Tip Up Military Mod

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Tip Up Military Mod

Post by Surfingringo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 am
Not to mention the fact that most of the folks asking for the design to remain tip down only already own at least one copy of the knife where those who want a tip up Millie comprise a relatively fresh and untapped market for the Millie. From Spyderco’s perspective it seems like an easy decision to me. Sorry hole-haters. :o
You're wrong. A handful of people chiming in for tip-up threads does not make a market. It barely makes a percentile. In fact the Military proves the opposite. It's a major seller. Not changing it for 20 years hasn't changed that.
Tip-uppers are a squeeky wheel at best. There are several other comparable models that fill such desires. There's no reason to change such an iconic model for the squeeks.

The holes, the horror, the horror....
I wonder what group is larger, those who will never buy it if it has 4-way clip option or those who will only buy it if it has 4 way clip option. I like carrying tip up but if I were designing a folder I would do my best to accommodate tip down carry too as that would likely increase my market. Didn’t the paramilitary 1 come tapped for tip down only? I wonder how badly pm2 sales have suffered because of the 4 way clip they added?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Yeah that's a great point Lance. The PM1 was only tip down, but when the PM2 was released with 9 extra holes for clip options it wasn't the end of the world. Do the holes effect the function of the knife? Not at all, though only having one option for carry is limiting to some. And as mentioned earlier, the Manix backlock has threaded screw inserts in the linerless G10, and if I'm not mistaken the KC S90V Native green G10 does as well.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 am
Not to mention the fact that most of the folks asking for the design to remain tip down only already own at least one copy of the knife where those who want a tip up Millie comprise a relatively fresh and untapped market for the Millie. From Spyderco’s perspective it seems like an easy decision to me. Sorry hole-haters. :o
You're wrong. A handful of people chiming in for tip-up threads does not make a market. It barely makes a percentile. In fact the Military proves the opposite. It's a major seller. Not changing it for 20 years hasn't changed that.
Tip-uppers are a squeeky wheel at best. There are several other comparable models that fill such desires. There's no reason to change such an iconic model for the squeeks.

The holes, the horror, the horror....
Well said brother!

I very much doubt that extra sales would recoup even the smallest percentage of tooling costs.

Something else that may be worthy of consideration is how many members here actually carry a Military? It seems to me, at least, that a fair percentage of members consider the knife too big for an EDC and they’re knife knuts.

I wonder how many non knife knuts pay a couple of hundred dollars for knives and actually hinge they’re investment on tip orientation?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would venture that the more a person pays for a knife the more likely they are to be concerned with “details” like how they can carry it. Personally, I tend to not even consider designs that come drilled for tip down carry only. I’ve passed on a handful of great looking designs in the last year or two for this very reason. Probably small minded of me, but I like what I like.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Certainly valid points Lance. I’m just not that rigid and as I said in an earlier post I’d happily carry a knife I like either tip up or down. :)

My personal view is I dislike holes all over knives. The Military just happens to be my favourite large folder and it doesn’t have holes all over the scales to make it look like an unfinished project. :eek:

By all means change it to tip up but please spare me the holes. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't think Spyderco is going to offer an option for tip-up. As others have mentioned, the clip that comes with the knife doesn't work well on the other end of the handle because of the curve. A righty would want the lefty clip for tip-up. So they'd have to change the clip.
Also, since we're all speculating, I'm guessing that the Military is a pretty slow seller these days.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:26 am
I don't think Spyderco is going to offer an option for tip-up. As others have mentioned, the clip that comes with the knife doesn't work well on the other end of the handle because of the curve. A righty would want the lefty clip for tip-up. So they'd have to change the clip.
Also, since we're all speculating, I'm guessing that the Military is a pretty slow seller these days.
The Military 2 is coming. No one knows when. It'll be 4 position clip.

Although my conspiracy theory is the Police 4 was the Military 2 and they just couldn't bring them selves to brand it Military. LOL So who knows about the Millie 2
vivi

Post by vivi »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:56 am
I would venture that the more a person pays for a knife the more likely they are to be concerned with “details” like how they can carry it. Personally, I tend to not even consider designs that come drilled for tip down carry only. I’ve passed on a handful of great looking designs in the last year or two for this very reason. Probably small minded of me, but I like what I like.
Same here.

Over time my tastes have become a lot more strict. Keeps a lot of models off my radar without giving them a chance, but it saves me time, money and frustration.

