Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueblur

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by blueblur »

Paul, I have a question that's sort of unrelated to the knife. You have an interesting maker's mark with the lines and circles. I noticed most maker's marks usually are composed of the maker's initials but yours seems more like a symbol. Is there a story behind how you came up with it? Is there a meaning behind it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

blueblur wrote:Paul, I have a question that's sort of unrelated to the knife. You have an interesting maker's mark with the lines and circles. I noticed most maker's marks usually are composed of the maker's initials but yours seems more like a symbol. Is there a story behind how you came up with it? Is there a meaning behind it?

It's a P and a for Paul Alexander.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Sliverax is not on my list, better options out there and interesting pieces keep on coming

This concept of thin handle behind the pivot plus compression lock I think I've seen it first in Junior by DiAlex, it was copied into Ouroboros and now the same ideea into Sliverax, I wonder if all of this designer's new designs will follow this route

Junior looked OK because of that high blade, I can't tell the same about this

Compression lock flipper might seem like a novelty but as far I can see people prefer to mill out the flipper tab because it looks better and operates better and this alone tells a lot about this

I think Spyderco in it's rush to always bring something "new" is strugling with this variety, not always in a good way
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I disassembled, cleaned, lubed the Sliverax last night. The action's better than ever! While it was apart I did a little inspecting and noticed the detent ball has a little flat on it. The knife flips great and flicks even better so I'm not too worried about it at this point. I'll keep an eye on it to see if anything changes.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Evil D wrote:
blueblur wrote:Paul, I have a question that's sort of unrelated to the knife. You have an interesting maker's mark with the lines and circles. I noticed most maker's marks usually are composed of the maker's initials but yours seems more like a symbol. Is there a story behind how you came up with it? Is there a meaning behind it?

It's a P and a for Paul Alexander.
D’s got it... but it’s so much more...

contemplative face - furrowed brow, pinched corner of the mouth... me at the beginning of the design phase, trying to figure out how to realize an idea
B0C80921-EDAF-4364-88A9-8DCB370B4697.jpeg
insightful face - raised eyebrow, an almost-smile... me when I finally have figured it out (or at least think I have...)
472E0243-8724-474A-8ABA-986EFB4EBCF0.jpeg
Not sure what the other orientation is...
something in Russian?

Have a good one,
- Paul
foofie

Post by foofie »

Awesome Paul! Thanks for sharing.
Now I definitely want a maker's sticker.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Got my stickers the other day, thx Paul!!

Wanted to post a couple in hand shots of my most used grips.

The extreme negative blade angle and ultra secure handle shape make the Sliverax a ferocious slicer. I'm having trouble finding something to compare it to, it's in a class of its own. Almost like I stumbled across alien technology... :eek:

Pinch grip for finer detail work and the odd food prep task. The broad, round shape of the scales around the pivot provide an ideal platform:

Still seriously pumped about this design. Mine has broken in beautifully. My only regert is that I have an office job where its size is a bit out of place, so carry time is limited outside of home/weekends, but that is also true of my other 3+ inchers.

Anyone one else have thoughts to share after having the Sliverax around for a few weeks?
:spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nate wrote: Anyone one else have thoughts to share after having the Sliverax around for a few weeks?

What surprised me the most is how used to it I am. I expected it to feel foreign to me for a while since I've carried a Military almost exclusively for so long now but using it had become second nature. The blade angle does indeed make it an aggressive slicer. Really just hoping for more steel options.
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ha, my only issue I had in that regard is that I reached for a choil that isn't there once or twice, but I always need to watch out for that since my folders are overwhelmingly 50/50 choil models. Thankfully I always seem to catch myself in time. (Famous last words lol...)
Elderberry

Post by Elderberry »

anyone find either a pattern to do 3d milling myself, or a supplier of custom scales for this awesome knife?

Carbon/G10 is nice, but I want to make one with natural micarta and don't have the setup to do it right myself.

Also looking for flat screws like the PM2 has.

and what about a sprint run with better steel?

