VTOKU Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: VTOKU Sprint Run

Post by steelcity16 »

Anywhere else to pre-order beside knifecenter? Are we assuming the preorders are all oversold at this point? Do they not pull them down after receiving as many pre-orders as the number of knives they are expecting?

What online dealers (the ones who don't do pre-orders) should we expect to see these become available at when they are actually delivered to the dealers?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

steelcity16 wrote:Anywhere else to pre-order beside knifecenter? Are we assuming the preorders are all oversold at this point? Do they not pull them down after receiving as many pre-orders as the number of knives they are expecting?

What online dealers (the ones who don't do pre-orders) should we expect to see these become available at when they are actually delivered to the dealers?
No steelcity, most sites don't even post the preorder until they hear its release is coming, KC likes to collect preorders very very very early. I'm waiting to see what plays out with my money at KC.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

sal wrote:We d have some variations in blades on some of these models. eg: Delica Warnie, hawkbills, Emerson openers, etc. Any interest in adding those?

sal
Spyderhawk or Tasman in this steel would be legendary!
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Wanimator wrote:
ZMW wrote:Can someone explain to me why this will be a fun steel? Sounds like a very basic carbon steel, but it can run at higher Rc's. So, what will the edge retention be like? Or, if edge retention is avg, is the joy of this steel the amazing sharp edge it will take?

My only carbon steels are PMA11, K390, and a good ole Kabar Crovan 1095
I'm sort of seconding you on this, however I would very much enjoy to purchase a Stretch in this steel and compare it say, to my grandfather's 100 year old butcher knife while we cut deer together.
You really need to use one of the Super Blue sprints to understand how good this steel will likely be, if performance is similar.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I missed out on the Super blue run unfortunately.
Uprightman

Post by Uprightman »

Just stumbled across this sprint this morning while I was enjoying a cup of tea. Curious about this one, my only steel experiences thus far have have been vg-10, S30v, and CMP-154. Oh and 1095.. Not sure how this would stack up compared to any of those though.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Uprightman wrote:Just stumbled across this sprint this morning while I was enjoying a cup of tea. Curious about this one, my only steel experiences thus far have have been vg-10, S30v, and CMP-154. Oh and 1095.. Not sure how this would stack up compared to any of those though.
Not having used it yet obviously, I would speculate that it sharpens and has similar edge retention & toughness to 1095. It could surprise us all and be treated to a higher hardness and possibly better edge retention. I am looking forward to getting this one in hand soon.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Uprightman

Post by Uprightman »

xceptnl wrote:
Uprightman wrote:Just stumbled across this sprint this morning while I was enjoying a cup of tea. Curious about this one, my only steel experiences thus far have have been vg-10, S30v, and CMP-154. Oh and 1095.. Not sure how this would stack up compared to any of those though.
Not having used it yet obviously, I would speculate that it sharpens and has similar edge retention & toughness to 1095. It could surprise us all and be treated to a higher hardness and possibly better edge retention. I am looking forward to getting this one in hand soon.
Oh that is interesting. I like 1095 in fixed blades because it sharpens up relatively easily.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Do you anticipate all of the VTOKU models to drop at the same time, or do they kind of come in randomly throughout the year?

Do all the dealers get them on the same date, or do you see them pop up at different dealers of the course of a few days/weeks?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

randomly throughout the year
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

They pop up at different dealers over the course of a week or so.
Strider

Post by Strider »

looking to get the dragonfly in zdp 189. any reason I should get this instead?
attila

Post by attila »

Strider wrote:looking to get the dragonfly in zdp 189. any reason I should get this instead?
3 reasons come to mind.

To:
try a new steel
try a new FRN color
enjoy the limited addition cool factor
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Strider wrote:looking to get the dragonfly in zdp 189. any reason I should get this instead?
Sharpenability? VTOKU2 looks to be a easier to sharpen due to fewer alloys. I'm not an expert, just trying to remember what I heard from various places. Deadboxhero has a pretty good summary of what the steel could be:
https://youtu.be/C_Uex1RRkKs
Also, ZDP is always available, so might as well get the VTOKU2 sprint while it is in stock.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Jazz wrote:
sal wrote:We d have some variations in blades on some of these models. eg: Delica Warnie, hawkbills, Emerson openers, etc. Any interest in adding those?

sal
Wharnie Delica for sure. :cool:
Another Wharnie Delica for sure!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I would go for the ZDP because it's out now. And it's awesome!

Then get the V-Toku2/SUS310 when it comes out to compare.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I just took the plunge and preordered a Stretch. :cool:

I think it should prove interesting. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Impulsivity
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

How are your sharpening skills?

ZDP 189 will take an amazingly sharp edge, but it requires some skill. V-Toku2 should be easier to sharpen and tougher at the cost of edge retention.

I love my ZDP189 Endura (and my HAP40 Endura), still planning on buying the V-Toku2 sprint just to try a new steel.

David
Strider

Post by Strider »

twinboysdad wrote:
Impulsivity
Yeah I think this is really the reason. I have the vtoku2 pre-ordered. Just getting impatient. But, I think I will be able to wait.