Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Official Sliverax Discussion Thread

Post by Evil D »

OkanSeven wrote: Would doing this work? I love the knife already so I don’t fully know if it’s worth trying but I don’t know just thought I’d see if it’s feasible.(sorry if this is redundant I should of read through the whole thread first)

- Okan

If you open the cutout towards the back it would allow you to put your finger further back during unlocking, which may prevent the tab from hitting your finger during closing. This was my original plan but I ran with removing the tab because I think it feels better on my index finger without it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Got mine today and I’m a happy guy. Thanks to this thread I pretty much knew what to expect. It’s just like I’ve read.

-Nice fit and finish
-Great design
-Bearings are well made, but dry as a bone (not anymore)
-Detent is too week for flipping
-Opening hole works well
-Flipper hits my finger when I disengage the lock

I will say that it doesn’t fit my hand as well as I thought it would. I wish I could take the quality and materials from this knife and put it into the Ouroboros.

It’s a keeper for sure though. Well done paul, keep em coming!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Guess what the mail man brought today... My brand new sliverax.

Havent really had the chance to do anything with it except play around for 5 minutes.
So far I can just confirm a lot what was already said.
-Push button doesn't work, light switch works just fine
- I wouldn't call the detent weak, we opening it via spydie hole or pulling the blade out with my fingers it works just fine and I couldn't shake the blade out so far
- superb fit and finish! Even grind, centered, and extremely well done chamfer on the opening hole and no sharp edges or corners to be found
- bearings are dry which probably adds to that slightly gritty feeling when opening or closing with the lock disengaged
- awesome work of engineering if you just look at the blade and the bearings from the front with the blade closed.

Anybody know whether victorinox oil would be suitable for the bearings or whether i should grease them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

vilePossum wrote:-Push button doesn't work, light switch works just fine
Congrats vP!

When I first got mine I couldn't use the push button technique only because I was getting a little pinch on my index finger. I went to the light switch technique and it flips great that way. Oddly enough, I tried the push button method again the other day and had no pinch. Not sure what changed. Maybe I'm doing something a little different?
vilePossum wrote:Anybody know whether victorinox oil would be suitable for the bearings or whether i should grease them?
I know some of the guys are using grease. I used light oil and it seemed to help. One of these days I'll take it apart and see how grease does.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's interesting how push button or lightswitch does or doesn't work with some people. I couldn't light switch it at all, I had to push it and it opened every time that way for me. Must be a wide range in techniques being used, or potentially varying degrees of detent strength.
~David
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Thanks for the input Sharp Guy! I will try some once I get home. Kinda hard to resist playing with it til then... Being at work helps...

My issues with push button is simply that I can't preload/build up enough power before I overcome the force of the detent.... Aaa and just as I write this I push buttoned it open with my left hand...

Still, it feels like depending on the direction of the force you apply the detent is easier to overcome from some directions...

Honestly though, I don't really care. It is one sweet knife and I am very much looking forward to how it performs in use.

Have fun everyone!
Ric

Post by Ric »

I can use push button and lightswitch flipping with ease.
Personally I am more trained in push button because my Kershaw Chill works best with push button.

Beside, flicking with thumb and middle finger works also great.

Gravity drop (open blade with hard downwards motion and a sudden stop) works also - related to the softer detent - but you have to shake very hard. I did a few times and my arm hurted.
With Para 3 no Chance of that gravity drop.

So the softer detent is a bonus opening method for me :-)
I have no fear that the knife would open accidently in the pocket.

Please remember, a new technique need some days to be memorized by muscles and the muscles need to gain some strength.

bye ric
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As far as "Spydie dropping" goes, I just hold mine by the thumb hole and sort of pinch the handle away from my fingers and the handle drops open. The weight of the handle alone does the rest as long as I overcome the detent by pinching it.
~David
Docmiller

Post by Docmiller »

Okay, wanted to post an update after modifying and carrying it for a few weeks now.
I decided to sand and polish the detent ball track which did make a noticeable difference with the last bit of dropping shut. The bearings had already worn a nice grove down through the rough grind lines so no need to really polish them out. Added some of the grease that someone recommended on this thread (thank you sir, really sad at myself for not using grease on my bearing knives in the past. My dad was a mechanic.... what would he have said”.
Overall..... this knife rocks. I am completely happy with removing the flipper tab. I could care less about how good the flipping action was, with the tab hitting my finger on the compression lock drove me crazy. Not sure why the compression lock cut out could not have been pulled back a bit... I assume Paul had his reasons. Otherwise, knife is butter smooth, drop shut. Even smoother than my Para 2 and 3’s. Thanks Paul for the cool design and I certainly recommend this knife, especially if you have the tools to remove the flipper tab.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah oddly enough I've adjusted to the detent "weakness" and have to say I kind of prefer it. I'll pick up a Military and my thumb actually slips off the hole because it takes so much more force to open compared to what I'm used to feeling after carrying the Sliverax. If I had left the flipper tab on I'd want it a bit stronger but I don't mind it at all the way it is now.
~David
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

What type of grease is everyone using on the bearings? Mine should finally be in on Monday and with all the positive remarks after adding some grease, I'm planning on doing the same.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I just received mine a couple days ago. I am flabbergasted. Astounded.
Odd words perhaps, but fitting for a knife that, for me, came out of left field. I had written it off due to the size - caly3 is about the largest I typically carry for lots of reasons. One came up for trade, and I thought it was at least worth a try.

