S90V DLC Yojimbo 2 (coyote brown) Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
timlara

Re: S90V DLC Yojimbo 2 (coyote brown) Exclusive

Post by timlara »

ZrowsN1s wrote: How do you feel about Blurple and DLC S110V? :D
I would feel pretty, pretty good about that. :D

I think I remember Michael Janich saying that he wanted the original Yojimbo scales to blend in with jeans. The actual G10 ended up being a much brighter blue, but I still think it would be really cool to have a darker "denim" colored Yo2. The Blurple is close enough for something that already exists, but a dark blue denim color would be great.

But back on topic, I will state again, this coyote exclusive looks great and I would definitely pick one up if I had the funds atm.
Tim
palonej

Post by palonej »

timlara wrote:
Evil D wrote:Knife Center says they almost sold out over the weekend. Is it too soon to say I told ya so? I was asking for this 5 years ago lol.
Yep, I suspect a regular production "blackout" version would sell very well also. If I wasn't way over budget on knife spending lately, I would be all over this one...

I'm still waiting for the "blurple" regular production variant, too. :)
I recall Mike J saying the Yoji wouldn't be getting the s110v treatment.
Can't remember why tho.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It's all been said already, so I'll just agree with what everyone has said. It's perfect! I'm also reconsidering doing a scale swap. I think I'll leave it be.

I should have bought two!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
palonej

Post by palonej »

After holding it, fondling it and drooling over it......I'm leaving it just the way it is! The only other sprint I have left alone is the Cutlery Shoppe XHP Para 2. This one is just as pretty stock!!
Joe
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

palonej wrote:
timlara wrote:
Evil D wrote:Knife Center says they almost sold out over the weekend. Is it too soon to say I told ya so? I was asking for this 5 years ago lol.
Yep, I suspect a regular production "blackout" version would sell very well also. If I wasn't way over budget on knife spending lately, I would be all over this one...

I'm still waiting for the "blurple" regular production variant, too. :)
I recall Mike J saying the Yoji wouldn't be getting the s110v treatment.
Can't remember why tho.
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been confirmed yet by Spyderco. I'm really hoping you're wrong as a lot of us are hoping to see an S110V Yo2.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
palonej

Post by palonej »

I'm also in the group that was asking for it!
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

It's here... I actually flagged down the mailman (around 1200) to ask about it since the status was 'Out for Delivery' he said he had it but it was buried under a lot of mail; he came by again around 1700 and delivered it, he's notorious for delivering our mail to our neighbors :spyder:
YojimboS90V_A_080717 (Medium).JPG
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Well done! Enjoy! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

This is my first Yojimbo 2 and it is totally killer!!! I have yet to cut anything with it, but as someone else has already said, I have no doubt this beauty with its thin, hollow grind is going to be one heck of an incredible cutter. If anyone is on the fence about picking up their first (or second) Yojimbo 2, I would move quickly before they are gone. If you don't, regrets are almost guaranteed.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The second shot is for David. The blade on the right is the CF S90V Yojimbo 2. The middle is a standard S30V Yojimbo 2, but it's newer than the CF S90V, and as you can see, it's thin like the brown S90V exclusive on the left.

It could be a fluke, but both newer blades are noticibly thinner than the older CF version.

@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Trio looks great LQ.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's crazy, looking at all the pics of this beauty I am seriously thinking about selling my Native 5 forum knife, so I can replace its S90V steel in my collection with this Yo2. Partly because lightweight FRN scales like used on the N5 are my least favourite scale type. N5s are also available with G-10 scales, and it's a permanent multiple steel choices model, so I shall easily be able to add it again later on with a new steel. The forum knife is actually my second N5 already, first one was a S35VN version, and I sold it with quite some loss... :( which is why I'm hesitating... if I'd be able to sell the forum N5 with no loss, which is never guaranteed I guess, I'd jump on this Yo2 beauty.......
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Having never held a Yo2, but trying to justify buying one of these, how practical of an EDC knife is the Yo2?? I know what it was designed for, but my use would be EDC and prob. misc. camping duties.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thanks to everyone for your excitement for this Yo 2 Exclusive and the Yo 2 in general.

With regard to a Yo 2 in CPM S110V, I never said there was a reason why Spyderco wasn't planning one, I simply said I wasn't aware of any plans to do the Yo 2 in that steel. Like anything else, if that's what you'd like to see from Spyderco, make your wishes known here. Get enough people asking for the same thing for a good reason and Spyderco tends to listen...

