2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Re: 2017 - Lightweight/FRN Chaparral

Post by this_is_nascar »

sal wrote:No pics yet as we're still refining. But we're pushing hard to get it done.

sal
Thx. Make it happen, please. :)
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

sal wrote:No pics yet as we're still refining. But we're pushing hard to get it done.

sal
Thanks for the response Sal- I'm really looking forward to this one! Have you guys entertained the thought of any colors for the FRN or are you going to just stick with black for this run?
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Keeping this thread alive. Here's hoping it comes out before the new year, and in a stainless alloy.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

sal
Color/Pics??? :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Can we get an update please? Last I had heard, there was a thread or poll concerning scale color. Has anything been decided?

Should we assume that we will not see the FRN Chaparral in 2017?
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

To me the Chap seems like a min Native. I am definitely on board with this one in FRN. Hopefully we hear something to give hope from Sal.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Cricket Bite wrote:To me the Chap seems like a min Native. I am definitely on board with this one in FRN. Hopefully we hear something to give hope from Sal.
The design is almost exactly a shrunk-down Sage. I want to say that Sal said somewhere that he was going for a smaller version of the Sage 1 with the initial Chaparral.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SG89

Post by SG89 »

this is the last spydie I am wanting. got pretty burned out on buying spydies. great knives just priorities change I guess.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Yea, I purchased the Raffir Noble version on a whim, but it's not really my cup of tea. I'm trying to sell it as we speak. I love my CF Chaparral, but the FRN lightweight is what I've really been waiting for.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I have to admit, I'm waiting on this too. I love my sage 2 and looking for something the same but slightly smaller and lighter for light weight shorts.

Justin
Justin
carrot

Post by carrot »

At first I thought that it would be pointless to buy a FRN Chaparral when I already have one in a "nicer" scale material.

Then I came around to thinking of all the times I wanted to carry the Chaparral, which is one of the sliciest Spydies ever made in a wonderful compact package, but didn't want to scratch up the Raffir Noble scales. Now I definitely want a Chaparrel Lightweight with FRN scales.

The Chaparral was a surprise hit for me and I would generally rather carry this than just about any other small knife now.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think depending on the price point that this one will give the Dragonfly and Delica a run for their money. It is almost as small as the Dragonfly and has almost as much blade as the Delica. Plus, it has a thinner blade and a steel that many would see as an upgrade.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
rivy

Post by rivy »

Thinner blade than a delica? Delica is about as thin of stock as I'm comfortable with... .09 IIRC
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

2.5mm/.093 for the Delica

2mm/.078 for the Chap

It is a small but noticeable difference. I only have the Chap1 but it has held up well for me. It is a small knife and I can only use it so hard. I actually carry mine quite a bit but always as a companion to a larger blade.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
rivy

Post by rivy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:2.5mm/.093 for the Delica

2mm/.078 for the Chap

It is a small but noticeable difference. I only have the Chap1 but it has held up well for me. It is a small knife and I can only use it so hard. I actually carry mine quite a bit but always as a companion to a larger blade.
Wow good to know! Same as the Centofante 3 then? I just remembered I used to have one of those but the blade felt too thin for me so I ended up flipping it.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

The CF Chaparral is my favorite offering from Spyderco. The FRN version is really the only new product that I've been looking forward to, across any manufacturer, for the last year or so.

I just wish it available. I continue to have the feeling that this offering was never intended to be released, if at all, until 2018, even though we've been led to believe we'd have it by now.

Maybe I've always read into more than what was actually there and gave myself unreasonable expectations.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A lot of us are hoping for the frn Chaparral. I really like my CF Chap, but I want something cheaper because of where I live. Gray would be a great color, dark gray. But, dark blue would be just as good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Please, please, please...
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Spydergirl88 wrote:this is the last spydie I am wanting. got pretty burned out on buying spydies. great knives just priorities change I guess.
Just looked through your insta feed. You have a ton of nice spydies. How do you like the Putman scales? I just ordered some for my Manix.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:this is the last spydie I am wanting. got pretty burned out on buying spydies. great knives just priorities change I guess.
Just looked through your insta feed. You have a ton of nice spydies. How do you like the Putman scales? I just ordered some for my Manix.
I liked them for a while then got tired of the texture. excellent quality scales tho
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb