Any chance another run of tuffs will be made?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GH9000

Any chance another run of tuffs will be made?

Post by GH9000 »

These things second hand are kinda getting out of hand. I could buy two for the price of one if they re-released this thing.

I recently did purchase one second hand but can’t bring myself to use it given the price I paid.

Does anyone know if spyderco could do a small batch of these and how many of you would be in on one if they did?

I know I’d buy two. So if they did a batch of 300-600. We just need buyers for the 298-598.
xceptnl

Re: Any chance another run of tuffs will be made?

Post by xceptnl »

GH9000 wrote:These things second hand are kinda getting out of hand. I could buy two for the price of one if they re-released this thing.

I recently did purchase one second hand but can’t bring myself to use it given the price I paid.

Does anyone know if spyderco could do a small batch of these and how many of you would be in on one if they did?

I know I’d buy two. So if they did a batch of 300-600. We just need buyers for the 298-598.
One of my favorite Schempp designs. I would be in for another run though I would prefer a change in steel.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd like to see it in 20cv.

3v is pretty good for this one, too, though.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

The whole point of the Tuff was to be, uh, Tuff, I mean tough - the toughest folder Ed could design and Spyderco produce. I have two already, but might bite on a Cruwear or PD1 version. Or 4V of Van4E. Or Delta 3V :)
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

Wasn’t 3V chosen cause it’s tough? Ya please leave it with 3V for sure.
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

What’s delta 3V? Like super 3V?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Heck, just make some 3V fixed blade knives. Those would be awesome.
phaust

Post by phaust »

I think it'd be cool to do a Tuff sprint with the original handle texturing (quoting a post from Mr. Blonde with pics of the original)

Mr Blonde wrote:I do believe it’s been about 7 years when I first saw the Tuff concept model, it looked promising but the concept model had always been fairly ‘rough’. This prototype looks pretty well finished to me.

I like the spiky scale with the Reeve Integral Lock, it’s grippy but didn’t seem too sharp. It didn’t seem likely to rip open my hand or anything. It’s big and massive. The fuller looks really cool, and I’m quite anxious to try it out, see how it cuts. The Tuff also makes me want to do overstrikes and spinewhacks; I’m curious just how tough this knife is. I have one major complaint though, the jimping on the spine and inside the choil is –to me- simply too smooth. It doesn’t match up with the grippy G10 scale and the spiked back plate. The knife screams ‘hard use’ folder, and it seems logical to me that you want it to stick to your hand. The jimping is an important interface with the hand. Why not make the jimping nice and deep, like on the Paramilitary 2 for example?

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Nope, it's regular 3V. It's just a marketing term used to mean 3V heat treated a certain way. It was developed as a marketing gimmick and is used by Survive knives and one other knife maker? I forget. Anyways anyone can heat treat it that way but only the guys that developed the whole thing can call it by that name. Kind of like "Carbon V " or Case "CV" .

Joe
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The knife is very well built but I'd prefer a stout lockback if I had a say. The Original slab sided Manix in 3V or Cruwear would be expensive but it would be legendary. The new lockback design is more efficient and better engineered but doesn't seem as beastly as the old Manix lockback for some reason.

Joe
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Maybe 4V?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Nishjin glass scale? That could be cool.
The 3v steel is not a problem. Cruwear, 4v, m4, pd1 could be used.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

The Mastiff wrote:
Nope, it's regular 3V. It's just a marketing term used to mean 3V heat treated a certain way. It was developed as a marketing gimmick and is used by Survive knives and one other knife maker? I forget. Anyways anyone can heat treat it that way but only the guys that developed the whole thing can call it by that name. Kind of like "Carbon V " or Case "CV" .

Joe
It is a different heat treat developed by Dan Keffeler and Nathan Carothers (aka Nathan the Machinist), and Survive knives, and whoever does their heat treat (one of the big heat treat companies - I forget which). Check out the Carothers forum at BF for details. It makes a great steel a little better, according to their testing, and they seem like straight shooters. Most users might not see the difference, but they do tend to run a higher hardness. CPK build quality is outstanding. But I have no issues with the 3V on my Tuffs, so the notion of a sprint in 4V or Van4e for greater edge retention and still very tough or cruwear/PD1 for the combination of toughness and edge retention are all appealing because you still get a Tuff-worthy blade. I just don't really need another one, so it needs to be different enough for me to justify the purchase. Those who missed out on the original - if they do it again still in 3V, it will be just as awesome.

I agree that a different lock would also get my attention - powerlock, stop lock? I'm not a fan of RIL at all. Or Ti handles, for that matter.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I wish!!

Was coon fingering the Domono and the Tuff.. Bought the Domino.. Now it sits in the box.. Shoulda got the Tuff!! :( John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
ohmyheckinslc

Post by ohmyheckinslc »

I'd adore it if the Tuff came out in its originally envisioned form, with an Integral Compression Lock. Not sure why Sal went with the RIL, though I assume a RIL is easier to engineer. Build one with the Integral Compression Lock and something like Nitro-V...and blammo. Instant hit...maybe. :)

(Wow, finally posted something on the Forum... oy...)
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Please make another run. Not picking one of these up is my biggest spyderco regret. A buddy of mine has one and I’m constantly blown away by the feel of this knife in hand.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I definitely want one.

-3V
-Spyderco
-built for hard tasks
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

oh man, another chance to get a tuff for a decent amount of money would be great!
i chickened out the first chance to buy one
so second chance would be a yes!
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

I would be all over a Tuff!! Always want one.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

A new Tuff would definitely be at the top of my "must have" list!!