Stay safe,

Mike

P.S. The Yo 2 makes a great EDC knife. If your EDC needs would be met by a practical cutting tool like a Stanley utility knife, the Yo 2 will serve you well. If EDC tasks, to you, include field dressing a moose, stabbing through an aircraft fuselage, splitting kindling, or chipping concrete, you might want to reconsider.
P.P.S. One of my hopes for the original Yojimbo was denim-colored G-10 or Micarta scales. Back then (17 years ago), G-10 only came in the four standard industrial colors. Custom G-10 colors required a huge investment and the Yojimbo was "different" for its time, so we got standard black and "IBM blue." Nowadays, the spectrum of G-10 colors is much broader.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Michael Janich wrote:P.S. The Yo 2 makes a great EDC knife. If your EDC needs would be met by a practical cutting tool like a Stanley utility knife, the Yo 2 will serve you well. If EDC tasks, to you, include field dressing a moose, stabbing through an aircraft fuselage, splitting kindling, or chipping concrete, you might want to reconsider.
I cut a lot of fruit at my desk. I haven't tried it with a Stanley utility knife, but I think I'll try slicing my apple with a Yo2 today and see how it goes.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

buccilli15 wrote:Having never held a Yo2, but trying to justify buying one of these, how practical of an EDC knife is the Yo2?? I know what it was designed for, but my use would be EDC and prob. misc. camping duties.
Not sure how it would work for camping. I use mine to open boxes, plastic packaging, rope, letters, etc. No food prep or anything like that yet. If I were going camping I wouldn't just bring a yojimbo 2. It works great as a general utility knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote: Image

The second shot is for David. The blade on the right is the CF S90V Yojimbo 2. The middle is a standard S30V Yojimbo 2, but it's newer than the CF S90V, and as you can see, it's thin like the brown S90V exclusive on the left.

It could be a fluke, but both newer blades are noticibly thinner than the older CF version.

Yeah my original run standard version does appear to be thinner than the S90V/CF version. I suppose it's possible those were just ran thicker?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are really only 2 things the Yojimbo 2 doesn't excel at in EDC, and that's "cutting board" style cutting where you need to cut something that's laying on a flat surface, and making deep slices into rigid material since the blade is thick and low hollow ground so it tends to bind up at the top of the grind. I have chopped veggies with mine just to see how it does and it does ok if you can hold the handle in a way that your fingers aren't under the grip (in a pinch style grip), then it dices pretty well. It doesn't slice tomatoes as well as a FFG blade would but unless you're scoring points on ****'s Kitchen nobody is going to judge you if your tomato slices are a bit uneven ;)
~David
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Evil D wrote:There are really only 2 things the Yojimbo 2 doesn't excel at in EDC, and that's "cutting board" style cutting where you need to cut something that's laying on a flat surface, and making deep slices into rigid material since the blade is thick and low hollow ground so it tends to bind up at the top of the grind. I have chopped veggies with mine just to see how it does and it does ok if you can hold the handle in a way that your fingers aren't under the grip (in a pinch style grip), then it dices pretty well. It doesn't slice tomatoes as well as a FFG blade would but unless you're scoring points on ****'s Kitchen nobody is going to judge you if your tomato slices are a bit uneven ;)
Some "cutting board style" tasks are actually perfect for this knife IMO. Just one example would be cutting leather. The grind and profile make for very easy and precise cuts that something more upswept will not be as good at.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

on_the_edge wrote:
Evil D wrote:There are really only 2 things the Yojimbo 2 doesn't excel at in EDC, and that's "cutting board" style cutting where you need to cut something that's laying on a flat surface, and making deep slices into rigid material since the blade is thick and low hollow ground so it tends to bind up at the top of the grind. I have chopped veggies with mine just to see how it does and it does ok if you can hold the handle in a way that your fingers aren't under the grip (in a pinch style grip), then it dices pretty well. It doesn't slice tomatoes as well as a FFG blade would but unless you're scoring points on ****'s Kitchen nobody is going to judge you if your tomato slices are a bit uneven ;)
Some "cutting board style" tasks are actually perfect for this knife IMO. Just one example would be cutting leather. The grind and profile make for very easy and precise cuts that something more upswept will not be as good at.
Oh if used like a utility knife then yes absolutely, I just meant if you need a lot of belly on the cutting board.
~David