Red Loctite - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Red Loctite - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
Mic1 wrote:That is great news I just bought another Advocate because of it thank you Spyderco.

Ankerson and evil D the other people who wanted this are customers as well. Spyderco already has you guys who NEVER ever take your knives apart ;) now Spyderco has satisfied more customers.

Oh you have me totally wrong my friend. I take apart almost every knife I own because I use bearing grease in the pivots and I've modded more than a few. I never liked the idea but I also understood the reason for it. I don't however believe it's absolutely necessary to take one apart just for cleaning like most people claim. I also don't believe being a customer gives anyone the right to make an *** of themselves just to get what they want, and that's exactly what many people have done with this whole ordeal. And, I also believe this same result would have been reached through civil conversation but some people felt the need to throw around ridiculous claims and cut down Sal and the company.
I don't take MY knives apart... ;)

I have however taken Spydercos and others apart for various reasons over the years that I have gotten in for different reasons over the years.

Normally I don't HAVE TOO unless it really has to be done, not something I really like to do and would prefer not to do if at all possible as I have better things to do.
Carlito86

Post by Carlito86 »

Just to tell I registered to say thank you for a very Smart decision.I live in italy so basically no guarantee but I m so happy not to have red loctite.I will buy more spyderco
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Glad to see a change from red to blue loctite and soon a more uniform thread locking across all Spydercos no matter where they are made. Also, the more lenient warranty policy where disassembly in and of itself is not cause for voiding the warranty.

The hammer tip is also appreciated.

I've had fairly good luck with hair dryer and Wiha torx but did have a mishap once which cost me shipping to Spyderco plus a $5 fee for them to ship it back.

Finally, a thank you to Spyderco and those who diligently complained.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I appreciate the clear and transparent explanation!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I appreciate the clear and transparent explanation!

Very clear..
xg220

Post by xg220 »

Just wanted to log in and say THANK YOU! This is a great decision and I always appreciate it when a company goes out of their way to hear their customer's concerns and address them. :D :cool:
mad german

Post by mad german »

I wonder if Apostle P (Rob) is now beating his chest and proudly strutting around, thinking he has sooooo much influence over a company like Spyderco that they bent over backwards to accommodate him and his wishes.
My collection is ever changing!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

mad german wrote:I wonder if Apostle P (Rob) is now beating his chest and proudly strutting around, thinking he has sooooo much influence over a company like Spyderco that they bent over backwards to accommodate him and his wishes.
From all indications, Spyderco has listened to multiple sources including customer returns, as well as studying and researching the issues internally:
"To address this issue properly, Spyderco has done an extensive review of our Warranty Repair records, as well as in-depth research on the aftermarket parts industry. We have also read and reread our customers’ forum and social media posts on all aspects of the “red Loctite” issue."
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Am I the only one still confused about the warranty policy?? I thought the stated policy was pretty clear "DAMAGE caused by disassembly" voids the warranty. Disassembly does not. But then the past quotes from Michael and Kristi seem to contradict that. So which is it?
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

Awesome news. Thanks Sal! Image
USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ejames13 wrote:Am I the only one still confused about the warranty policy?? I thought the stated policy was pretty clear "DAMAGE caused by disassembly" voids the warranty. Disassembly does not. But then the past quotes from Michael and Kristi seem to contradict that. So which is it?
As Michael Janich stated in post #1:
"We are currently in the process of refining the official wording of our warranty to make it clearer and address changes in the industry like aftermarket accessories. Our complete warranty policy, as expressed on our web site, will always remain the official reference for the most up-to-date terms of our warranty coverage."
Last edited by RamZar on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Just wanted to say that while I'm a customer for life already, stuff like this makes me want to have TWO spyderco bumper stickers on my car!

Spyderco is an amazing company, truly.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

RamZar wrote:
ejames13 wrote:Am I the only one still confused about the warranty policy?? I thought the stated policy was pretty clear "DAMAGE caused by disassembly" voids the warranty. Disassembly does not. But then the past quotes from Michael and Kristi seem to contradict that. So which is it?
"We are currently in the process of refining the official wording of our warranty to make it clearer and address changes in the industry like aftermarket accessories. Our complete warranty policy, as expressed on our web site, will always remain the official reference for the most up-to-date terms of our warranty coverage."
OK. But then after his original post there are quotes from him and Kristi saying the disassembly voids your warranty. PERIOD. :confused:
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

ejames13 wrote:
RamZar wrote:
OK. But then after his original post there are quotes from him and Kristi saying the disassembly voids your warranty. PERIOD. :confused:
Those are much older posts on the subject. I say let's wait for the new official warranty wording and intent.

Also, for legal coverage, I've seen more restrictive wording in many warranties but in practice a more lenient policy.
brancron

Post by brancron »

RamZar wrote:Those are much older posts on the subject. I say let's wait for the new official warranty wording and intent.

Also, for legal coverage, I've seen more restrictive wording in many warranties but in practice a more lenient policy.
I don't mean to be rude to the Spyderco reps, but those older posts are dead wrong. The warranty, as it stands (and as it stood in 2010), is clear that damage caused by disassembly isn't covered, not that disassembly voids the warranty. In a case like this, where the warranty is clear, it is legally binding on Spyderco notwithstanding contradictory statements by the company's reps or differences in the company's own internal policies.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I never thought it was confusing. Disassembly voids the warranty, and Spyderco doesn't have to fix it for you if you goofed up your knife. They still might though, regardless of disassembly, if there was a failure or defect on their end, on a case by case basis, because they are an honorable company. It always made sense to me.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

brancron wrote:
RamZar wrote:Those are much older posts on the subject. I say let's wait for the new official warranty wording and intent.

I don't mean to be rude to the Spyderco reps, but those older posts are dead wrong. The warranty, as it stands (and as it stood in 2010), is clear that damage caused by disassembly isn't covered, not that disassembly voids the warranty. In a case like this, where the warranty is clear, it is legally binding on Spyderco notwithstanding contradictory statements by the company's reps or differences in the company's own internal policies.
Yea, that's what I was thinking as well. I felt like the second explanation by Michael was sort of sidestepping their previous statements and not just outright admitting that those statements were out of line with the written policy.
cabfrank wrote:I never thought it was confusing. Disassembly voids the warranty, and Spyderco doesn't have to fix it for you if you goofed up your knife. They still might though, regardless of disassembly, if there was a failure or defect on their end, on a case by case basis, because they are an honorable company. It always made sense to me.
The confusion comes from Spyderco reps saying something different than the stated policy. The policy does not say that disassembly voids the warranty.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Bit of a witch hunt here IMO. Spyderco read Facebook posts and forums and gave customers what they want. OK, so a post six years ago said slightly differently...they made it right now. Honestly, they probably always fixed knives that were taken apart, but put that language in there so mechanically moronic people would leave their knife alone, lol. Either way... Its crystal clear now. Thanks Spyderco.
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

ejames13 wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Wow Holy reading comprehension! Go back to see that these were older posts.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

At this point, there's little sense dragging them over the coals for past statements and policies. What's important is that they've just defined one clear policy from here, going forward. And, at least to my sensibilities, it's the right one.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!