is.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 am
Doc Dan wrote:
The linerless G10 Manix 2 back lock is a wonderful knife. I am sure the linerless G10 Native 5 is just as nice.
I certainly think so !!

When I see the request for a Compression Lock Native, I think -- dudes! You already have it! The Para 3 !!
While I agree that the Native 5 is perfect as is, I strongly disagree about the Para 3 sentiment.

IMO the Para 3 is garbage, an ergonomic disaster. Were they to make a Native 5 comp lock, it would be FAR superior to a Para 3 in every conceivable way.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I certainly think so !!

Nope, the ergos are completely different. The Para 3 has an even more pronounced hump than the Sage 5, and the handle shapes are quite different too. I'd love to have a frame lock or comp lock regular Native.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Hello,

I hate to resurrect an old post as a newbie to the forum (long-time reader though) but the Para 3 Lightweight I think begs this question be asked again. I have 3 (or is it 4 now) Para 3's and the *only* thing the bug out has going over the new Para3 LW is the overall width for pocket carry. Reintroducing the Native 5 LW with the wonderful wire pocket clip and compression lock would almost assure superiority over the bugout. I will no doubt purchase a LW Sage 5 when available but still would love to see a redo on the Native 5 LW.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Just wanted to bump this again... I know it’s an old thread, but I really want a native 5 AND really hate back locks. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I know many on this forum love back locks and I’m not complaining that the original version uses one, but a comp lock or ball bearing lock version would be awesome.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Well as someone who prefers backlocks and appreciates the design, I have to say I think the backlock on the native 5 is probably the best example of a standard backlock ive seen. So I certainly wouldnt want it to go anywhere.
I dont have a problem if a comp lock was offered but it seems way to close to the new sage 5 lightweight. Why not just go with that? Similar size and shape, wire clip, same base steel. Spyderco has a very diverse catalog and at a certain point they have to avoid too much overlap.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

aaronkb wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:11 pm
....I really want a native 5 AND really hate back locks.
I'm curious...why do you really hate back locks? I kind of thought the same thing when I got back into knives a few years ago. The only folding knives I ever had were back locks. Then I found Spyderco and realized there were so many awesome lock types that I'd never tried and thought...I'll probably never buy a back lock again. Guess what, a few years and over 100 knives later, I have more back locks than any of those other lock styles. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using the other lock types but I've realized the back lock is still popular for good reason. They're very strong when done right, they're ambidextrous, easy to operate with one hand, etc. The refined back lock on the Native 5 is really something. If you want to try a Native I strongly encourage you to try one. Heck get a Native 5 LW. They're not too expensive and it's a solid, yet lightweight piece. Use it for awhile and get to know it. I think you'll see the virtues of a well-done back lock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Please don't ruin the Native 5
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:19 pm
aaronkb wrote:
I'm curious...why do you really hate back locks? I kind of thought the same thing when I got back into knives a few years ago. The only folding knives I ever had were back locks. Then I found Spyderco and realized there were so many awesome lock types that I'd never tried and thought...I'll probably never buy a back lock again. Guess what, a few years and over 100 knives later, I have more back locks than any of those other lock styles. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using the other lock types but I've realized the back lock is still popular for good reason. They're very strong when done right, they're ambidextrous, easy to operate with one hand, etc. The refined back lock on the Native 5 is really something. If you want to try a Native I strongly encourage you to try one. Heck get a Native 5 LW. They're not too expensive and it's a solid, yet lightweight piece. Use it for awhile and get to know it. I think you'll see the virtues of a well-done back lock.
I’ve had my fair share of back locks and they’re definitely great for being ambidextrous and not interfering much with a knife’s ergonomics... but here are the two things I can’t get past, one of which is IMO a pretty bad reason and the other of which I think is reasonable:

1. Fidget factor. Yeah yeah, judge me, I deserve it... but my knives double as fidget spinners. I can do a back lock one-handed all day, but it doesn’t give me nearly the same enjoyment as some other options. I know knives are tools, etc etc, but the amount of joy I find in a fidget-friendly knife is pretty substantial.

