What's Next and Why? Spyderco Purchase

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

What's Next and Why? Spyderco Purchase

Post by Eli Chaps »

So I know there is the "what's in the mail" thread but I'm wondering what you folks have identified as your very next Spyderco knife buy and why you chose it. Not something on pre-order, unless that's the next one, but whatever the next Spydie is you will put into a digital shopping cart, or even in person. What has your heart aching and your finger twitching?

Me?

What: KnifeCenter Exclusive Manix 2LW

Why: Fantastic design and overall usefulness. The M2LW is a little broad in the pocket for my general EDC needs but it is a great design and I don't find it unacceptably intrusive. I have the knife in BD-1, which I find not a great steel so for a few bucks more I get a nice upgrade there. It's a new-to-me steel as well. I like the brown and love me some FRN. I think the ergonomics on this knife are excellent and the overall size and weight for the performance are great.

I've bought a number of knives lately so I need to save up for a bit but this is the one I'm zeroed in on next.

How about you all?
Mushroom

Re: What's Next and Why? Spyderco Purchase

Post by Mushroom »

I don't know whats coming next among this years cataloged sprint runs, but whichever one of those is released first will be my next purchase. Whether its the HAP40 Meerkat, HAP40 Caly or the Lil' Nilakka. I have a feeling they're going to sell out quickly, and I don't want to end up paying reseller prices if I miss them, so I'm holding out to make sure! There are plenty of currently available models that are on my list to try, but as of now the sprint runs will be taking priority.
-Nick :bug-red
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Pretty much what ever new piece that drops that I like, hoping either the Police 4 or HAPCaly, of course any of the sprints too. I've managed to grab most of the old school disco'd pieces I've wanted, most recently the burgundy sprint Persian. I'm sure there will be the usual surprise drop along the way also.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

My knife funds have been slashed this year so Im waiting for the HAP40 sprints. If Im lucky enough to squeeze another knife in at this stage it would be the maxamet manix
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I have a few preorders out there but I think the k11 serrated kitchen knife is calling soon to match his plain edged brother.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

and how can I forget mule team 25 with lc200n.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hey OP that knifecenter Manix2 LW is awesome I love mine! I am waiting to order the Damascus vg10 Delica 4 foliage green frn
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I don't normally go for the fancier offerings but I will be making an exception when the Hanan is released. That is a beautiful knife and I love the way he implemented the recurve. I think that one is going to be a really nice design!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I really want to try Maxamet, but I'm holding out for the N5 LW to do so... plus I really like gray FRN.

I'm also going to try my hardest to snag both announced HAP40 Sprints, I really like the Caly 3 pattern and have wanted to try a Meerkat for as long as I knew they existed. I just hope that the hinted at HAP40 JazzDelica isn't dropping too soon, as I'll already have a hard time justifying that much spending on knives that I in no way need :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Probably the Chefs Knife.

The Cooks Knife is lovely to use; well balanced and refined, and I'm interested to find what qualities this one brings.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:........ I am waiting to order the Damascus vg10 Delica 4 foliage green frn
Never heard :confused: What did I miss ? :eek: Don't do this kind of joke Spydergirl ...I have a weak heart :)

Marius
adamlau

Post by adamlau »

KW Millie Ti S90V/CF. Though not particularly exciting, it is different enough to warrant a buy. Latest CQI version of the Millie Ti when dealers run out of stock of the previous version. BladeHQ Millie M4/Natural G10 for its M4 blade to swap into the Mille Ti. Maybe a PM2 52100/CF if I am not able to get a hold of a PM2 M4/CF by then (mostly for the scales). 121REX Mule if it happens. PM3 S110V to be gifted to the SO.
Last edited by adamlau on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

elena86 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:........ I am waiting to order the Damascus vg10 Delica 4 foliage green frn
Never heard :confused: What did I miss ? :eek: Don't do this kind of joke Spydergirl ...I have a weak heart :)

Marius
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=73988
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Caly HAP40 and I still need a Techno.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Meerkat Hap40 is next. I love the design and unique lock.
Nate

Post by Nate »

It's a little hard to say, since most of "what's next" for me isn't out yet and I don't know when or in what order they'll drop!

A few have already just occurred: K390 Urban had my finger twitching as soon as I heard about it, and by then it was here! Had been waiting for the dark blue s110v UKPK for quite some time and was ready to pounce as soon as they flipped to "in stock" on dealer shelves. Then I had the Manbug Salt high on my list since Mr. Blonde's pics from the Amsterdam Meet were posted. I expected it might be several more months before these were available, but then yesterday I heard they had dropped and I was lucky to immediately snag one, which probably isn't even in the mail yet.

So far in 2017, I've also picked up a pink Ladybug, Hap40 Manbug, and 2 other UKPKs lol. I'm getting a LOT of mileage out of the relatively guilt-free sub-$100 :spyder:'s this year... :o I also have the lefty pm2 pre-ordered and the knife formerly known as Sliver is a must must must buy, but I suspect that one might still be a ways off as it doesn't currently have a name and I don't believe anyone has seen an msrp or any pre-orders on it.

So after that long preamble, for the purposes of this thread I'll say the Maxamet itch is growing strong and I know I'll either grab the lw Manix 2 or Native 5 once my funds recover a bit (or I sell some stuff) and I decide which model I want more.
:spyder:
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Probably the Hap40 Caly3 and a SE Salt 2, when they come out. I want to try serrated H1 and I like the Delica4 platform. There will likely be others in the mean time though, and my ZDP Caly3 should arrive next week.

The XHP Manix2 is a great knife and great value too
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'll definitely be buying at least one Caly 3 HAP 40 when they drop. I'll probably end up with a S110V UKPK at some point too.

I started a new job this week working for a cabinet company that's opening a new location in my area. The people I'm working for/with aren't really knife people plus I'll be working with customers in our showroom, so I've carried small knives all week to kind of test the waters. Turns out they don't have any box cutters on site yet so my knives have been used by everyone to open hundreds of product samples (plus many other boxes) and then break down the cardboard for the recycling bin. I've carried my Dragonflies, Chaparral CF, Urban LW K390, and a Manbug each day to use as a loaner. I was hired to work in the office primarily but, since we'll be short staffed while we're growing the business, I'll also be spending a lot of time in the warehouse doing inventory and anything else they need me to do. So, after using my Chappie in the warehouse the other day I started thinking that the FRN Chap would make a great work knife. So I'll likely be buying one when they become available.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

There may be something that I reserve for purchase later, but the next one that I know I'll buy is the Caly 3 sprint. I've wanted a Caly 3 for a while, and this may be my last chance for a while after being discontinued. Plus, HAP40.

But if that Unnamed Paul Alexander Flipper were to come out, I'd be in some trouble.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Other than the preordered Rhino and Chap, the only "jump out of my seat and grab my wallet" knife is the Maxamet Native. I have to confess that I'm currently pondering a sprint Lum fixed blade Tanto. I have zero need, but the design is soooo good.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001