Police K390...yea it's freaking awesome.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ncmiked

Police K390...yea it's freaking awesome.

Post by Ncmiked »

So I bought my first Police. Reading about the knife intrigued me so when the K390 version came out, now was the time. I have to say the Police has surpassed my expectations. First off, it's operation is butter smooth. It's blade length is surprisingly edc friendly and the over all size works. I didn't expect to like carrying it so much as bigger blades usually don't carry well for me. K390 is really fun too, very nice toothy edge. I finish to a 600 grit SIC, great slicer imho. I'm going to let it patina as I think it goes well with the black G10.
MacLaren

Re: Police K390...yea it's freaking awesome.

Post by MacLaren »

Congratz!
K390 is awesome blade steel.
Ive really enjoyed my Mule over the years.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree! It carries well, slices like crazy and k390 is a solid performer.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The whole blade length vs usability debate really baffles me sometimes. The same people who complain about knives being too big, I wonder if all they use are paring knives in the kitchen? Choke up on the blade in a pinch grip and you have all the control you need.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like K390 quite a lot. It has become my favorite non-stainless steel. I am saving up for the P4 and will have one buy Christmas. You guys talking about it all the time is just tormenting me more. :eek: :D

I think the choice of K390 was inspired. True, it is not stainless, but its characteristics allow for a thinner blade that is as strong as a thicker blade, I believe. It also holds an edge very, very well, and I have not had any chipping or rolling (of course I have not cut down any giant Sequoias, either).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

A little eye candy for you Dan

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JenWrath

Post by JenWrath »

Evil D wrote:The whole blade length vs usability debate really baffles me sometimes. The same people who complain about knives being too big, I wonder if all they use are paring knives in the kitchen? Choke up on the blade in a pinch grip and you have all the control you need.

If I know I won't be in a situation where I need the full length of a millie - like out in the city? I'll carry a smaller bladed knife in addition to a longer one. Same for yard work or maintenance around a property. Having an extra 1 ~ 3 inches to manage that won't be used in the task at all except as a distraction or requiring a grip modification isn't a situation I've been fond of.

I love bigger knives(have a tatanka on the way!), but am very much in favor of getting the right size blade for the job at hand. I figure the less you have to adapt to make your tool work correctly, the less problems you risk running into.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Good to hear! I'll be looking to pick one of these up soon.

Keep some photos coming!

xceptnl, any idea what you cut that resulted in that patina formation? Just curious.
Going back to Caly.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

JenWrath wrote:
Evil D wrote:The whole blade length vs usability debate really baffles me sometimes. The same people who complain about knives being too big, I wonder if all they use are paring knives in the kitchen? Choke up on the blade in a pinch grip and you have all the control you need.

If I know I won't be in a situation where I need the full length of a millie - like out in the city? I'll carry a smaller bladed knife in addition to a longer one. Same for yard work or maintenance around a property. Having an extra 1 ~ 3 inches to manage that won't be used in the task at all except as a distraction or requiring a grip modification isn't a situation I've been fond of.

I love bigger knives(have a tatanka on the way!), but am very much in favor of getting the right size blade for the job at hand. I figure the less you have to adapt to make your tool work correctly, the less problems you risk running into.
This is exactly why I always have a blade of 3" or less on me, and why I modified my GB1 to 3".
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Mine arrived 3 weeks ago and I've carried it every day since. It seems like a natural size now. I replaced it with my ZDP Endura while running errands today and the Endura seemed wimpie by comparison. I use it in the kitchen more often than I have any other Spydies in the past. It's perfect for splitting large croissants -- I just have to be extra careful when cutting toward my hand because I try to keep the blade razor sharp, which is pretty easy. I've used it to peel and slice up mangoes and deliberately left the juice evenly spread over the blade for 5 or 10 minutes, which causes a light, even patina, reminiscent of some of the older Solingen steel Tree Brand knives I carried decades ago, but it probably formed quicker and easier. I like the relatively broad ricasso for this sort of work because it helps keep food away from the pivot area. It patinates similar my 52100 millie, but more even and not quite as dark. I don't go in for abstract mustard paintings on my blades :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

xceptnl wrote:A little eye candy for you Dan

:D ha! Thanks. More salt in the wound. :D

I like it. I see yours has patinated a bit, or is that oil reflecting? Mine has yet to significantly patinate.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpeedHoles wrote:Good to hear! I'll be looking to pick one of these up soon.

Keep some photos coming!

xceptnl, any idea what you cut that resulted in that patina formation? Just curious.
Pork tenderloin, grilled pork chops and steak were the culprits for the blue color. My experience with Superblue was the same. Onions, apples and other veggies tend to just give it a grayish dull finish. I'm interested to see over time how it changes.
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have used mine alot in the kitchen. Noticed then that the primary grinds were slightly off as the knife wants to track one direction consistently when slicing onions and potatoes.
*Landon*
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mine has a slight golden hue from cutting fruit, but you have to look close to see it. Other things, cardboard, plastic, wood, etc. have not affected it at all, of course.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rwponline

Post by rwponline »

No patina yet (my blades usually stay lightly oiled to keep tape and cardboard residue from sticking), but I am enjoying my P4 immensly. It's surpisingly ellegant in hand.

The thin profile and deep carry have even allowed it to sneek into (and for now dominate) my office carry rotation, which is normally the domain of 3-3.5" blades with low profile wire clips.

Another masterful design from Sal and co.!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rwponline,

Welcome to our forum, and thanx much for the kind words.

sal
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

This is a seriously tempting knife after handling it at BLADE, It's sort of a three way between this, the HAP-40 Endura and the Maxamet PM2.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

*Landon*
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

"Freaking awesome" pretty much captures what needs to be said.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

that pic is just... :rolleyes: