paramilitary 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
That's BS

Re: paramilitary 3

Post by That's BS »

SpyderNut, thanks for all the great info and suggestions. I've looked into each one and I think I'm still leaning towards the Para 3.

To be honest, I want the "fun factor" of the compression lock, which is why I initially was asking about the Sage 5 as well. At 3 ounces I think it should ride just fine in my scrubs. And if not, it'll be my weekend carry and I'll have an excuse to buy one more smaller/lighter knife for work. :D

Now to find one in stock...
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

APS wrote:The end of that clip seems to stick up instead of flat. Does it dig your palm?
If anything, the Lynch Clip fills the gap in the palm of your hand as you're gripping the knife.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Fun factor, that it is. 3oz it is not.

Did a weigh in of my fleet. Most are as advertised or lower. As far as my Spyderco knives go,
- Manix 2 LW - 3.0oz - as advertised
- Delica 4 - 2.4oz - as advertised
- PM2 - 3.8oz - hair lighter, 3.9 advertised
- Para 3 - 3.5oz or 3.4oz. I guess it depends on where the moon is in relation to my home...

When I first got it, I almost had a hard time telling which is lighter, my PM2 or P3. Does it bother me, no. Would I prefer it to be 3.0oz, yes.
Peter
kingston73

Post by kingston73 »

Where's are you guys buying Lynch clips from? The only place I found was sold out and I thought he stopped selling them on the forums? Also, I "preordered" from knife center, are they just shipping when they get stock and putting names on a waiting list? I haven't found anywhere that has these in stock.
anycal

Post by anycal »

One more thought. You definitely need more than one knife :D . Like you said, get yourself a P3, and somewhere down the line, try something different.

Where I am at today,
Mrs. took my Delica 4. She loves it. Small, lightweight, great knife for her.
I am giving my Manix 2 LW to a buddy. It was a fun knife, but at this point I have no need for it.
Since I need a replacement for this loss, my next one will be the Native 5 LW. Small foot print, light, US made, choil, S110 steel, and found a great deep carry clip on amazon. It may replace my P3. Another lucky buddy, I guess...
Peter
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Casey only sales them on BladeHQ now adays. They are few and far in between, just keep looking every day they will eventually get more stock. I always buy at least one every time they come into stock. I have a black one awaiting my new Para3 I just got today awaiting it's arrival :)
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:I have a black one awaiting my new Para3 I just got today awaiting it's arrival :)
Woo Hoo!! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Sharp Guy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:I have a black one awaiting my new Para3 I just got today awaiting it's arrival :)
I saw you sold yours today Sharp Guy, I'm assuming Murphy grabbed it. Why the sale, what didn't click for you, just curious. I've yet to carry mine, it's a nice piece but I think I like the 2 better.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

farnorthdan wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
I saw you sold yours today Sharp Guy, I'm assuming Murphy grabbed it. Why the sale, what didn't click for you, just curious. I've yet to carry mine, it's a nice piece but I think I like the 2 better.
I did 2 pre-orders in attempt to have one of these in my hand as soon as possible. I intended on canceling the second pre-order after I received and was happy with the first one. I was more than satisfied with the first one but when I called the dealer to cancel the second pre-order the rep said it was already being processed. It turned out the second one was actually a little better than the first so the first one was sold. Nothing was wrong with the first one and I like the model just fine. I just don't need two.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Sharp Guy wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
I did 2 pre-orders in attempt to have one of these in my hand as soon as possible. I intended on canceling the second pre-order after I received and was happy with the first one. I was more than satisfied with the first one but when I called the dealer to cancel the second pre-order the rep said it was already being processed. It turned out the second one was actually a little better than the first so the first one was sold. Nothing was wrong with the first one and I like the model just fine. I just don't need two.
Ah, gotcha, yea I've done that before too. I really do need to give the 3 a chance I guess. For some reason I've really been drawn to larger blades lately, I blame it all on the Military :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

farnorthdan wrote:Ah, gotcha, yea I've done that before too. I really do need to give the 3 a chance I guess. For some reason I've really been drawn to larger blades lately, I blame it all on the Military :D
I have to admit that, as much as I like smaller knives, the release of the Para 3 has actually made me look at my PM2s a little harder. Not that I didn't like the PM2 before, I did. With the Para 3 only being shorter than the PM2 (not scaled down overall) I find that it really doesn't carry much differently than a PM2. I also find the clip placement on the Para 3 a little awkward and less comfortable than the PM2. I prefer smaller knives but, at this point, I'm not really restricted to what I carry. So now I'm thinking, why not just carry the longer knife?
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Sharp Guy wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Ah, gotcha, yea I've done that before too. I really do need to give the 3 a chance I guess. For some reason I've really been drawn to larger blades lately, I blame it all on the Military :D
I have to admit that, as much as I like smaller knives, the release of the Para 3 has actually made me look at my PM2s a little harder. Not that I didn't like the PM2 before, I did. With the Para 3 only being shorter than the PM2 (not scaled down overall) I find that it really doesn't carry much differently than a PM2. I also find the clip placement on the Para 3 a little awkward and less comfortable than the PM2. I prefer smaller knives but, at this point, I'm not really restricted to what I carry. So now I'm thinking, why not just carry the longer knife?

^^^ This.

I never owned a PM2 until I got my Para 3.

I'm all in on the PM2 now. Anyone want to trade a PM2 for my Para 3? ;)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

https://youtu.be/9z4CrFDAkzo
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
That's BS

Post by That's BS »

The Para 3 is currently in stock at cutlery shoppe dot com. Just ordered mine. :D

Now I need to cancel my other preorders...
kingston73

Post by kingston73 »

I found mine at gpknives, in stock last I checked.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Actually really like this thing, it might be the new edc..Put a lynch clip on it and a drop of nano on the pivot and it's pretty **** close to a free dropper now. Beautiful knife!

Josh
anycal

Post by anycal »

Like it now. A lot!

Had my reservations about it at first. Didn't really feel I needed it. Felt a bit cumbersome to handle compare to PM2.

It is just such a fun smaller knife. Smaller in the pocket; fun to play with; sufficient for everything I have put it through over the last 10 days.

Picked up my PM2 for the first time in a while. Holy crap, I was shocked! PM2 is a monster. It looks and feels a lot bigger than I remember. Makes me want to get a Military just so I can be shocked again.

Anyways. P3 is here to stay. Wow...
Peter
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Got mine today and I am very happy with it. It fills a niche that the Para 2 does not. I heartily recommend.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I've followed the trend of installing the deep carry Lynch pocket clip as well. I've only had the Para 3 for a few hours, I already love it. Got lucky with perfectly tuned free dropping blade. No Nano Oil required! That won't stop me from dismantling it and using Nano anyway :D
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I traded my Para 3 for a PM2. It's not that I don't think the knife is great (it is), it's just that it carries the same in my pocket as the PM2 so why not have the longer blade and handle?