2. I’ve hurt myself far more times with backlocks than any other mechanism due to the way they snap shut. I know it’s avoidable with practice and it hasn’t happened to me in quite a while, but I’ve been bit several times too many and now I have an instinctive fear of them. I know it ultimately comes down to user error, but why choose a mechanism that can cause a knife to snap shut on you with the assistance of a spring over a mechanism where the force with which a knife closes is just caused by gravity and which never requires your fingers to enter the blade path?
knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:25 pm
Please don't ruin the Native 5
I fail to see how making another version with another locking mechanism would ruin the OG for those who prefer it... you can keep your back lock, I’m not coming for it. =)
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:49 pm
Well as someone who prefers backlocks and appreciates the design, I have to say I think the backlock on the native 5 is probably the best example of a standard backlock ive seen. So I certainly wouldnt want it to go anywhere.
I dont have a problem if a comp lock was offered but it seems way to close to the new sage 5 lightweight. Why not just go with that? Similar size and shape, wire clip, same base steel. Spyderco has a very diverse catalog and at a certain point they have to avoid too much overlap.
The Sage 5 seems to have a lot going for it, but I prefer the shape of the Native family. On the Shaman (the only one I have), I really appreciate the straight line from the handle through the spine of the blade. Love my para 3 and pm2s (I’m carrying one as I type), but the hump kinda gets in the way of where I like to rest my thumb and I have to work around it. A native 5 with a different lock could turn out to be pretty close to my perfect EDC.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aaronkb wrote:
Just wanted to bump this again... I know it’s an old thread, but I really want a native 5 AND really hate back locks. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Sharp Guy wrote:
aaronkb wrote:
aaronkb, I we already chatted about backlocks via pm... ;)

I just wanted to second Sharp Guys thoughts: The backlock of the Native 5 really is the best (backlock) I personally ever experienced (together with the one on the Chap LW). Sold my Native 5 LW for other reasons, but certainly miss that refined, solid, no-bladeplay-whatsoever-lock.

Don´t get me wrong, I am sure you have a lot experience with folders, but maybe (just guessing!) did not really extensively use and operate Spyderco lockback knives?
I admit, I am totally biased (love their backlocks), but I almost can´t imagine that one literally keeps HATING them once you got used to them (though it my very well be that you´d still prefer other locktypes)... It most likely takes a longer learning curve (so I think a person new to both comp.lock and backlock will find the former easier to operate at first), but if you practice a bit, backlocks offer some advantages: Safer in the pocket (bias towards closing), totally ambidextrous, more SAFE ways to close one handed (concerning either "safety of the fingers" or risk of dropping the knife) - and that in no way slower than a comp.lock, very sturdy construction due to the closed back with a lot of steel there (so perfeect for linerless folders),(for me) easier to operate with gloves or cold fingers.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:53 am
aaronkb, I we already chatted about backlocks via pm... ;)

I just wanted to second Sharp Guys thoughts: The backlock of the Native 5 really is the best (backlock) I personally ever experienced (together with the one on the Chap LW). Sold my Native 5 LW for other reasons, but certainly miss that refined, solid, no-bladeplay-whatsoever-lock.

Don´t get me wrong, I am sure you have a lot experience with folders, but maybe (just guessing!) did not really extensively use and operate Spyderco lockback knives?
I admit, I am totally biased (love their backlocks), but I almost can´t imagine that one literally keeps HATING them once you got used to them (though it my very well be that you´d still prefer other locktypes)... It most likely takes a longer learning curve (so I think a person new to both comp.lock and backlock will find the former easier to operate at first), but if you practice a bit, backlocks offer some advantages: Safer in the pocket (bias towards closing), totally ambidextrous, more SAFE ways to close one handed (concerning either "safety of the fingers" or risk of dropping the knife) - and that in no way slower than a comp.lock, very sturdy construction due to the closed back with a lot of steel there (so perfeect for linerless folders),(for me) easier to operate with gloves or cold fingers.
Was hoping you’d pop up here!
😜

My first spydie was actually a Delica, believe it or not... I still have it but it gets next to no pocket time for a few reasons, including the lock.