I know.. never satisfied...
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Elderberry wrote:anyone find either a pattern to do 3d milling myself, or a supplier of custom scales for this awesome knife?

Carbon/G10 is nice, but I want to make one with natural micarta and don't have the setup to do it right myself.

Also looking for flat screws like the PM2 has.

and what about a sprint run with better steel?

I know.. never satisfied...
https://instagram.com/p/Bcd9ERnla5o/

Try these people on instagram. Send them a DM. They told me it would be $74 shipped.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

hambone56rx wrote:https://instagram.com/p/Bcd9ERnla5o/

Try these people on instagram. Send them a DM. They told me it would be $74 shipped.
I might have to get me a set of those!
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Got mine and didn't expect to keep it. It's hard to explain but it's different than I imagined, in a good way. Recommended.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

skybladefromthe wrote:Got mine and didn't expect to keep it. It's hard to explain but it's different than I imagined, in a good way. Recommended.
Howdy skyblade,
Glad you gave the Sliverax a try and she ended up growing on you. I feel it performs a bit more conventionally than it looks, but most folks only have images to go by.

- Paul
skybladefromthe

Thanks paulwa I'm going to carry her today in your honor. I think the Sliverax has what every EDC needs, and just the right amount more.
Also, for those critical about the flipping action, it flips silent and smooth - and more so as she breaks in.
I'm saying 10/10!
Regards,
skybladefromthe

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine only fails to flip when you give it a really lazy light switch motion. If you press the tab in it fires with authority every time.
~David
skybladefromthe

Same with mine, except it seems to be flipping all the way open with lighter and lighter pressure.
I did have it open in my pocket once. I think I hit the flipper accidentally. Oops! Lucky no harm done. Same happened with Domino. EricG is talking about the new combo flippers and detent in one of the 2018 Shot show interviews. Could have been with the Lateboyscout. I can't remember for sure.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:Mine only fails to flip when you give it a really lazy light switch motion. If you press the tab in it fires with authority every time.
That's been pretty much my experience too. I can even hold mine straight up and it still opens all the way even with a fairly easy light switch motion. I have to really try to get it to not open all the way. A firm press or flick of the tab and opens as fast as I need it to. It may not fly out quite as hard as my Southard, ZT 0450, or even my Positron but those have much stronger detents. I sometimes have misfires with those because my finger slides off the tab.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I love my Sliverax. I’ve carried it almost everyday since I got it last year, it’s worked in nicely. With proper technique I can open it 100% of the time. It’s a pleasure to open and close because it’s so quick. I can open it, get to work and close it without even thinking about it. But I’d be lying If I didn’t say it still doesn’t flip anywhere near as nice as other non Spyderco folders in my collection. Even with a stronger detent it still wouldn’t be as smooth as the competition. :(

Flipping action alone, I’d give it a 5 out of 10.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Nate

Post by Nate »

Evil D wrote:Mine only fails to flip when you give it a really lazy light switch motion. If you press the tab in it fires with authority every time.
skybladefromthe wrote:Same with mine, except it seems to be flipping all the way open with lighter and lighter pressure.
These sum it up for me. The only other flippers I've had are from the Buck Vantage line, so I guess I have the bar set pretty low for the Sliverax, but after some break-in it flips great and reliably, the action is very, very smooth.
------------------------------

Someone posted a fairly critical review on another forum (an honest one, I don't think it was bashing,) and there are a couple of points that I'm struggling to understand:
"The handle design looks sleek and flowing due to the deep finger choil. Unfortunately, this choil makes the grip portion of the handle too thin for secure indexing between the thumb and forefinger. Also, unless the thumb is extended onto the spine of the blade, the knife feels unbalanced and blade heavy. I wear XL size gloves. .."
-The other concerns noted were retreads on the detent/flipper action and that the comp lock can pinch your finger, (not exclusive to the Sliverax and also a non-issue for me,) but I'm curious if anyone here can relate to the above because I can't see it, especially regarding the balance. I mean, if I'm holding the knife in hand and release my grip completely it tends to just sit there on my index finger. Unbalanced and blade heavy? :confused: