Tip Up Military Mod

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Tip Up Military Mod

Post by ABX2011 »

I like carrying tip up. It's what I'm used to.
I had an extra scale from the Griptilian. I removed three of the screw inserts with a vice and coping saw. Drilled 9/64" holes, a drop of epoxy, tapped them in and reused the screws from the Mili.
I mounted it a little too high so that I had to sand down the end of the clip. Whoops.
Much happier now!

Xplorer

Re: Tip Up Military Mod

Post by Xplorer »

Good job ABX2011! I too prefer everything tip up..even when the knife might be a little long it's still what I'm comfortable with.

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Very nice. I've been tempted as well. A little surprised it didn't come along with the other CQI changes.
Anthonycastorena2014

Post by Anthonycastorena2014 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:25 am
I like carrying tip up. It's what I'm used to.
I had an extra scale from the Griptilian. I removed three of the screw inserts with a vice and coping saw. Drilled 9/64" holes, a drop of epoxy, tapped them in and reused the screws from the Mili.
I mounted it a little too high so that I had to sand down the end of the clip. Whoops.
Much happier now!

Would you be open to doing this again? I joined the forum just to ask you lol. I will compensate you for your time/ materials. Please shoot me an email and let me know. Thanx!

Respectfully,
Anthony Castorena
Anthonycastorena2014@gmail.com
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is pretty nice. Personally, I like the tip down on a large knife, but tip up on a smaller knife. However, I like what you have done.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd really like to see this option from factory.

:unicorn
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 am

Me too! And with Spyderco now using clip screw inserts on certain linerless g10 knives it is now something that could be done as part of CQI rather than requiring redesign.

I know there are a few that like tip down that will complain about the extra holes but I believe that camp will be far outweighed by the people who have never purchased this awesome knife because they couldn’t carry it the way they wanted.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

... the holes, the holes ...! :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:48 am
Vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 am

Me too! And with Spyderco now using clip screw inserts on certain linerless g10 knives it is now something that could be done as part of CQI rather than requiring redesign.

I know there are a few that like tip down that will complain about the extra holes but I believe that camp will be far outweighed by the people who have never purchased this awesome knife because they couldn’t carry it the way they wanted.
Hear hear!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Not to mention the fact that most of the folks asking for the design to remain tip down only already own at least one copy of the knife where those who want a tip up Millie comprise a relatively fresh and untapped market for the Millie. From Spyderco’s perspective it seems like an easy decision to me. Sorry hole-haters. :o
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 am
Not to mention the fact that most of the folks asking for the design to remain tip down only already own at least one copy of the knife where those who want a tip up Millie comprise a relatively fresh and untapped market for the Millie. From Spyderco’s perspective it seems like an easy decision to me. Sorry hole-haters. :o
I’d happily carry a Millie tip up, tip down, tip sideways! :)

... the holes, the holes ...! :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

All of my other knives are tip-up except the Military. So without thinking, my muscle memory wants to pocket the knife in a certain way. I recently bought the KW Titanium/Carbon Fiber Military and have been carrying it exclusively for the past few weeks. I love this knife!!! I am slowly reversing my muscle memory, but still originally orient the knife in the wrong direction about half the time. Maybe with a few more weeks I can unlearn tip-up? But then what happens when I carry the PM2 or Manix 2 again.

The Military clip is not universal, meaning it is bent and cannot be flipped to the other side. An additional clip with the reverse angle would have to be put in the box with the knife for the Military to have multiple clip positions like other adjustable knife clips. Not sure if this is a possibility so I am showing my Millie some love and embracing the current clip design. So far I have no issues with tip-up except my own muscle memory of pocketing the knife without thinking. I believe I will eventually get there, it will just take some time.
Last edited by Hopweaver on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

You can use the lanyard hole and then the mod is completely reversible.
Here is my Knifeworks Millie. Yeah it's kind of ugly because of the washer. I didn't have to do it that way but I figured the added surface area would make it less likely to rotate. It's very solid. I've seen one guy on BF who used a Sebenza clip.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hopweaver wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 am
All of my other knives are tip-up except the Military. So without thinking, my muscle memory wants to pocket the knife in a certain way. I recently bought the KW Titanium/Carbon Fiber Military and have been carrying it exclusively for the past few weeks. I love this knife!!! I am slowly reversing my muscle memory, but still originally orient the knife in the wrong direction about half the time. Maybe with a few more weeks I can unlearn tip-up? But then what happens when I carry the PM2 or Manix 2 again.

