Been carrying my Cat, again.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Been carrying my Cat, again.

Post by Doc Dan »

I dug out my Cat...you know, my travel knife. I have been carrying it a lot over the last two weeks. What a great design and mine has jimping top and bottom.

What I really like is how easy it is to get a really sharp edge on the 440C blade. I used the knife until the blade got so dull it would no longer slice paper. Then, I sharpened it free hand on a diamond hone, first medium, then fine. After that I stropped it on a plain leather belt like a barber does his razor. That knife now has an extremely sharp edge on it. It will pop the hairs off of my arm. I opened one of those shipping packages that has all the loose paper stuffing in between the layers. The knife went through it like the paper wasn't there (and I got ground paper stuffing all over the floor, much to my wife's annoyance). It helps that the blade is so thin.

This is a great little knife for the money. It is finished so well anyone would think it cost two or three times what it actually did.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jmh58

Re: Been carrying my Cat, again.

Post by jmh58 »

My CAT is probably my most carried Spyderco.. It was my first knife I bought after discovering this site in 2013.. I too think the 440C is a fine steel as I put a real nice edge on it then promptly sliced my finger open to the tune of 13 stitches that day!! :o I have had a dozen or so Spydercos come and go since 13 but my CAT.. NEVER!!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
palonej

Post by palonej »

Couldn't agree more!!
My Cat is on me constantly!! It feels so great in hand and is as tough as nails!! With index finger in choil and thumb resting on ramp this bad boy can do anything!
Mine has a BD1 blade and it also sharpens up very easily to a screaming sharp slicing machine!!
A truly BIG little knife!
Love this one!! A sprint would be awesome.......Red G10 and 110v would be quite interesting f!!
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2557.JPG
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Great big-little knife for office carry. Only thing that bugs me is the liner lock pushes the blade way off center when closed. My ocd is not having any of that.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

I love my Cat as well. A Taichung made Cat, with the same upgrades the Rhino is getting, would be a no-brainer.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

One thing about the Cat and Urban LW designs, they are not much bigger than a Dragonfly. However, they have significant advantages. First, you get a longer and wider blade. Second, they are just large enough to make opening and closing them easier. This is important as I get older.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Mine is "jimpless" and 440c steel. It was my first Taiwan-made knife, and extremely well made even though I believe it's from the Taipei factory instead of Taichung, which is famous for fit & finish. I carried another knife this small for about 15 years before I retired and discovered Spyderco, but since then I've been carrying mainly larger knives... except for the Dragonfly or Balance in my shirt pocket ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
g4nz0

Post by g4nz0 »

I'm really tempted by this knife - given the good reviews here and the fact that it is compliant for carrying into Federal installations (2.44 inch blade). Not familiar with the CTS-BD1 steel, how does it relate/compare with VG10 or other more common alloys in Spyderco's lineup?

very cool and thanks for sharing!

LV
Toter

Post by Toter »

They are great little knives, but be aware that the blade length of current models out of the box is 2.5 inches, so not meeting the letter of the law for federal buildings (less than 2.5 inch blade). As others have noted, that is easily fixed by those with the talent to do it (or resources to have someone else do so).
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

BD-1 is in the 440C class of steels, though many like it better. It is a decent all around steel and is easy to sharpen.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
g4nz0

Post by g4nz0 »

Doc Dan wrote:BD-1 is in the 440C class of steels, though many like it better. It is a decent all around steel and is easy to sharpen.
How is the G-10? Grippy that tears at the pant pockets? :eek:

LV
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

g4nz0 wrote:How is the G-10? Grippy that tears at the pant pockets? :eek:

LV
The G10 on mine doesn't seem quite as "grippy" as the G10 on my Golden models.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

g4nz0 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:BD-1 is in the 440C class of steels, though many like it better. It is a decent all around steel and is easy to sharpen.
How is the G-10? Grippy that tears at the pant pockets? :eek:

LV
It is not very grippy. It is smooth enough that it will not tear nor wear your clothing. It is about perfect for a dedicated pocket knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
g4nz0

Post by g4nz0 »

So...I just ordered it for $46 and change from the great river down south. Lets see how that goes! Thanks for the advice.

LV
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

g4nz0 wrote:So...I just ordered it for $46 and change from the great river down south. Lets see how that goes! Thanks for the advice.

LV
NICE!! Tell us what ya think after you coon finger it for a spell!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

g4nz0 wrote:So...I just ordered it for $46 and change from the great river down south. Lets see how that goes! Thanks for the advice.

LV
Money well spent. Let us know how you like it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
2 bears

Post by 2 bears »

Cat is in my rotation. Just carried it yesterday! Great knife!
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Can we PLEASE get a "new" Cat with both FRN and G10 scales and a CTS-XHP blade with jimping and an ever-so-slightly < 2.5" blade??

I would buy at least three of each!
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am always in for an upgraded Cat as long as the detent is good and strong.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

An upgraded Cat would be very nice, particularly with PB washers :)
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!