* No tip up carry, no purchase
* No locking mechanism with a self close, no purchase (Plan to make an exception for the ATR2 though...)
* No full size, four finger grip without using an index finger choil, no purchase
* No stainless steel or DLC coated carbon steel blade, no purchase (Fixed blades I'll carry whatever, folders rust so easily though with all their nooks and crannies to trap moisture and food juices)
* Weighs too much to carry frequently, no purchase (No hard limit, but I rarely carry a knife that weighs over 5oz when I have 3oz knives that cover all my needs, much less will I truly EDC it)

etc.

After a decade of buying, selling and trading Spydercos, I've figured out what does and doesn't work for me. Probably going to sell it and hold out for the Military 2 like I had planned to. Just feels weird not having one in my collection, even if I never carry it.

It's ironic, I think the military is the best modern single blade folder on the market...but #1 and #2 keep me from actually carrying mine.
:unicorn
Matt David

Post by Matt David »

I just modded mine tonight. I used threaded inserts from a Benchmade Freak (the three on the side without the clip). I just threaded a screw part of the way in and pressed on it to pop them out. I happen to have a CNC router so with a little goofing around I milled appropriately sized pockets for them to be pressed in. Very happy with the results!

Last edited by Matt David on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Surfingringo wrote:

I'm not sure that logic is sound for the knife buying public at large... look at all the $300+ Ti framelocks with single clip positions (RH, tip up only), they must sell like hotcakes for there to be so many "me too" designs on the market.

...not saying that I don't like having the option of 4 position (or at least two position) clip mounting, just that it probably doesn't kill all that many sales.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

So why are the threaded inserts necessary? I know what threaded inserts are for, but doesn’t Spyderco generally tap the liners directly?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:14 pm
So why are the threaded inserts necessary? I know what threaded inserts are for, but doesn’t Spyderco generally tap the liners directly?
The military doesn't have full liners.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Surfingringo wrote:
I avoided the Military for years because of the tip-down-only clip placement. Recently I inherited a Military from my father and I’ve carried it a little. The big problem is muscle memory. All my other clipped Spydercos are set up tip-up, so the Military feels awkward. I may try the nondestructive lanyard hole mounting to see how I like it.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:16 pm
zhyla wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:14 pm
The military doesn't have full liners.
Ahhhhhh ok. That makes sense.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I've been planning to do this mod for a long time, inspired by Xplorer/Chad's work shown in the mods thread using helicoil inserts. Assuming I ever get around to actually doing it, I also plan to tap my Ti model (not the fluted one, although I'm probably not above it) for regular clip screws. I really like the design and look of the Millie and will keep the original curved clips. Being a lefty, I won't need new clips but will just move them around to the other side. Since there's been a fairly recent run of the lefty millie, I feel sure there should be some extra lefty clips in stock for you rightie modders to snap up before they're all gone, if you want to stick with the curved clip.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
vivi

Post by vivi »

bdblue wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm
I prefer tip down on a large knife like this, tip up would take 2 or 3 hands to pull out and open.
For me, with me goofball sized hands at least, if I draw a large tip up folder like my Police 4 so that my thumb is in the middle of the presentation side and the second joint of my middle finger is in the depression of the clip, it requires very little adjustment. No more than carrying tip down. Pull it out of my pocket, slide my thumb to the opening hole, good to go. Like this:

Part of the issue with carrying the Millie tip down for me was the jimping on the spine loved to catch on my pocket when I'd draw it from my pocket. Its not so much a matter of tacticool deployment speed as it is convenience. I don't want my folder hanging up on the edge of my pocket 1/20 times I reach for my knife.
:unicorn
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I would like to do this mod but I don’t have any knife handles I’m willing to harvest for inserts. Is there someone that knows which size threaded screw inserts I will need for this?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PeanutButterFan wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:30 pm
I would like to do this mod but I don’t have any knife handles I’m willing to harvest for inserts. Is there someone that knows which size threaded screw inserts I will need for this?
These are what I used... Quick and easy mod.

EZ Lok 240-002-BR, 2-56 Flush Press Insert, Brass
https://a.co/d/c4EoPDk
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:20 am
PeanutButterFan wrote:

Ordered! Will need to pickup a new clip first but looking forward to it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:20 am
PeanutButterFan wrote:

Thank you. Can these be installed from the opposite side so the clip screws would would not pull the inserts out of the hande?