Bob Lum Darn Dao

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Bob Lum Darn Dao

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal has mentioned this a couple of times now. I guess it is in the que. I like large fixed blades and from the images I have found it looks very interesting. Can anybody share any info on this design of Bob's. It has a raider bowie look to it. I really like it. This was meant to be a chopper? survival tool? fighting knife? all of the above? About what were the dimensions? Is it a chinese pattern or based on an american bowie? Maybe a fusion of the two? Thanks in advance for any info you may have. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Larry_Mott

Re: Bob Lum Darn Dao

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Dao sword (the word Dao can also mean/be applied to knives) is a classical Chinese sword. You see it often in Kung Fu exhibitions/movies, often with tassels or scarves attached to the handle.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
bearfacedkiller

Thanks Larry. Well, based on your last name I could say, thanks cuz'. Ha, I think we are distant relatives. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If it's a larger fixed blade I'll definitely get one. The customs look amazing. I really hope spyderco makes it with a bolster.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Thanks Larry. Well, based on your last name I could say, thanks cuz'. Ha, I think we are distant relatives. :)
I know i have American ancestors, and a Mountie from Canada turned up as well i have been told :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Post by sal »

Bob made a few of them in the early 80's. I purchased one of the few with the thought for production. I couldn't find anyone that could grind it, large wide long flat grind. I parked it for 35 years with thoughts of future production. Eric dug it out last year with plans to try again. It's a beautiful piece. Will probably be expensive and probably won't go more than one run. No bolsters. Partly to honor Bob, partly to bring some to the market. Hate to see such function and art buried.

sal
bearfacedkiller

OK, from what I can tell Darn Dao means broadsword. Is that a correct translation?

Larry, the Mott side of my family is huge! My grandfather was one of 13 kids! It isn't a real common name here. Most people associate the name with the applesauce company. Sadly, I am not the heir to that throne. I love applesauce, I can't eat a porkchop without it. :)

Thank you for the info Sal. The internet only turned up a few images and not much info. It looks great from what I saw.
-Darby
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

sal wrote:Bob made a few of them in the early 80's. I purchased one of the few with the thought for production. I couldn't find anyone that could grind it, large wide long flat grind. I parked it for 35 years with thoughts of future production. Eric dug it out last year with plans to try again. It's a beautiful piece. Will probably be expensive and probably won't go more than one run. No bolsters. Partly to honor Bob, partly to bring some to the market. Hate to see such function and art buried.

sal
I guess I can live without bolsters. Will the handles be Micarta? I'll start saving for 1 or 2.
ktsthiep

Post by ktsthiep »

dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

nice!
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'm in for a couple!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

I'm in for 1 here!
bearfacedkiller

CPM 154! Possibly a tapered tang! Looks like 1/4 inch stock! It may end up pricey but I am in for one. I will take it into the woods and flog it real good too... ;)
-Darby
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'm thinking this would be fairly well suited for a self-defense piece, especially if one were to sharpen the swedge a bit.

The way Bill Bagwell recommends using a Bowie might work well with the Darn Dao...can't be sure until I get one in hand...but it looks like it has potential.

I'm thinking the CPM 154 is the steel of choice on the Darn Dao for the properties it brings to the table from the maker side...as for hard <ab>use I've found it to be REAL chippy on the trail.

BTW Darby, at first blush based on your thread title alone, I expected this thread to be about that the dude who got beat down on the United <that darn, Dao!> flight was found with a Spyderco concealed on him somewhere... :p ....glad my first instinct was wrong, this is MUCH better news!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This is the knife that caught my attention the most when I first saw this video! I am a HUGE Lum fan and am very excited that Spyderco is considering making a production piece. :D I definitely would like a steel that would make it into a "beast choppa" though, not just a pretty piece for the collection. I grabbed some stills from the video, so these images are of course courtesy of Spyderco and Going Gear:

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

agree - this would be great in cru-wear, 3v, 4v, etc.
but I'm in for any good steel.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

When Eric pulled that blade out during the shot show video, I was SOLD!! Now knowing it will likely only last one run, I will absolutely be ready for it!!
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

paladin wrote: I'm thinking the CPM 154 is the steel of choice on the Darn Dao for the properties it brings to the table from the maker side...as for hard <ab>use I've found it to be REAL chippy on the trail.
I actually have zero experience with it. Whatever steel they choose I hope I can be rather hard on it. I have some larger knives that I beat on quite a bit. I don't want to see an overly thick edge to make up for steel choice, that is for sure. I have read reports that the Hossoms had thick edges.

I am undeterred and still eager to see this happen... :)

Edit: boy I am long winded :-/
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow.

Just wow.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Definitely getting 2 or 3 if i can.