The Military clip is not universal, meaning it is bent and cannot be flipped to the other side. An additional clip with the reverse angle would have to be put in the box with the knife for the Military to have multiple clip positions like other adjustable knife clips. Not sure if this is a possibility so I am showing my Millie some love and embracing the current clip design. So far I have no issues with tip-up except my own muscle memory of pocketing the knife without thinking. I believe I will eventually get there, it will just take some time.
Cold steel includes two clips with a lot of their knives.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Tip up made all the difference for me. I agree that Spyderco could boost sales with tip up factory options, and was surprised it wasn't part of the recent "in-line" CQI.

After I did the CF with inserts, I got brave and tapped some Ti for the first time.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If anything I might try this just because I already know the clip position is better for ergonomics when at the butt of the handle and it's a bit gentler on your hand when going into your pocket. Otherwise I'm fine with tip down on big knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I prefer tip down on a large knife like this, tip up would take 2 or 3 hands to pull out and open.

It would be somewhat difficult for Spyderco to offer the option. They would have to change the clip shape so it could be mounted either way. With the problem they have with people messing up screws they probably wouldn't want to use inserts in the G10. There isn't a liner to put the screws into so they would have to lengthen the liner, or they would have to add a small piece of liner glued to the inside of the scale to keep it in place.

For that matter, people that want to move the clip now have to come up with inserts and screws. I've thought that they could get a small piece of flat steel to match the current liners, drill and tap 3 holes in it, and just put it in the inside of the scale to attach the clip to. I said "drill and tap"- I'm not sure I would try drilling and tapping such small holes myself. Someone that makes and sells aftermarket clips could come up with the whole kit- clip, flat piece of metal already drilled and tapped, and screws. They could include a template for the user to drill new holes in their scale and then put it all together.
mattman

Post by mattman »

bdblue wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm
I prefer tip down on a large knife like this, tip up would take 2 or 3 hands to pull out and open.

It would be somewhat difficult for Spyderco to offer the option. They would have to change the clip shape so it could be mounted either way. With the problem they have with people messing up screws they probably wouldn't want to use inserts in the G10. There isn't a liner to put the screws into so they would have to lengthen the liner, or they would have to add a small piece of liner glued to the inside of the scale to keep it in place.
For that matter, people that want to move the clip now have to come up with inserts and screws. I've thought that they could get a small piece of flat steel to match the current liners, drill and tap 3 holes in it, and just put it in the inside of the scale to attach the clip to. I said "drill and tap"- I'm not sure I would try drilling and tapping such small holes myself. Someone that makes and sells aftermarket clips could come up with the whole kit- clip, flat piece of metal already drilled and tapped, and screws. They could include a template for the user to drill new holes in their scale and then put it all together.
They're already using inserts in linerless G10... See backlock Manix.
anycal

Post by anycal »

bdblue wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm
...They would have to change the clip shape so it could be mounted either way...
You could just include the lefty Military clip in the box. Although I will admit, that big clip would look a bit odd on that end of this knife.
Peter
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 am
You're wrong. A handful of people chiming in for tip-up threads does not make a market. It barely makes a percentile. In fact the Military proves the opposite. It's a major seller. Not changing it for 20 years hasn't changed that.
Tip-uppers are a squeeky wheel at best. There are several other comparable models that fill such desires. There's no reason to change such an iconic model for the squeeks.

The holes, the horror, the horror....