What is your favorite/most used lock type?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your favorite lock type?

Backlock or Midlock
33%
Liner/Frame lock
25%
BBL/CBBL
8%
Compression lock
33%

Total votes: 205

Daveho

Re: What is your favorite/most used lock type?

Post by Daveho »

Lock type isn’t make or break for me personally. They are all fine and all do the job.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:37 pm
Lock type isn’t make or break for me personally. They are all fine and all do the job.
Truth. It’s all about those ergos.

But still happy to see all the love for the totally unglamorous backlock. It’s the only lock I’ll carry IWB (which I do frequently).
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I voted backlock and compression lock.

The backlock has actually overtaken the compression lock on my personal list, thanks to the Native 5 G10.
I carry a Native 5 most of the time, but the past week I have really enjoyed my big Dyad. It's a great, albeit heavy knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

tvenuto wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:03 pm
Daveho wrote:

But still happy to see all the love for the totally unglamorous backlock. It’s the only lock I’ll carry IWB (which I do frequently).
But a lock that makes totally one-handed operation simple is a big, big ergonomic feature.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have liner lock, compression lock, and BBL. I think compression lock is used the most because I have more PM2s in my EDC rotation than anything else.
citori

Post by citori »

Since I've recently been reminded, via delivery of a Hap40 version, that the Delica is the greatest EDC knife in the history of the universe, I voted back/mid. I think the compression lock is better simply on the basis of the lock, so I threw it in as well.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Lock is just part of the overall picture;
Steel choice, handle shape, blade shape, grind geometry, size and so on.
It all depends on the intended use of the knife.
For the most part most don’t need a lock on a pocket knife.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I own knives with all the mainstream popular locks: comp lock, BBL, liner lock, frame lock, backlock, axis lock. My most used and favorite is the backlock. I trust it and it has never done me wrong. Second favorite is the compression lock. At this point my least favorite is the frame lock because I don't like how most manufacturers are implimenting them with early lock ups and, if not a flipper, weak weak detents. I only own three frame locks that I like enough that I know I wont sell: CR Sebenza, Slysz Bowie, Spydiechef. These three don't have early lockups and have nice detents.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm
tvenuto wrote:
Daveho wrote:

But a lock that makes totally one-handed operation simple is a big, big ergonomic feature.
Correct. And that’s one of the many reasons I love the backlock. That said though, I don’t think Spyderco makes ANY locks that aren’t simple to open and close with one hand. I just find backlocks the easiest.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:36 am
dj moonbat wrote:
tvenuto wrote:
Daveho wrote:

Correct. And that’s one of the many reasons I love the backlock. That said though, I don’t think Spyderco makes ANY locks that aren’t simple to open and close with one hand. I just find backlocks the easiest.
I like backlocks just fine, but for ease of operation, they're not in the same league as the ball-bearing or compression lock, where all you have to do is disengage the lock and let the blade swing closed.
vivi

Post by vivi »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:40 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
dj moonbat wrote:
tvenuto wrote:

I like backlocks just fine, but for ease of operation, they're not in the same league as the ball-bearing or compression lock, where all you have to do is disengage the lock and let the blade swing closed.
How are they not in the same league when backlocks can be swung shut just as easily?

https://streamable.com/gfhxo
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:45 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
dj moonbat wrote:

How are they not in the same league when backlocks can be swung shut just as easily?

Less adjustment of grip.

Put me in the category of lock type not being a deal breaker.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:13 pm
Vivi wrote:
dj moonbat wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Less adjustment of grip.

All three locks require a grip adjustment to close?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:18 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:13 pm
Vivi wrote:
dj moonbat wrote:

Less adjustment of grip.

All three locks require a grip adjustment to close?
Getting your hand to the lock, yes. After the lock is pressed, the back lock requires more grip adjustment to fully close.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

But you can depress the lock on a backlock with your index finger, swing the blade shut, and it's over. I don't see a need for additional grip adjustments or w/e
Smeadism

Post by Smeadism »

Frame lock (I know its not perfect) follwed by Comp Lock, although with a shaman and a Lil native on the way, comp locks are making a resurgence. My work knife is a Spyderco Rescue 79mm, and the backlock on that is sufficient
Spyderco Shaman, Lil Native & Rescue 79mm Orange handle (work knife)
waiting ever so patiently for the McBee to come out
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like them all. The close bias of a lock back makes it my favorite and most trusted though...especially since I often carry IWB. I also like the sound a lock back makes when opened. That's a silly thing but I've got all kinds of silly reasons for liking the things I like. :)
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:32 pm
But you can depress the lock on a backlock with your index finger, swing the blade shut, and it's over. I don't see a need for additional grip adjustments or w/e
This may work fine with larger knives. This is not at all a safe operation with my Dragonfly or Chaparral.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Yeah, I can even do that with my cold steel 4-max. But i never said it wasn't easy. The others are just easier.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

CBBL. It doesn’t get the credit it deserves. I would love to see more designs with it.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch