My SpydieChef review went live on ITS Tactical (yeah, after months of use)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: My SpydieChef review went live on ITS Tactical (yeah, after months of use)

Post by PStone »

The initial appeal for me was all about the LC200N. I never intended it to be chefs knife. Although food prep is among the many uses it sees. I find it to be a great utility/edc. Slim and lightweight, darn near rust proof, and very easy to get sharp.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:16 pm
Daveho wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:32 pm
I have never understood the appeal of “it’s a chef knife but in your pocket” Clearly I’m the odd one out here- however when chefing I tend to be in a kitchen with my actual kitchen knives.
I suppose if I did more camping and stuff?
I agree that it’s a misleading name. I have had one for quite a while and absolutely love it. Hardly ever use it for food prep though. It actually makes an Amazing edc. Completely rust proof, slim in the pocket, and a breeze to touch up on a strop. One of my favorites. I still use my chaparral for fruit and stuff because of the 1.5” blade stock. It’s a superior slicer.
I just spent some time cutting up tomatoes and assorted delicious things with my Air and was thinking hmmm perhaps a spydiechef wouldn’t be so bad...

Honestly I’d love a g10 handled M4 delica and life would be 10/10-
The titanium thing I’m a bit over personally as while a nice material it’s just a bit lavish for what i do with my knives.
I love my FRN Chappy I must say- that thing is a slicing god
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

i hope another shipment of these isn't too far off in the future.
rklee

Post by rklee »

Nice review. You put a lot of care into your photos. Even your nails are nicely manicured.
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

rklee wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 pm
Nice review. You put a lot of care into your photos. Even your nails are nicely manicured.

Hahaha! Thanks! Well, for the last point I use my Victoinox Classic SD, like this one, custom made in Titanium by local maker WoroKnives. And yeah, my Chef is still with me very often. What a knife... WHAT A KNIFE!

Today's EDC with Spydiechef as a cutting leader :)

PiterM

Post by PiterM »

One year later. Spydiechef CQI... and it’s not just a kitchen knife.

Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Awesome Review Piter. I remember reading your review way back when and watching youtube reviews on it knowing I had to have one. It took longer then I planned to get one in my pocket. I have been carrying the Spydiechef for a year and a half now. Before that I carried a titanium Military everyday for year’s and it was my all time favorite Spyderco. Then the Spydiechef showed up at my door and kicked the Military out of my pocket and took it’s rightful place. I probably have a unhealthy obsession with my Spydiechef or at least that is what I am told. It’s the perfect knife for me and it seems it will stay that way. Most people would say the edge and sharpness were better than good enough for them but for me she needed to almost split atoms. I dialed the edge angle back to 16-17 degrees. I polished it to 1 micron using diamond spray. She will bite like no other. Doesn’t matter if you use 3 fingers like Murray Carter does to test edges sharpness or even 4 fingers. If you slide your fingers along that edge she will let you know it’s a bad idea. The fact that it doesn’t rust is a big deal to me since I spend time in and around water with varying degrees of salinity. Another benefit of LC200N is it’s toughness. I don’t think most know just how tough LC200N is. Overall it’s a pocket knife that checks all the boxes for me. I have two of them and will probably end up with 1 or 5 more. It is literally my do everything pocket knife with in reason that is. When I hit the woods I generally have two blades on me. My Spydiechef and my Machete. I value them both equally in the woods where other’s would give the value to the machete. I use to think the same way but what can I say I guess I am in love with my Spydiechef. Lastly I do wonder if a larger version will ever be made and if it will have the same magic as this one?