MT23P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with CPM 20CV

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

MT23P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with CPM 20CV

Post by TazKristi »

MT23P will be available for sale on Thursday, 15-Dec-2016 at 0900 (MST)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com. You will find it under model # MT23.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $69.95 each

Domestic Orders:
Domestic Shipping in the Continental United States: Standard Shipping rates apply.
Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico Shipping: USPS $15.00

International Orders:
International orders have a maximum allowed amount of $600 (including shipping fees) for all online orders. All orders over $600 must be placed via phone or e-mail and paid for via wire transfer. Shipment of orders paid for via wire transfer will not occur until monies have been received by the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store. You may contact our store to place a wire transfer order at sfo@spyderco.com or 303/279-8383 x 107.

International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $45
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $60

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About CPM 20CV:
Spyderco’s twenty-third Mule Team installment features CPM 20CV steel, a highly wear resistant, powder metallurgy stainless tool steel. CPM 20CV is unique in that it contains a high volume of vanadium carbides and the highest amount of chromium of any high-vanadium stainless steel currently available. This potent combination of elements gives it a remarkable combination of high wear resistance, superior corrosion resistance, good impact toughness, and excellent polishability. These properties are maximized by the powder metallurgy process, which ensures an extremely clean steel with small carbides and a very fine grain size.

CPM 20CV excels in industrial applications that demand high wear resistance and high corrosion resistance, such as plastic injection feed screws, barrel liners, screw tips, and mold cavities. It is also used in food processing equipment and pelletizer knives and is an extremely popular blade steel in high-performance custom knives.

CPM 20CV's alloy composition is as follows: Carbon: 1.90%, Manganese: 0.30%, Silicon: 0.30%, Chromium: 20.0%, Tungsten: 0.60%, Molybdenum: 1.00%, and Vanadium: 4.00%.

An advanced alloy that offers outstanding potential in high-performance cutlery applications, CPM 20CV is a truly unique blade material.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Ankerson

Re: MT23P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with CPM 20CV

Post by Ankerson »

Should be a good one. :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm interested.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Nice! I was really wondering what MT23 would be.
-Nick :bug-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I was hoping we would see this before Christmas.
So far, I like 20cv. One of those will join the collection.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ankerson wrote:Should be a good one. :)
Will you test and review this one? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I was just thinking about 20CV! I've been considering upgrading a knife from another manufacturer to a the higher model that uses 20CV. So I started reading a little about the steel and learned that it's very similar to M390 and 204P. Sounds good to me!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
IR192

Post by IR192 »

I have a custom made hunting knife in 20CV and it performs excellently! I have also been thinking about it, and now look forward to this being my first MT knife!!
Recently Acquired: Hap40 Endura, Hap40 Stretch, Manix2 LW XHP, PM2 Cruwear, Farid K2, Kiwi4, LC200N Native, Large Lum Folder, Manix2 Cruwear.

In The Works: 204P Military, Nirvana, Slysz Bowie.
-Ed
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

I'll be all over this one. Excellent steel. Might even bump my RWL 34 off the belt......
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Hooray! A new Mule. Another great steel! I can't wait! :D :D :spyder:
Last edited by Xplorer on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Niles

Post by Niles »

Sounds like a winner. Not an unusual steel by any means, but a great chance to own a 20cv knife at that price point.
kosta

Post by kosta »

Good news
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

High po-lish-a-bi-li-ty....that is a new term for me :rolleyes: How does this steel compare with ZDP189?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Ordered 2 today.
I believe 20cv is similar to m390 and 204p.
Should have better corrosion resistance, better edge retention, less chipping, tougher than zdp.
I think zdp can get a finer edge though.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I'm excited to have my 2 on the way!

More Mule fun!! :D :spyder: :spyder:
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Maybe I'm asking too much, but I will be really stoked if the new catalog come with my 2.
sal

Post by sal »

We just finished printing the new catalog. Really nice. Joyce is the best.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Update me on this, please: Basically a Mule Team knife is where you get the blade, with no handle, of a semi-experimental steel alloy, to test how it cuts and stands up to various things, correct? Or do some MT knives come with handle scales on them?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Correct, spyderedge.
Just a blade, no scales, no sheath.
You can order scales from Halperin titanium or you can make your own. Or even just wraps it in Parachord. The sheath is a bit of do it yourself.
The photo section of this forum has a long thread with projects that people have made. Some are very inspiring.
But mules always have the same shape and size blade so you can really test apples to apples.
I have about 5 or 6 that I made my own scales for floating around my kitchen getting daily testing.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

SFNative, very cool, thank you so much. This inspires me to want to get one of the Mule Teams and try it out.