Wow.

Within a few seconds of holding it, I knew it was a keeper. The form is stunning - even more so than the pictures I have seen. The ergos are not only great - they are also well thought out and executed. The engineering is impressive. The blade just works. I recently received my first para 3 (cruwear), and was blown away by that one. Now comes the Sliverax. Both the para 3 and Silverax are in my top 5 for sure - possibly top 3 (if I can count the ukpk and caly as one ;) ).

Obviously, it is not for everyone. Someone sent it to me in a trade, right?
The one thing about the knife that makes me sad - unlikely to ever have a sprint run. Coming from Taichung, CTS-204p or even XHP would have made it perfect. Knifecenter did make an orange positron with s35vn, so maybe an exclusive is possible... :D
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

blueblur wrote:What type of grease is everyone using on the bearings? Mine should finally be in on Monday and with all the positive remarks after adding some grease, I'm planning on doing the same.
I'd have to recommend Super Lube. Food safe, semi- clear, Synthetic, no scent Teflon grease.
Docmiller

Post by Docmiller »

blueblur wrote:What type of grease is everyone using on the bearings? Mine should finally be in on Monday and with all the positive remarks after adding some grease, I'm planning on doing the same.
I ordered some “Phil Wood bearing grease” after being recommended by Evil. Comes in a nice squeeze tube from Amazon. One tube should last you forever for all your bearing knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Docmiller wrote:
I ordered some “Phil Wood bearing grease” after being recommended by Evil. Comes in a nice squeeze tube from Amazon. One tube should last you forever for all your bearing knives.

Yep, I like Phil Wood grease. I'm not saying it's the best option because honestly it's all I've used besides Vaseline, but I do have a LOT of experience using it in far more high performance bearings than these and it has never let me down in those applications so if anything it's probably overkill for a knife pivot. It's also easy to find and proven by decades of use in the bicycle world. If you have a bike shop in your town they will likely have it. I even use it in my non bearing pivots and I love how it feels.
~David
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

In case the folks who already pulled the trigger on some mods here are interested, check out this new thread I started:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=76319
foofie

Post by foofie »

I don't have Phil Wood bearing grease, but would have used that if I did. I used Park Tools polylube 1000, which I also use on my bike. Even advertised as carbon fiber safe :rolleyes:
I tried with my usual lube first - mineral oil. It just made a mess, with more of it ending up in the recessed pockets than on the bearings.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I bought one and sold it a week later. Nice knife but I didn't like opening and closing. With opening the lock hits your finger, with closing the tab resulting in a sore index-finger. Besides that I am (I know I am spoiled) a little done with S30V. Sorry Paul, I still think it is a stunning model!
Nate

Post by Nate »

spy4life wrote:Here is my solution for my index finger nail getting caught on lock tab. Now the flipping action is perfect and no problem with light switch motion. Basically your finger/nails glides down without any issues and I feel that this is how it should be designed/shipped from Spyderco.

Before the mod:

After the mod:

Assembled picture:

Also flipper tab touching finger is another issue and looks like it could've been prevented by moving lock opening down by 1/4".
This looks like a great mod and a possible CQI item for this model to me.

Fortunately though, I predominately flip the Sliverax with my left index finger, so this is a non-issue as my finger follows through toward the opposite side cut-out instead of over the lock tab. I have noticed if I flip it righty, my fingernail will occasionally catch. I imagine I would adapt if that was my dominate hand, but it is annoying when it happens.

I don't have any problems avoiding the lock tab when closing the blade right-handed, my finger position naturally falls toward the rear of the cut-out and the flipper tab has ample clearance, probably a hand specific thing though.

As others have reported, the small amount of initial "grittiness" has already smoothed out considerably as the bearings have worn in a path through the milling marks.

I don't carry it all the time as it's larger than I really want for urban/office carry, but it's been excellent in use when I do.
:spyder:
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Mine just arrived yesterday and I haven't put it down since. Definitely an interesting and unique feeling knife. With the large choil and negative blade angle it doesn't feel like any other knife I've used before. The action is super smooth. With some photos showing the rough grooves where the bearings ride I expected to feel those grooves but I can't. I figured I would use the knife for a few days to wear in a groove and then grease up the bearings but this thing is so smooth out of the box there's no need to take it apart. When/if I do I'll probably use frog lube since I have plenty on hand and it's food grade safe. I found the tab will hit my finger when closing but if I make sure I either remove my finger fast enough or focus on using the rear part of the release it's fine. The fit and finish couldn't be any better. The chamfering on the kick tab is well executed and it's nice getting back to a wire clip. I'm still deciding if I like a sharp lock release tab like on the Golden models or this rounded tab. I may try out some of the grip tape like Evil. Other than that I feel this is a very well executed design. If this is ever available in cruwear or M4 I'll buy a couple of them.