Police4 pics and impressions ( pics restored )

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Re: Police4 pics and impressions

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Thanks for the review, Darby, particularly the comparison shots. This one has been high on my list for awhile and this review did nothing to dissuade me from that position. I really appreciate the effort you put into the detailed review!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Darby,

Thanks a lot for the details!
Having had Resilience, I think I'll like this. In lockback to say the least! :eek:

Now where's that hug icon :D
Chris :spyder:
ramasipsc

Post by ramasipsc »

Nice review, thanks!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks guys!

D, sorry but I do not have a C54 Calypso. It is one of the ones I regret letting get away. The brown sprint was going for a reasonable price for quite a while. I should have got one then. Maybe I still will, they do pop up on the exchange from time to time.

I really wish I had a Police3 for comparison. That would probably be helpful as well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and thanks for the pictures. Looks to be quite a nice piece, and a nice carry for something that big when opened. I think I'll pick one up when they are released. Should be soon enough.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks for the great info Darby! I'm on the fence on this one. Part of me thinks it will be a little too big for me but it looks nice and slim in both width and thickness so it might be one of those knives that carries smaller than its size.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

One thing I see that I like is no lanyard hole, just like the Yojimbo 2. I like lanyards on 2.5" and under only, wish they would leave them off of some of the large and mid sized knives.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

With knives this big it takes some good engineering to keep it from being clunky. This large knife has a sleekness to the design that doesn't come by accident. I like the Police 3 but I believe strongly I'm going to enjoy this one much more. Sure, the steel will be part of it but the refinements to an already good design have me more than sold. As usual it's now about the wait. :)

Great review Bear. Thanks! The ones in hand help with perspective.

Joe
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

The Mastiff wrote:With knives this big it takes some good engineering to keep it from being clunky. This large knife has a sleekness to the design that doesn't come by accident. I like the Police 3 but I believe strongly I'm going to enjoy this one much more. Sure, the steel will be part of it but the refinements to an already good design have me more than sold. As usual it's now about the wait. :)

Great review Bear. Thanks! The ones in hand help with perspective.

Joe
I thought the Police 3 wasn't too bad, even had Krein regrind mine for me, but ended up selling it. I agree with you that the refinements in the Police 4 look like a step forward, and I'll probably be buying myself one.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:One thing I see that I like is no lanyard hole, just like the Yojimbo 2. I like lanyards on 2.5" and under only, wish they would leave them off of some of the large and mid sized knives.

... but, if you decide you need one on there to tie to your hand for a certain task, like you're up high and don't want to drop it, it's nice to have it there. You can always just take it off afterward. I only put fobs on the wee ones too, but I like the hole being there.
- best wishes, Jazz.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hadn't even noticed the absence of a lanyard hole. Just assumed it was there, like almost all my other Spydies, including my Tatanka.

Hmmm. Well, methinks this knife will be a different Spyderco experience, so OK. The blade sure maxes out the handle's real estate without a lanyard hole.

Besides, the lanyard on my Tatanka serves no purpose as the knife is just too big and heavy for my pockets.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good review - thank you!

It's certainly a nice looking knife, and that blade:handle ratio is very impressive. You could almost get away calling it the Caly4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Thanks guys!

D, sorry but I do not have a C54 Calypso. It is one of the ones I regret letting get away. The brown sprint was going for a reasonable price for quite a while. I should have got one then. Maybe I still will, they do pop up on the exchange from time to time.

I really wish I had a Police3 for comparison. That would probably be helpful as well.
I was shocked to see the Police 4 is checking in at a good half in longer blade than the Calypso. That's a whole lot of blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jazz wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:One thing I see that I like is no lanyard hole, just like the Yojimbo 2. I like lanyards on 2.5" and under only, wish they would leave them off of some of the large and mid sized knives.

... but, if you decide you need one on there to tie to your hand for a certain task, like you're up high and don't want to drop it, it's nice to have it there. You can always just take it off afterward. I only put fobs on the wee ones too, but I like the hole being there.
ZYoLan5.jpg
ZYoLan4.jpg
ZYoLan3.jpg
ZYoLan2.jpg
ZYoLan.jpg
;) :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Oh, a wise guy, eh? Actually, that's a great idea for a pillared construction knife.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well it would work in a pinch. Probably not so much for edc :D (And obviously won't work on police 4)

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I thought the Police 3 wasn't too bad, even had Krein regrind mine for me, but ended up selling it. I agree with you that the refinements in the Police 4 look like a step forward, and I'll probably be buying myself one.
It's great seeing you back posting here Mike!

I have always gotten warm fuzzy feelings looking at that large slab of well ground VG10 on those Police 3's. I ended up buying a second as a spare because I liked it so much. It's difficult wearing Spyderco's out though and the spare is still NIB. I'll probably go through the same thing with the new ones. No sense arguing with myself when it's an inevitability.

Joe
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Awesome review Darby, you really covered all the bases for us well! This is one I'm anxiously awaiting (so much K390!), and your review definitely helped cement my want for one.

It is very curious how the clip in the tip down position really goes off-center like that (and it would have been such a simple design fix too). Sitting next to your Millie in that shot really accentuates that. Could you do me a favor and just lay a clip down in the tip up position to see where it lands please?

Otherwise, I agree with you on the black G10 choice, especially these days when they certainly have better stocks of colored G10. Where's the darn navy blue G10?!? My only other desire would have been to see the blade be a bit narrower so it wasn't as wide as a Millie when closed, but I reckon that a blade that long needs that width or it would be possibly susceptible to snapping at the Spyderhole.

Let us know how it continues to hold up Darby, and hopefully the rest of us can play with some very soon. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Here ya go Radioactive. The quality of the pics is low and I played with the exposure to get them visible. It is a sticky 95 degrees here today and I didn't want to go outside or put on something besides gym shorts or even open the blinds.

I may be in the minority but I LOVE black clips! Yeah!!!!!!!

For those who care, it did come tip up out of the box. I hope this helps too. :)

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Here ya go Radioactive. The quality of the pics is low and I played with the exposure to get them visible. It is a sticky 95 degrees here today and I didn't want to go outside or put on something besides gym shorts or even open the blinds.

For those who care, it did come tip up out of the box. I hope this helps too. :)
Thanks Darby! It's good to see it's properly aligned to the knife in the proper position. ;) :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King