With ya on safety in the pocket for sure... I can close a backlock pretty reliably but I can’t imagine how it’s safer to close, given that your fingers start out in the blade path and also given the way it snaps shut. ****, I’ve nearly nicked myself OPENING one and another user in this thread mentioned cutting himself that way multiple times!

Backlocks will always be the classic but I feel multiple other options are much safer and more user-friendly these days...
Last edited by aaronkb on Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Eh. Id bet good money the blade retention and self close properties of a backlock has prevented more injuries than caused them. (Just in terms of (possibly lower quality) knives staying closed in the pocket over the years) And thats exactly the point in choosing it. Security of the knife staying closed. I have many salts but the only ones that I trust in rough conditions are the backlocks.
For regular pocket cary and regular edc I will gladly say that it doesnt really matter. But If youre going to do something really dumb, like throw a knife in a side cargo pocket, and then go run an obstacle course or jump on a dirtbike. The snapshuttiness of that backlock becomes a huge advantage.
Its good to live in a world with options so that we can all use what we enjoy. As with everything one persons negative is another persons positive.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:00 am
Eh. Id bet good money the blade retention and self close properties of a backlock has prevented more injuries than caused them. (Just in terms of (possibly lower quality) knives staying closed in the pocket over the years) And thats exactly the point in choosing it. Security of the knife staying closed. I have many salts but the only ones that I trust in rough conditions are the backlocks.
For regular pocket cary and regular edc I will gladly say that it doesnt really matter. But If youre going to do something really dumb, like throw a knife in a side cargo pocket, and then go run an obstacle course or jump on a dirtbike. The snapshuttiness of that backlock becomes a huge advantage.
Its good to live in a world with options so that we can all use what we enjoy. As with everything one persons negative is another persons positive.
This argument makes a lot of sense to me... still not my preference for EDC, but if I were to run an obstacle course with a knife, I’d consider a back lock.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I agree with your points on the sage 5. Its not quite the same. I too would prefer a straight spine as opposed to a slight thumb ramp.
Im also with you on the shaman being amazing. I was actually a bit opposite though. The shaman is perfection for me but I would have preferred if it had a backlock instead. But im totally fine with the compression lock, and the shaman is so good I wouldnt care what lock it had.
I want to say on one of these threads the last few days sal said something about pulling out his old shaman design drawings and possibly coming up with a different kind of shaman. Cant really remember. Could be interesting.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:14 am
I agree with your points on the sage 5. Its not quite the same. I too would prefer a straight spine as opposed to a slight thumb ramp.
Im also with you on the shaman being amazing. I was actually a bit opposite though. The shaman is perfection for me but I would have preferred if it had a backlock instead. But im totally fine with the compression lock, and the shaman is so good I wouldnt care what lock it had.
I want to say on one of these threads the last few days sal said something about pulling out his old shaman design drawings and possibly coming up with a different kind of shaman. Cant really remember. Could be interesting.
Saw that secondhand too, although I didn’t see the original... I personally think it’d be even better with a ball bearing lock due to the ‘nub’ issue when closing.

The only comp lock I haven’t had that issue with at all is the para 3... it happens to me with the pm2 and Kapara, though not very badly... the Shaman is definitely the worst compression lock I’ve handled in that respect and to be fair, I imagine the Native 5 with a comp lock might be similar. But man, a ball bearing lock... -salivates slightly-
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ha. Maybe this is just a semantics issue. What if they made a native 5 with a compression lock and just called it the lil shaman? Then would everyone be happy?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:14 am

Yeah, but it won´t be a backlock Shaman most likely... :( Sal said, that a backlock would not leave enough space inside the handle for the very tall Shaman-blade.
Bad news, I´d really like to see a backlock-Shaman
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)