Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Spyderco/Phil Wilson Bow River

Post by The Meat man »

FullCircleHook wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:09 am
Agreed. This is a definite buy for me. At that price (assuming BHQ is correct), I will probably pick up multiple as well.

I also want to give Spyderco props on their 8CR13MOV. I don’t know if it’s their heat treat or what, but I love it compared to other manufacturers that I’ve used.

How would you compare it to Kershaw's 8Cr13MoV? Never had any of Spyderco's 8Cr but I've had good experiences with Kershaw.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

The Meat man wrote:
How would you compare it to Kershaw's 8Cr13MoV? Never had any of Spyderco's 8Cr but I've had good experiences with Kershaw.
Kershaw is actually one of my primary comparisons. Nothing against them (I’m a Kershaw fan,) but if you like their 8CR, you should definitely pick up a Spydie in it. It just seems to take a keener edge (easier) and keeps it better. This might have a lot to do with the grinds, but it is my overall impression. It’s just so easy to get it scary sharp. Oddly it performs very similar to Kershaw’s 14C28N in my highly unscientific testing of cutting stuff up! Haha
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

FullCircleHook wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:40 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Kershaw is actually one of my primary comparisons. Nothing against them (I’m a Kershaw fan,) but if you like their 8CR, you should definitely pick up a Spydie in it. It just seems to take a keener edge (easier) and keeps it better. This might have a lot to do with the grinds, but it is my overall impression. It’s just so easy to get it scary sharp. Oddly it performs very similar to Kershaw’s 14C28N in my highly unscientific testing of cutting stuff up! Haha

That's interesting. I might have to try one.

It might be nice to spend only $50 on a knife for a change. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:04 pm
FullCircleHook wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:40 pm
The Meat man wrote:

That's interesting. I might have to try one.

It might be nice to spend only $50 on a knife for a change. :D
It's one of the reasons my FB collection has grown so much lately. I know a few custom makers with offerings in the $40-60 range.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd still love to see this one in CTS-BD1N.

Didn't Sal say they were going to change the budget line from 8CR13MoV to BD1N?

I'll probably end up with one of these anyway--can't pass up a Phil Wilson design.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Does Spyderco ever do sprint runs on their Chinese knives? It would be great to have a fixed blade in interesting steels that is still relatively inexpensive.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I don't think they've ever done a sprint of a China model. But things change all the time, so who knows what the future will hold?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Pumped for this, the price is amazing.
:spyder:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:32 am
No experience with Kershaw's :( but I've had several knives in Spyderco 8Cr. I think it's just fine. For a fixed blade of that type I think it will be just fine. Plus... $33 shipped!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

zhyla wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:14 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:32 am
No experience with Kershaw's :( but I've had several knives in Spyderco 8Cr. I think it's just fine. For a fixed blade of that type I think it will be just fine. Plus... $33 shipped!

Yes, that price is really amazing.
- Connor

vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:07 pm
I don't think they've ever done a sprint of a China model. But things change all the time, so who knows what the future will hold?
There are Ti byrds. Regular production and not sprints, but I could see variants of this knife if sales are there. I could see different colored scales down the road.
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

I was hoping for BD1N but went in for one anyway. Never owned any Phil Wilson and wanna see what all the fuss is about.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I try to avoid purchasing Chinese knives but this will be my first Chinese Spyderco. I just cannot resist. :) I love my Sprig and Southfork. I hope the edge is thin on this one.

Considering that it comes with a leather sheath this knife looks to be a great value.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I think this will sell very well.

Congrats to Phil Wilson for another model released.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Thank you Spyderco for this knife!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 pm
I try to avoid purchasing Chinese knives but this will be my first Chinese Spyderco. I just cannot resist. :) I love my Sprig and Southfork. I hope the edge is thin on this one.

Considering that it comes with a leather sheath this knife looks to be a great value.
Cara Caras are the only chinese knives I still own. I normally avoid them too, but Spydercos 8Cr HT has always performed a step above any others I've tried. The Cara Cara also happens to have my favorite Endura style handle of them all. It's like an Endura 3 with a choil. I wish they'd use that handle for the Endura 4.

The Bow River will be my first chinese fixed blade. I'm sure the quality will be there, just as it is with the Cara Caras.

I hope it does well. I'd like to see some Swick variants and a couple other EDC sized fixed blades produced in similar fashion. Especially if it's possible to get this maker using BD1 in fixed blades. I love it in my Ronin 2.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

looks like a worthy, tougher, prettier upgrade to the CS Roach Belly I've had for years :rolleyes:

Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

A Phil Wilson for What! Wow. I'm putting this on the list.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 pm
That’s good to hear. I’m a sucker for leather sheaths with belt loops.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

The Spyderco Bow River won't be as thin as the Junction, but is basically the same as the Sprig.