PM2 Maxamet - need advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mstach07

PM2 Maxamet - need advice

Post by Mstach07 »

Hello all. I recently picked up a pm2 maxamet from an online retailer. It arrived new in box but has a slight curve to the blade. It almost looks bent from the belly to the tip. I have seen others for sale on other forums that appear to be similar. What does yours look like? My other pm2s are perfectly straight. Pics of this are difficult. Should I return...? I may not see another again. Thanks for your feedback
Attachments
My knife
My knife
dsvirsky

Re: PM2 Maxamet - need advice

Post by dsvirsky »

There's no curve to that blade. It's an illusion created by some slight unevenness to the distal taper, at the spine. Mine is the same way. Use the knife and stop worrying about it.
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

No illusion. :cool:
Attachments
3D26F82A-5759-4AE3-BF3E-1BE39943F9B7.jpeg
Loudenboomer

Post by Loudenboomer »

I guess I should man up and offer to take it off your hands. :)
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Thats not normal. I put paper against mine in both s30v and m390 and I am able to lay the paper flat against the blade, even with the taper, all the way down the blade
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Now, that is odd...

I'm really surprised that slipped by QC. Have you contacted W & R? I'm really curious as to what they have to say. I've never seen this before.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

I have contacted Spyderco. They were great about it. Said I could return it for credit to apply towards another knife. But back to my dilemma, I don’t know if I should because I may not see another pm2 maxamet, if they decide to discontinue production of this combination. What would you do?
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Remember how there was only one batch of these Maxamet PM2's released, and how the future of the next batch is uncertain? Sal himself said that they're "Still evaluating."

Well I suspect this is why. I currently have 3 (2 are being given as Christmas gifts on Sunday to my dad and brother), and they're all the same, just like what is shown above. I've looked at 4 others at the factory store, and they were all also the same.

My suspicion is that the thin, hard, very difficult to grind blade is flexing slightly under pressure while the primary grind is being cut on one side. Either that, or some stress is relieved after the reverse side is ground, and the blade flexes slightly before the presentation side is ground. After grinding, the presentation side is nice and flat, but the obverse side has some leftward curve to it towards the tip as you look down the spine from the handle side (as in the pic above). This does create an optical illusion of a bent blade, however, if the blade were actually bent, the presentation side would also curve to the left, which it does not (again, it's nice and flat).

HTH. Based on his previous reply, I suspect Sal will not comment further to confirm/deny. Just use the knife and enjoy the amazing edge retention and cutting prowess that this extremely exotic alloy has to offer. I love my user!!!
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

SpyderPhreak wrote:Remember how there was only one batch of these Maxamet PM2's released, and how the future of the next batch is uncertain? Sal himself said that they're "Still evaluating."

Well I suspect this is why. I currently have 3 (2 are being given as Christmas gifts on Sunday to my dad and brother), and they're all the same, just like what is shown above. I've looked at 4 others at the factory store, and they were all also the same.

My suspicion is that the thin, hard, very difficult to grind blade is flexing slightly under pressure while the primary grind is being cut on one side. Either that, or some stress is relieved after the reverse side is ground, and the blade flexes slightly before the presentation side is ground. After grinding, the presentation side is nice and flat, but the obverse side has some leftward curve to it towards the tip as you look down the spine from the handle side (as in the pic above). This does create an optical illusion of a bent blade, however, if the blade were actually bent, the presentation side would also curve to the left, which it does not (again, it's nice and flat).

HTH. Based on his previous reply, I suspect Sal will not comment further to confirm/deny. Just use the knife and enjoy the amazing edge retention and cutting prowess that this extremely exotic alloy has to offer. I love my user!!!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I understand it will not affect overall performance. My inquiry was only to ensure I didn’t pay good money for something that shouldn’t be.
Thanks all. Merry Christmas
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Mine is the same. Would have never known if this thread wasn't there. Hasn't affected any of the performance of the knife so no worries here. I love the finish , rounded edges, and color.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Mstach07 wrote: What would you do?
Keep it :)
sfotex

Post by sfotex »

Checked my blade out today, it appears to be straight.
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

Just checked mine, it's a little warped, I'm talking under a 16th inch. The amount mine is off doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I know that there are people who it does.

EDIT: The edge seems to be perfectly strait though... Kinda weird.
sfotex

Post by sfotex »

I picked up a 2nd one and it has a warped tip. Might make it my user and keep the straight one in the safe....
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I have the same thing present on my S110v PM2, but it's a situation where the tip is 'centered' on the midline of the blade, but one side has a straight distal grind to the tip and the other side has a curved distal grind to the tip.

doesn't affect functionality, and I suspect it's an artifact of just how hard to grind these steels are.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!