Do you use the brass guard rods with the sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you use the brass guard rods with your sharpmaker?

Yes (And I have never cut myself using my sharpmaker)
50%
Yes (And I have cut myself using my sharpmaker)
No votes
No (And I have never cut myself using my sharpmaker)
49%
No (And I have cut myself using my sharpmaker)
1%

Total votes: 84

Fred Sanford

Re: Do you use the brass guard rods with the sharpmaker?

Post by Fred Sanford »

The Deacon wrote:Don't use the brass rods but, in fairness, I only ever use the Sharpmaker to sharpen my serrated knives. Since my serrated K04 and K05 Kitchen Sharps are the only serrated knives I use, and then only rarely, the Sharpmaker sees very little use. All my plain edged blades are sharpened freehand, with DMT diamond stones. Never cut myself with the Sharpmaker, but did cut myself on the plastic "clam pack" it came in. :o
This is me exactly as well. I freehand everything except serrated edges.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

I use a bar clamp to clamp the sharpmaker base to my work bench so I don't have my second hand in harms way. Makes it quick and easy to change angles or stones
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:Lol, I'm not sure how it's a waste of time, if your life is so stressed for time that you can't spare the .003 seconds it takes to stick the rods into the base then I don't see how you can live with H1 as your primary EDC steel when it needs sharpened so often. It's merely a precaution. Just because you've never cut yourself doesn't mean you never will. Using them means I at least have a very simple and very easy to use safety measure in place that might save my hand. I'm really kind of shocked this is even in question. It's like I said in the other thread, I've never needed my airbag but it might save my life someday. It doesn't make sense to me to remove it just because I've never needed it before.
I think equating a high speed car crash with a minor cut is pretty silly to be honest. To me its more like putting on a seatbelt while sitting in a parked car waiting for someone :p

I've beenin multiple accidents involving cars hitting me but haven't ever cut myself while sharpening a knife using any method, fwiw. Also like I said in the OP I almost never use the sharpmaker base. When I touch up my H1 knives, PE or SE, I freehand it with a sharpmaker stone in one hand and knife in the other. So brass rods would do be no good in that scenario. But when I do use the base....still no rods! I also carry hand guns with no manual 1911 style safety.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a good thing we're talking about sharpening with all the hairs that are being split in this thread lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:It's like I said in the other thread, I've never needed my airbag but it might save my life someday. It doesn't make sense to me to remove it just because I've never needed it before.
Guess you're one of the lucky ones not worrying that even a minor "bumper thumper" accident will have you playing Russian roulette with your Takata airbag. :eek: As for me, I sincerely wish I knew how to remove or disable mine.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Guess the brass rods make the Sharpmaker safer, but I never use them.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I can't say that I've ever used them either. I take my time, and if I'm holding the Sharpmaker, I keep that hand way back on the base.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote: stabbed myself in the forehead. That is a true story I'm ashamed to say. :rolleyes: :D
Lance, I always look on the bright side of life and I reckon every black cloud has a silver lining so stabbing yourself in the dial isn’t a biggie. :)

One day when you’re bouncing little grandkiddies on your lap and they ask “What happened there Poppy?” you can say back in ’15 (or whenever it happened) when I was fishing in the jungle in Costa Rica I got stabbed with a Spyderco (whatever model). You wouldn’t be lying or necessarily have to tell them you actually stabbed yourself and the little ones would be rapt that you lived to tell the tale. :cool:

Alternatively, you could use a face shield while sharpening … just a thought. :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Not poking yourself in the eye is already a plus in my book Lance.
sal

Post by sal »

Gail and I ALWAYS use our guards. We've learned from years of experience that it is a good idea.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The brass guards are always in place when I use the Sharpmaker, unless I'm sharpening broadheads. I once cut myself badly with a SE Harpy, so I take no chances. :o
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

When I started using the Sharpmaker I always used them, but I figured out it would be really difficult to cut myself with the motion used to sharpen, so I stopped using the rods. I've never cut me while using the Sharpmaker and I've used it a lot for more than 6 years, so I don't really find a need for the rods.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Surfingringo wrote:I almost always use them but I usually only use the one facing me. Only having to use and switch one rod keeps it from becoming tedious which keeps me from from neglecting to use them altogether. I cut myself once but it had nothing to do with the rods. I was tired and Sharpening and I had an itch on my face. I scratched myself with the hand holding the knife and lightly stabbed myself in the forehead. That is a true story I'm ashamed to say. :rolleyes: :D
That's like spilling your expensive single malt when somebody asks you what time it is. At least nobody saw you and you didn't waste and expensive glass of whiskey :D
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Not poking yourself in the eye is already a plus in my book Lance.
So what you're saying is it would have been better to include safety glasses with the sharpmaker rather than the brass rods since nobody uses them? :p
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Midnightrider wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Not poking yourself in the eye is already a plus in my book Lance.
So what you're saying is it would have been better to include safety glasses with the sharpmaker rather than the brass rods since nobody uses them? :p
Hhhmmm might be a good idea at that. :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:
Hhhmmm might be a good idea at that. :D
I wear a football helmet and water wings now. Safety first.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:I wear a football helmet and water wings now. Safety first.
Lance, I'm really starting to worry!

Please tell me you're not using your SharpMaker while fishing from your 'yak! :confused:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I wear a football helmet and water wings now. Safety first.
Lance, I'm really starting to worry!

Please tell me you're not using your SharpMaker while fishing from your 'yak! :confused:
Nah, just in the kitchen. The water wings are just to counterbalance the chainmail armor I wear in case there's a flood or something. It's good to plan ahead. Don't judge me!

https://youtu.be/2Ru9LfkScRQ
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

You're a kook! :p
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I use the safety guard rods. I appreciate that they are brass instead of steel, too.