A quest for Sal ! Do you like CPM-Cru Wear ?! Well...you'd be blown away by this one...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kbuzbee

Re: A quest for Sal ! Do you like CPM-Cru Wear ?! Well...you'd be blown away by this one...

Post by kbuzbee »

twinboysdad wrote:Would so prefer no cladding and would preferJazz's marigold FRN
YES!

Ken
sal

Re: A quest for Sal ! Do you like CPM-Cru Wear ?! Well...you'd be blown away by this one...

Post by sal »

Cladding depends on the will of the maker.

sal
timlara

Post by timlara »

I'm curious - for the people who don't like cladding, why is it that you don't like it? Is it so you can force a patina over the entire blade?

I personally prefer to have the pivot area of the knife better protected against rust, so I like the cladding, but I get it if it's the patina thing.
Tim
attila

Post by attila »

timlara wrote:I'm curious - for the people who don't like cladding, why is it that you don't like it? Is it so you can force a patina over the entire blade?

I personally prefer to have the pivot area of the knife better protected against rust, so I like the cladding, but I get it if it's the patina thing.
The only thing I don't like about the cladding of HAP40 specifically is that SUS410 scratches super easily in regular use. I don't know the technical aspects of cladding stainless onto tool steels, but I would prefer 420 or even 440 stainless cladding in place of 410 to increase the abrasion (scratch) resistance of the whole blade surface.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
sal

Post by sal »

The cladding has to be balanced in heat treat with the core material.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am planning to do a homemade stonewash on the 420J cladding of my well patina'd Superblue endura. I am hoping to give it a unique look. Perhaps it will catch on and we can see a production sample for future clad models. Though I know I am the minority as most prefer the satin finish.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

sal wrote:The cladding has to be balanced in heat treat with the core material.

sal
Thanks Sal. I wondered about this sort of thing when the Damascus Delica came out earlier this year -- does the same principle apply? I can sort of generally visualize different steels expanding, contracting, etc. in different ways. I imagine you can't just slap any two steels together and have it work out... :confused:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DrawBackwards wrote:
sal wrote:The cladding has to be balanced in heat treat with the core material.

sal
Thanks Sal. I wondered about this sort of thing when the Damascus Delica came out earlier this year -- does the same principle apply? I can sort of generally visualize different steels expanding, contracting, etc. in different ways. I imagine you can't just slap any two steels together and have it work out... :confused:
I would assume the same. Thus why CPM154 (typically a premium blade steel) was used as the cladding for the last Manix 2
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

xceptnl wrote:I am planning to do a homemade stonewash on the 420J cladding of my well patina'd Superblue endura. I am hoping to give it a unique look. Perhaps it will catch on and we can see a production sample for future clad models. Though I know I am the minority as most prefer the satin finish.
I think that would look awesome.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I've never had an Endura so I've been waiting for this one ....
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:23 pm
Hi Marius,

I've used it. Nice chemistry. Nice performer. I'd like one and you'd like one, that's two. Let's see if there is more interest? We'd probably do the Endura family in a sprint.

sal

Is this happening? Would love to try SRS-15. Especially if unclad. There is definitely a gap in the Seki lineup in a lack of an unclad tool steel. Id definitely grab one of each and a handful of Dragonflies. Maybe throw in the Jester as a bonus and I (and everyone else) will grab a handful of those as well!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am a bit late to the party, but after looking this up, I have to say absolutely yes. I would love a Dragonfly in this steel, and why not a Caly 3 or Caly 3.5?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Would love a Cruwearesque Endura and Stretch. Count me in!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Looks like the SRS15 bandwagon is still rolling, albeit slowly ;)

I'm in agreement that a stainless Sprint may finally be in order after several HC and a semi-stainless, at the very least it'll give the folks who obsess over lamination lines a break :D

So if the pulse of interest in an SRS15 Sprint of Japanese lockback folders is still being monitored, I'll just reassert that I'd certainly be in for several!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
talesk

Post by talesk »

Sign me up for at least a delica.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
jrmiller2117

Post by jrmiller2117 »

This steel looks a lot like SG2 with a little bit of tungsten. Does anyone have experience with SRS15 vs SG2 in the kitchen knife realm? I'm super excited for the Massdrop SG2 Delica I ordered and I would definitely be down for a Stretch in SRS15 if it has similar performance.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:05 pm
Looks like the SRS15 bandwagon is still rolling, albeit slowly ;)

I think I can I think I can I think I can....come on guys! SRS! SRS! Who wants SRS-15??? We do! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
awa54

Post by awa54 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:00 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:23 pm
Hi Marius,

I've used it. Nice chemistry. Nice performer. I'd like one and you'd like one, that's two. Let's see if there is more interest? We'd probably do the Endura family in a sprint.

sal

Is this happening? Would love to try SRS-15. Especially if unclad. There is definitely a gap in the Seki lineup in a lack of an unclad tool steel. Id definitely grab one of each and a handful of Dragonflies. Maybe throw in the Jester as a bonus and I (and everyone else) will grab a handful of those as well!

Holy ************!?! if there was an SRS-15 Jester I'd buy a case load! ....well at least two. ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:52 pm
Would so prefer no cladding and would preferJazz's marigold FRN
Do tell? What color is this?

Also, is the delica wharncliffe a standard blade shape now, and will it be included in these sprints? Can’t wait to try mine, I just ordered one of the hap40 ones.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:25 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:52 pm
Would so prefer no cladding and would preferJazz's marigold FRN
Do tell? What color is this?

Also, is the delica wharncliffe a standard blade shape now, and will it be included in these sprints? Can’t wait to try mine, I just ordered one of the hap40 ones.

A Wharnie Delica would be a cool one in unclad SRS-15. Definitely want to try a Wharnie out soon. May grab the S30V version.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.