Pakkawood Endura HAP40 exclusive at KC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: Pakkawood Endura HAP40 exclusive at KC

Post by jdw »

What a beautiful knife and in one of my favorite models!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Preordered a Delica. This and the sprint Caly will pretty much do for my LBK needs along with my Cat.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Really interested in what this material feels like in-hand. Stoked to have the classy look of wood, but not have to constantly worry about the elements or general use taking its toll on the scales.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Sharp Guy wrote: I believe the ads say the backspacer will be stainless steel.
Thanks Sharp Guy. I read the text more carefully rather than just staring at the pics :D.

In general, I am not a huge fan of the stainless backspacer since they seem to show dings much more than the surrounding scales (thinking of my chaparral). That said, stainless will probably look the best next to the mahogany pakkawood. Can't wait for this one! Hap40 and wood scales.

On a side note - Sal mentioned that the wharnie delica will coming out in Hap40. Wondering if those scales will be burnt orange first, or possibly matching mahogany...
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

twinboysdad wrote:This was mentioned at Blade?? Is this the only wood handle coming? I thought there was a blue wood handle as well? I guess my question is KC the only place to get one?
I saw the blue handles at Blade. They were testing them out at the time, but that was probably more to do with the material itself, not the color. This is a good choice, but I think the blue was prettier. Maybe the blue-handled version will be a Sprint instead of an exclusive.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Knifecenter just told me they should be getting these in the next few days
Last edited by Slumblor on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

^^^Awesome News^^^
anycal

Post by anycal »

Slumblor wrote:Knifecentre just told me they should be getting these in the next few days
Oh hejsus! That soon? I was hoping I would have some time to save my milk money.
Peter
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

anycal wrote:
Slumblor wrote:Knifecentre just told me they should be getting these in the next few days
Oh hejsus! That soon? I was hoping I would have some time to save my milk money.
Lol, same here. I regret my lack of self control regarding Spydercos.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Well I pre-ordered the Delica ya dirty bunch of enablers! ;)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My apprehension on this is the wood getting wet. Would it expand or be an issue? I have a no safe queen policy and just wonder if the wood scales are as liquid friendly as FRN
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I get the impression that it is wood soaked and encased in the same type of resin that micarta is made with. It should be just as inert. I suppose I could research instead of conjecturing, but eh, it's the weekend.

https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated.co ... pakka-wood

The first reply is pretty confident in Pakkawood being inert. Another site agrees. It's wood soaked in plastic, so you should have no worries. I'd be more worried about rusting the knife than ruining the handles.
Last edited by PayneTrain on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have kitchen knives with wooden handles that are holding up great. I can't imagine that Spyderco is going to do a worse job with their wooden scales.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would imagine that it is every bit as weather tolerant as laminated wooden gun stocks are. As far as I can tell it is basically the same thing. I have a .270 with a laminated wood stock and stainless barrel that has been used in some very wet and dirty environments. The stainless is bead blasted and has a rather rough finish and it, due to harsh treatment, does have some discoloration. The wooden stock has some scuffs and scratches but it has never shown any warping or swelling or any other sort of effects from moisture.

That rifle has spent a lot if time with me hunting out of a backpacking tent and has been wet for a week at a time without getting inside a building to dry out properly. It has never seemed to mind.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:Seems like this in Stretch form would be right up Paul's alley.
If it was a VG-10 Stretch 2, it certainly would. :) HAP-40, not so much. :(
twinboysdad wrote:My apprehension on this is the wood getting wet. Would it expand or be an issue? I have a no safe queen policy and just wonder if the wood scales are as liquid friendly as FRN
Pakawood is a stabilized plywood product. The wood is literally soaked in resin. Short of leaving it submerged in water for days, or putting it in the dishwasher, moisture should not be a problem. As someone else mentioned, a fair number of kitchen knives use it, or Dymondwood which is very similar, and Buck has been using it on 110's for at least 50 years and uses it on other models as well.

Frankly when paired with HAP-40, if you "ride it hard and put it away wet", you're a lot more likely to damage the blade than the Pakawood.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Anybody planning on puttying over the 3 sets of clip holes you're not planning on using? :D
Peter
anycal

Post by anycal »

EDCing wife's Delica, as I am 'bating between it and the Endura.

Haven't used it in months. Forgot how nice it feels. Middle finger flickable. Never handled an Endura. What to do, what to do...

Peter
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

anycal wrote:EDCing wife's Delica, as I am 'bating between it and the Endura.

Haven't used it in months. Forgot how nice it feels. Middle finger flickable. Never handled an Endura. What to do, what to do...

Get both!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Slumblor wrote:Get both!
That would be the easiest thing to do. Not with this stupid 'three knife limit for rest of the year' goal, which I haven't fully subscribed to yet. I must have rearranged my wishlist at least five times in the last couple of months. Painful every time!
Peter
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Couldn't help my self and preordered it. I just love the endura and have been wanting a non frn version.
shaztecs_knives on instagram