Reinhold Rhino Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Danger

Re: Reinhold Rhino Update

Post by Mr Danger »

I know it's jumping the gun, but that level of upgrades has to be in the ballpark of $120. That takes it from a must have to an I don't think so. I hope I'm totally wrong, but the main selling point for me was a cool new design coupled with a low price.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Sounds great! Any chance the original SKU might show up at, say, a seconds sale...? ;)
:D I've been hoping the same thing.
-Nick :bug-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Most excellent news, thank you Kristi and thank you Spyderco! :D Sounds like it will be an enviable competitor to the laminated CF Chaparral 1 (or should I say awesome companion?). Great news to cap off the week, right Michael? Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

XHP moves this from "meh" to "oooh" for me. :)
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

That's a lot of upgrades. I agree that the price will go up to at least $110 or more. I'm torn. I appreciated the change of factory, and I appreciate the upgraded steel, handle scales, and smoother opening feel. The cost increase might be staggering though, and isn't this knife kinda going off-mission now? I thought it was intended to be a budget, more entry-level LBK instead of a $100+ example that Spyderco seems to already have so many of.

Eh, what do I know? Sal and Co. are legitimate nice people and determined to do their best. The Rhino: Reloaded will be worth the price.

And before I forget: thanks a lot for the official update!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was hoping for the more affordable model. However, Taichung + CTS-XHP = saving my money now. Sounds exciting. Michael will be proud.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

With so many great knives available these days, a new model needs to really stand out to get my $ interest. The Rhino just moved into that category with the materials upgrade on top of the nice design! As usual, count on Spyderco to deliver a great product!
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

So there goes my mind all over the walls. Thanks for that.
But seriously this is awesome news!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That must have been a big decision. No doubt it will no longer be a "value" item, but it does demonstrate Spyderco's outright commitment to quality.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Exactly what I was afraid of.....the cf will probably shoot it way over what I was prepared for...pretty sure I'm out now.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The mystery still remains, where is Spydernut? I haven't seen him on the forum for a while. I'm guessing he's had to emigrate to Taiwan to supervise the production of his knife :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I saw Michael on Forum few days ago. Probably he is busy making knives.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
timlara

Post by timlara »

Thanks for the update, Kristi!

I am super happy about this news. I personally think it makes more sense strategically as well as I feel like the Rhino will appeal more to knife-knuts than it will to the mainstream buyers, and better steels and nicer fit and finish matter more to afis. At least for me, this puts the Rhino on the must-watch list for sure.
Tim
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Thank you for the update, ma'am. It is appreciated.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TazKristi wrote:Hi, everyone:
First, we'd like to thank you for your continued interest and enthusiasm for the Reinhold Rhino. We know it has been a highly anticipated model - and not just here on the forum. As you all know, the first production run of the Rhino did not meet our quality standards. We could not, in good faith, release it knowing it was less than what you deserve. Likewise, we owe it to Michael to deliver a high-quality knife that meets his vision and can rightfully carry his name.

After careful consideration, we have decided to move production of the Reinhold Rhino to Taichung. We have also decided to upgrade the Rhino to ensure that we deliver the best possible knife and give you something that is not only functionally sound but something that will prove to be worth the wait.

Upgrades will include:
CTS-XHP steel
Peel-ply carbon fiber / G-10 laminate handle
Phosphor bronze washers

We know that this is a departure from the original Reinhold Rhino but we truly believe this will provide you with a worthy expression of Michael's knife in a truly high-performance configuration. We're confident that when held in-hand it will be a source of pride and provide the reliable high performance that you have come to expect from us.

With these upgrades, we'll also be assigning a new SKU. We'll share that as soon as it's assigned. I don't have new pricing information or an ETA at this point but we'll do our best to update you as we move forward.

Again, thank you for your continued support and interest!

Kristi
Dear Kristi,
Thank you so much for posting the update on the Rhino. I deeply appreciate that! I am honored to be a part of the decision-making process and I couldn't be more pleased with the new materials. I know that Taichung will do an excellent job with the Rhino and I cannot wait to see the finished product. Please also extend my sincere gratitude to Eric and Rebecca once again for all of their kindness and support through this process.

To my fellow Forumites,
Once again, I also want to thank you all for all of your continued patience and support on the Rhino. You guys are the best. :)

All the best,

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I got my catalog today. I am wondering, if now I can request a catalog with updated Rhino? :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

This is awesome. The improvements move it up my list even more. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
attila

Post by attila »

This definitely puts the Rhino solidly on my desired list, but I wish it were regular G10 to ideally keep it less than $100.

Regardless, it's exciting to have such a locking mechanism in a fed-facility-legal knife.

In light of this development, I'm now hoping for a CBBL with a 2.4-2.5" blade of a high wear resistance steel.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

ejcr98 wrote:Please give it a deep carry wire clip

+1
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

This is great news. I think CTS-XHP is the perfect steel for this knife, although I'm still hoping for a 204p sprint run :D .

Agreed that I would prefer straight G10 on this model, just because it's purpose built for EDC and the CF says "gentleman's carry" to me, but I love the Taichung CF/G10, so no real complaints here.

Congrats, SpyderNut!! And a pat on the back all around for those who have been waiting, and those who have made this knife a reality!
Stay Golden :spyder: