Black Blade (TiCN coated) Lil' Matriarch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Black Blade (TiCN coated) Lil' Matriarch

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I know I would likely not be alone in wanting to buy one of these if they were to become reality, especially given how folks seem to really enjoy the variety of blade shapes available on the Delica handle platform, but how seriously cool would it be to see a black-bladed TiCN-coated Lil' Matriarch?!?

I know the Lil' Mat was not a huge seller when it was available, and BBS still has stock of their plain-edge exclusive (which is a FANTASTIC EDC knife BTW), but I'm pretty darn sure that a Lil' Mat version of this beast below would fly off the shelves as a sprint run or a commissioned exclusive! One with an Emerson wave opener would be most excellent as well (but I'd be ecstatic just to get the standard blade shape in black ;))

So what do you guys think, and more importantly Sal and Eric, do you think we could possibly make this one a reality?

Thanks kindly, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Surfingringo

Re: Black Blade (TiCN coated) Lil' Matriarch

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, I have a lot of thoughts on this idea. I first got a lil Matriarch about two years ago and instantly fell in love with the knife as an EDC. Yes, you give up the ability to "chop" on a flat surface, but aside from that it functions extremely well for my EDC type tasks and I love carrying and using it. I think its a real shame that such a great design fell by the wayside so yes, I would be into seeing a re-emergence of the Lil Matriarch. I have oftener requested that it be reintroduced as a Salt model. Now with the updated Salt 1 handle that should be possible. I think H1 is an ideal steel for both serrations and a fine/pointy tip too. If more folks would be happier with a coated Salt version then that would be fine by me but personally I might have a slight preference for un coated. Honestly, if I can get a lil Matriarch Salt, I don't care. Black, satin, whatever...I will be happy with any.

Regarding why this knife didn't sell well in the beginning, I have some thoughts on that. When the lil Matriarch came out, it was introduced and marketed as a SD knife. Even the name kind of "pigeon holes" it in that market. The lil Matriarch is kind of like a talented actor who got type cast after starring in "Jason vs. Freddy". Anyway, regarding sales, I would guess that when most folks were looking for a dedicated SD knife, they chose the original larger and more menacing Matriarch over the "lil". The thing is, I think the lil Matriarch qualifies for inclusion in a completely different category. I would imagine if this knife were introduced as an H1 Salt then way more folks would buy it with the idea of trying it for fishing or other normal tasks...and I feel like the design would grow quickly in popularity when they found how well it performed.
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

Not to hijack the thread, but I imagine the wicked recurve has given some people pause in terms of sharpening. I know that's my first thought when I see it, but now that I have a sharpmaker I'm less intimidated, at least about the PE.

Is this something easily done with a Sharpmaker or do you need to send it back to Golden periodically?

I would be all over a Salt model, blacked out or not. And yes a blacked out Lil' Matriach would look awesome. It's funny, this is one knife I always thought would look better with the Emerson Wave, but if it was blacked out, I'm less certain.
Last edited by Hgwxx7 on Sun May 07, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Golden :spyder:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok, I have a lot of thoughts on this idea. I first got a lil Matriarch about two years ago and instantly fell in love with the knife as an EDC. Yes, you give up the ability to "chop" on a flat surface, but aside from that it functions extremely well for my EDC type tasks and I love carrying and using it. I think its a real shame that such a great design fell by the wayside so yes, I would be into seeing a re-emergence of the Lil Matriarch. I have oftener requested that it be reintroduced as a Salt model. Now with the updated Salt 1 handle that should be possible. I think H1 is an ideal steel for both serrations and a fine/pointy tip too. If more folks would be happier with a coated Salt version then that would be fine by me but personally I might have a slight preference for un coated. Honestly, if I can get a lil Matriarch Salt, I don't care. Black, satin, whatever...I will be happy with any.

Regarding why this knife didn't sell well in the beginning, I have some thoughts on that. When the lil Matriarch came out, it was introduced and marketed as a SD knife. Even the name kind of "pigeon holes" it in that market. The lil Matriarch is kind of like a talented actor who got type cast after starring in "Jason vs. Freddy". Anyway, regarding sales, I would guess that when most folks were looking for a dedicated SD knife, they chose the original larger and more menacing Matriarch over the "lil". The thing is, I think the lil Matriarch qualifies for inclusion in a completely different category. I would imagine if this knife were introduced as an H1 Salt then way more folks would buy it with the idea of trying it for fishing or other normal tasks...and I feel like the design would grow quickly in popularity when they found how well it performed.
this is my nr.3 Spyderco wish since I got my Lil' Matriarch. Make it possible and I'll get one for myself and one for my best friends who I know would appreciate the design and usefulness of this little guy!
jdw

Post by jdw »

I absolutely love the PE version of the Lil' Matriarch. It is one of the most versatile EDC folders that I have. I agree with 'gringo that the whole self defense carry absolutely killed this knife. It is a constant camping, hiking, day pack companion.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I missed it at the time so had to pounce on my Lil' Matriarch in the secondary market. I've never tried to EDC it, to be honest, but I'd never part with it. Just a little bit of "pocket insurance" ......
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I ignored the Matriarch family entirely precisely because it was sold as a fighting knife and frankly I think it's a poor choice for that sort of thing. But I bought a used Lil Matriarch on a total whim (while saying "I don't need another knife") and surprisingly it's become my main EDC.

I haven't really run across an EDC task where it didn't work well. On the weekends I'll pack something beefier like a Manix 2 just because I'm doing more stuff outside and want something I don't mind abusing.

I wish they had a FFG version and I wish there was a larger version that wasn't shaped like the full size Matriarch (less hook).

I really, really doubt a black blade will move any more units than an uncoated blade.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

The Lil' curve is far less pronounced than the full sized model. It's almost a Wharncliffe and tasman combined. I think it would be right at home in the Salt family.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

I like where this thread is turning: a lil Matriarch Salt is a FANTASTIC idea. I own the PE version and the blade shape definitely surprised me with its versatility.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

keep it up, let's move this forward...!

black on black for this lil' beauty
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Is TiCN thick like paint, or like thin like parkerizing, or in between? I hate the way paint gouges off.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have the PE Lil Matriarch and love it. I am not a coated blade fan but I will echo that it is an amazingly functional design.

Since I like PE knives, dislike coatings and don't like serrations I am quite satisfied with the BBS version that I have but for those who do like serrations a Salt version should be a home run.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really wanted a PE waved Lil Matriarch but I guess it never happened.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Two Li'l Matriarch Salts, perhaps? A SE blade in H-1 and a PE in LC200N. I'd have to buy both!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:I really wanted a PE waved Lil Matriarch but I guess it never happened.
^This would be an EDC for me if they ever made it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
beatlman87

Post by beatlman87 »

Don't usually post but needed to chime in. This knife would be very welcome in my collection! I'd buy one in a heartbeat!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

OK, bit of a necro-thread I know, but that TiCN-coated red Delica has had me dreaming of a TiCN-coated Lil Matriarch again! ;)

Much of what we’ve been chatting up these days are black-coated blades and hawks! Come on folks, who’s with me?! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm in
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spyder_MN

Post by Spyder_MN »

Had been thinking about getting an SE Tasman, but this thread has my attention now!
-Caleb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd take one in satin finish and yellow as long as it's H1. Black would be cool too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal