Blending EDC with Self Defense

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

Blending EDC with Self Defense

Post by ZMW »

Alright guys, what is your folder of choice for a nice compromise between EDC and SD? I do not want to pull out my Matriarch or a civilian to open a box at work. But, I want a fully capable SD weapon as well.

Blade length, blade tip, handle/grip, PE/SE, etc.

I personally think the PM2 fits the mold, that is my preference. What else? Millie, endura, any other models I am missing here?

Other consideration, I live in Phoenix. So I can only wear jeans 4-5 months out of the year, so carrying a Millie may not be a great idea in shorts, where as the PM2 is a better fit, but even that is bulky.

Thanks guys!

Edit for Farnorthdan- I fully agree a CCW is the best defense, but in no gun areas, etc, when I can only carry a folder is my concern...
Last edited by ZMW on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
farnorthdan

Re: Blending EDC with Self Defense

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd go with the Military, of course my first line of defense is my CCW.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think that the Military would be my first choice but I also think that the Yojimbo2 is the best blend of SD and utility that you can get in a knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I would freaking hate to use a knife in a defensive situation but hypothetically I would recommend a lil matriarch or harpy. I use those knives daily at work while in the shipping department and they are not to scary at all. A hawkbill or reverse S blade is great for a person not to familiar with edged weapon training. I have training in edged weapon defense through years of Krav Maga so I personally prefer the Spyderco Ronin 2, designed by a member of this forum (Michael Janich). I carry one almost daily IWB. But like I mentioned before. A knife would be my VERY LAST thing I would want to have to use. I prefer my sneakers for self defense. They help me get the heck out of there!!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

42 years of experience tells me I don't need a knife for self defense. I use hands, feet, voice, and my brain.
Now, I can't cut a lime for a gin and tonic without a knife.

As for a knife with shorts, stick with a frn handle for the extra lightweight. The se salt 1 is so light and would do some serious damage in a fight if you needed one. Maybe a serrated frn native would be good too.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Endura, Delica, Native 5 LW. All EDC well and are pointy
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

one of these lightweight beauties is always in my pocket for everyday tasks and utilities, but I believe all would cause some damage to a human person if it hopefully not) ever came down to that

they are excellent EDC folders for normal tasks, inexpensive and unobtrusive

v8r

Post by v8r »

Why would a military be too heavy to carry in shorts? It is probably lighter than a Para. One of the full SE models would fit the bill.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

For a lot of reasons I don't see using a knife as a weapon as being a very practical choice. But, if you had to...any knife :spyder: long enough and pointy enough to get through..say..jacket material, with a good enough grip to keep your hand from slipping will work well. Beyond that, your skill, training, and mental ability will have far more to do with how effective your defense is.

Be safe :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I only use my knife to cut inanimate objects. For self defense i carry my Puma shoes and a small canister of Sabre Red OC spray.
A quick shower of that, with a optional swift stomp kick to the kneecap and then run like **** is what i feel the best defense.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
RoLnD79

Post by RoLnD79 »

Using a EDC knife for self defense should be absolute last resort. They could have a large kitchen knife, and have the advantage over most EDC knives. But if I had to absolutely had to pull out a knife as a last resort, I would hope I just happened to be carrying my K-2 that day.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think that the Delica Wharnie would be a good option.

The Lil Matriarch isn't bad, I don't mind pulling it out to open stuff because it is small-ish. A lot of Self Defense experts argue against Serrations.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I rarely have fantasy knife fights in my mind but when I do I always use a military. I will occasionally fight a grizzly with one too though I typically have a small fixed blade for heavier work like that.
zeroed4x

Post by zeroed4x »

I use this for self defense, notice the over sized spydie hole on the CZ.
For back up, anything that has g10 and a blade longer than 3" with quick one hand deployment.
Yes I do EDC the Tatanka once in a while.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

For clarification on my request. I am referring to a scenario when CCW is not allowed (schools mainly) and when I am with my family, that means a 1 yr old and 4 yr old, so running away is hopefully an option but it may not be. I do have 5-6 years of martial arts training (BJJ and some boxing), but not edged weapon training. I do want to take a few classes just to review some basics.

My family and I go to a Jewish Community Center, and lets just say our facility is a higher value target then your average school or public place. No firearms allowed. In the event of a sh*t hit the fan scenario and I need to protect myself, family, and community, I was curious what would be best in your guys opinions.

Thank you all
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You may want to try out a Military in shorts. They're deceptively light for their size.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ZMW wrote:For clarification on my request. I am referring to a scenario when CCW is not allowed (schools mainly) and when I am with my family, that means a 1 yr old and 4 yr old, so running away is hopefully an option but it may not be. I do have 5-6 years of martial arts training (BJJ and some boxing), but not edged weapon training. I do want to take a few classes just to review some basics.

My family and I go to a Jewish Community Center, and lets just say our facility is a higher value target then your average school or public place. No firearms allowed. In the event of a sh*t hit the fan scenario and I need to protect myself, family, and community, I was curious what would be best in your guys opinions.

Thank you all
Hey ZMW, for the record, I was just being silly and looking for a laugh in my post. Not trying to devalue the thread in any way. :) My real answer to your question remains the Military though. The long reach and secure grip afforded by the large blade and the larger handle make it one of the better blades in the lineup for emergency SD situations IMO.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I wonder if the lil matriarch could handle some edc tasks. It might be what you are looking for.
Small, light, versatile. I don't have one, so I couldn't tell. Maybe someone else could answer.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SF Native wrote:I wonder if the lil matriarch could handle some edc tasks. It might be what you are looking for.
Small, light, versatile. I don't have one, so I couldn't tell. Maybe someone else could answer.

It makes a great EDC. Not quite as versatile as a traditional blade shape but far more useful than most would imagine for many everyday tasks. I love my pe lil Matriarch and have carried it tons as my sole EDC.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I will add to this that D3 Protection makes incredible saps and blackjacks and both would be better than a knife(off your state laws allow). My wife has the D3 mini jack which is about 4-5oz and that is about as much as most EDC folders. A shot to the collarbone or wrist would be a fracture and end a fight. A solid swing to the melon could be a depressed skull fracture and death. I would much prefer an Impact weapon over a knife for SD. d3protection.com and please tell Dave that Jeremy from ALABAMA sent you.