Police4 FRN ETA

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: Police4 FRN ETA

Post by knivesandbooks »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:58 pm
It also more easily permits variations, sprints, etc. I think a very dark blue (like my old VTR 1000) with a stainless blade would be a good variation. I sure others have their preferences?

sal
Put this out in frn with almost any steel and I'll buy three. Hap40 would be my preferred if it is still going to be Japanese made. However I would not argue with VG10 or ZDP189. My ultimate for this would be if the frn version was made in Taichung with XHP like the Chap FRN. But, Sal, I will be buying any FRN version of the Police 4 and it will be replacing my Enduras.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've been an F1 junky since I was 15 (a long time ago....Stirling Moss and Jimmy Clark)
It was thousand H.P. Porsche 917's racing Mclaren M20's and engine driven fans producing down force instead of wings on Chaparral 2J's which made Ferrari's and those beautiful Lolas seem mundane to my youthful eyes . CanAm was my idea of racing. B.R.M. had a 64 valve engine if I'm not mistaken I know they used it in Formula 1 but I believe I saw it run on the CanAm circut too. CanAm was a proving ground for high tech stuff for those years. It didn't last long but it made a large impression on me. I used to dream of owning a street legal Porsche 917

I will still watch the replays on You tube when I can.

joe
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

dark blue FRN would be nice
no saber please
is K390 the only option? I would like a more stainless option
these are made in Japan but ultimately imported into US, how would these be affected by tariffs on European steels
in theory these should be cheaper in Europe (without tariffs :D ) , but then comes the VAT and there's a commercial war just started and Spyderco's are already horribly expensive in Europe
too bad is still a ways away...
olywa

Post by olywa »

Dark blue FRN, deep-carry wire clip, ffg XHP..... most excellent indeed! Lately I've been choosing fixed blades over large folders, but I'd make an exception for one of these.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

The blade on this will be a little bit longer the the blade on a Military right?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

If it is the same blade as on the G10 P4, then yes.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m in for whatever Police 4 in FRN variations you put out!
Josh
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Any and all steel variation would be great, AFTER the k390 is released. That steel is so **** good on my Urban I must have another. 4.5ish inches of k390 is amazing. Bah I don't know if I can wait for the frn.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 am
The blade on this will be a little bit longer the the blade on a Military right?
Yeah. And thinner.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

At least one production run in partial serrations please.

I used to carry a serrated and nonserrated pair of G-10 Police, until I got one of the last ComboEdge Military.

Perhaps "Enlightened Self Interest" is the term you are looking for Sal?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Knife Knut wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:46 am
At least one production run in partial serrations please.
Oh goodness.... Most people probably wouldn't be fond of such a model, but a FULLY serrated frn k390 police 4 would be the ultimate rope cutter and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. At work I sometimes have to cut rope that is 4+ inches thick of marine grade synthetic material, and it's tough carrying a hacksaw in the pocket.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:56 am
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 am
Yeah. And thinner.
Thinner you say?

I likes me some thin.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'd like to see at least one in blue frn and one in black eventually. Just so I could switch the backspacers and have a thin blue line on a black police. It seems fitting. I'll most likely end up buying one in whatever color they decide to make though.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Baron Mind, Frozenspyder,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

In addition to all black or all blue FRN, a black/blue Zome FRN would make sense and probably look nice as well.
Last edited by m6steen on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

Battlex1

Post by Battlex1 »

I’m a read a lot, talk a little type of guy. That being said, I always appreciate the enthusiasm and knowledge shared here on the Spyderco forum. And I am thankful Sal always participates.

An FRN Police 4 with a combo edge stainless steel would be the last knife I would ever need. I’ll give my rationale based on my personal experience as a first responder.I have carried an Endura in my pocket for nearly 25 years. I have purchased and tried other knives, but the Endura of progressing generations always quickly returns to my EDC. I’ve owned plain edge Enduras, fully serrated, and presently carry a combo edge. I’ve used my Endura to cut seatbelts off patients, I’ve used it to cut entangled plastic bumpers at motorcycle accidents, I’ve used my Endura in the rain, in 110 degree weather, I’ve gone swimming, camping, prepared food, cut open mail, boxes, all the while never feeling it in my pocket, and resting assured that if needed it would perform well in a self defense role.

FRN - I own a Manix and Reslience with G10, I like it a lot. But FRN stands up to abuse better in my experience. Dropping a G-10 handle on to the pavement usually results in a chunk or divot of damage. The bidirectional texturing that Spyderco uses on the Endura can’t be beat IMHO. FRN is also easier to wipe down and keep lint free and clean.
Combo edge - Having the option to do fine slicing, and having the ability to cut through fibrous material all in one 4” foldable blade is priceless. The straight part of the combo edge can be used to slice an apple, pick out a splinter, or cut open a package. Got a rope or similar item, move down on the blade and use the best serrations on a knife you will find, Spydie edge serrations!

Stainless steel - VG 10 has served me very well. I have no experience with the current steel being used on the Police 4, but I do know that first responders are always dealing with blood, sweat, and rain, and do not have the luxury of frequent oil rub downs through work shifts. I would prefer a more stainless blade than the current K390 as it would be more tolerant of unintended neglect and high use environments.

Lock - Backlock is perfect as is, strong, ambidextrous use, and after years of practice can open and close one handed very quickly (very useful when the other hand is occupied holding something).
Lastly, the only thing that the Endura has ever left me wanting for is a longer blade, which an FRN Police 4 would solve.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Thanks for the welcome, Sal.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Battlex1,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words.

It looks like a dark blue, VG-10 blade with 3 variations might be a good variation. the K390 being used on the G-10 version is more of an Afi steel, needing some maintenance. Once the tooling is finished and we make the FRN version, I'll keep the dark blue / 3 variations in mind.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Any chance of a ZDP-189 variant?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Wow! This blade in FRN with (partial-) serrations would be fantastic!
Would probably still occasionally grab the original for the K390 but This in FRN with a combo edge would probably be one of my alltime favorite allround users.
Probably in waistband or backpocket with a Native 5 LW or Chaparral LW in the right pocket for something smaller with a plain edge. :)