paramilitary 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

Re: paramilitary 3

Post by flash900 »

RamZar wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote: Very interesting... In my mind the Ouroboros was smaller... Now I want one more.
Except that Ouroboros is $173.97 with VG-10/G-10 and Para3 is only $119.97 with S30V/G-10!
Well said, Ram.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:Hey Cobra,

Lotsa folks out there with lotsa preferences. Most like 3", but many like larger or smaller. It is for that reason that we're always experimenting with blade size. A little bit makes a big difference. The Chappy is 2.75 blade with a finger choil. The new Alcyone is 2.9 with no finger choil. Different feel because the handles are different. Also different locks offer differences in function of the different blades. The Chappy is a lock-back, the Alcyone a Walker Linerlock. The Lil' Temperance is only 3" in blade length, but it's a much larger knife. It's a Compression Lock.

sal
I'm glad you do! What suits me to a T might be a dealbreaker to someone else and vice versa :)
Personally i appreciate the Navigator and Military, and most of the ones in between.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Received my Para 3 on Saturday, which was two days earlier than my tracking number said it would be here (love when this happens).

Upon opening the box I said, "Whoa... that's a big knife!"

At this point, you're probably wondering what's wrong with me. While I do have the hands of a small girl, this wasn't the cause of my surprise. This is the biggest Spyderco I now own. I've never handled a Military or PM2 (Blurple S110V one gets to me tomorrow) so I didn't have anything to prepare me for the Para 3's size. I've been a Spyderco owner and collector for 15+ years and I've only ever owned smaller models with CF or FRN scales (Caly's, Chaparral, etc).

This is knife represents many firsts for me. First knife in G10. First knife in S30V. First knife with this lock mechanism. And even my first knife from Golden.

Enough background... on with the quick review.

The guys saying this knife doesn't fit their hands must have some big meaty paws. The handle feels like it was made for my hands (little girl-like as they may be). And that handle's G10 is super grippy (remember I normally have CF scales). In fact, I'm currently exploring how to reduce some of this grip under the pocket clip so that I don't shred my pants. And while mentioning the pocket clip, I switched the standard Spyderco clip out for a shorter, yet deep-pocket model right after taking it out of the box.

The knife was extremely sharp out of the box, but it must be about a 40+deg back bevel. The grind marks were very evident and wavy, but the micro-bevel was even and toothy. I haven't put it to the Sharpmaker yet, but that will be coming tonight. So far I'm quite disappointed with the edge retention. Yesterday I made less than 20 cuts of a soft rubber-like material (that grippy drawer liner stuff) using light pressure on a soft piece of plywood, and the knife no longer will shave arm hair.

Fit and finish on this knife is quite amazing for a production knife. I've always read about how the Chris Reeve Sebenza has a "bank-vault" like action and have owned and sold a couple of them, and have experienced their action. This Para 3 is way smoother and way nicer. Blade centering is perfect. Lock up is completely secure. And the knife is fun to just sit and flip open and closed like no other I own... including my flippers!

Back to my background...

I'm a pastor. I don't need a big workhorse of a knife. I need a knife that is going to open mail, some boxes, and other light cutting tasks. Even the Para 3 is overkill in this regard. But you know what? It's perfect for me and I look forward to purchasing many variations of this one. Sal and Eric have created a real hit with this model and I wouldn't be surprised if we see it take many production knife awards in 2017 and beyond.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

I swapped out the clip for a deep carry short clip and the grip hot spots totally disappeared. My only nit now is that the G10 right behind the compression lock is very square and sharp (I believe this is rounded on the PM2). More annoying than anything but still enough to make me notice it every time I engage the lock.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Mr Danger wrote:I swapped out the clip for a deep carry short clip and the grip hot spots totally disappeared. My only nit now is that the G10 right behind the compression lock is very square and sharp (I believe this is rounded on the PM2). More annoying than anything but still enough to make me notice it every time I engage the lock.
I experience the same thing, Mr. Danger (Danger is my... middle name by the way).

If and when I take this sucker apart that corner is getting hit with some 1000 grit sandpaper PDQ.

Here is the offending bit:

Nismogsxr

Post by Nismogsxr »

Anybody wanting one, New Graham has them back in stock. They had 1 left when I snagged mine. I have been debating between this and a PM2 as my first spyderco, and I decided on this. I think it will be perfect for EDC for me. Now I'm just curious to see how long it will take for custom scales to come out for it.
Last edited by Nismogsxr on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Zatx wrote:
Mr Danger wrote:I swapped out the clip for a deep carry short clip and the grip hot spots totally disappeared. My only nit now is that the G10 right behind the compression lock is very square and sharp (I believe this is rounded on the PM2). More annoying than anything but still enough to make me notice it every time I engage the lock.
I experience the same thing, Mr. Danger (Danger is my... middle name by the way).

If and when I take this sucker apart that corner is getting hit with some 1000 grit sandpaper PDQ.

Here is the offending bit:

That's it. But the funny thing is that it's rounded on the underside.

Danger actually is my middle name.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've kissed that sharp edge with sandpaper on more than one PM2. The CF version especially was a biter.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Mine came in and perfect. Best EDC I own. Period. I will have every color, every steel, everyone. Bring it!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Can we see some more pics of your lynch clip on it? I'm curious how well or how much it covers up the lanyard tube, if it does significantly cover it I may be in for one, I just can't get over how big and ugly that lanyard hole is :)
Josh
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Here's a MXG Gear clip. Covers 1/4 of the hole but I think you should be able to fit paracord through the remaining hole.
IMG_20170109_212641.jpg
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:Can we see some more pics of your lynch clip on it? I'm curious how well or how much it covers up the lanyard tube, if it does significantly cover it I may be in for one, I just can't get over how big and ugly that lanyard hole is :)
It's funny, the large hole never really bothered me on the PM2 or Manix but it sure does look out of place on the P3. I understand why they included it but, since I'm not a lanyard user, I sure wouldn't have been disappointed if they went with a smaller hole on the smaller knife.

I tried a Lynch clip on Para 3 and it covered the hole similar to the MX clip that Mr Danger shared.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The action on my Para 3 is a thing of beauty. It's ridiculously smooth, blade falls freely and there is zero blade play. I don't think I've ever received a PM2 with action this good, and I've owned over 20 or so. Is this a result of the new stepped pin? I really can't get over how solid the lock up is.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The action on my Para 3 is a thing of beauty. It's ridiculously smooth, blade falls freely and there is zero blade play. I don't think I've ever received a PM2 with action this good, and I've owned over 20 or so. Is this a result of the new stepped pin? I really can't get over how solid the lock up is.
My second Para 3 is as you describe. My first one isn't far behind and I suspect a very slight pivot tweek would make it work just like #2. I haven't tried to adjust anything because I don't plan on keeping it.

I only have 2 PM2's and both are really good. My Cruwear PM2 is awesome and is basically the same as my Para 3 except the detent is a little stronger.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Shipping got delayed somewhere along the line, so I just got mine today, but its pretty much spot on in terms of blade deployment. Silky smooth action and the blade drops free and still has rock solid lockup! I'm very pleased with this knife so far. It's certainly a better fit in hand for me than the PM2.
-Nick :bug-red
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Can someone post a comparison of the Para 3 and a Manix 2?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Can someone post a comparison of the Para 3 and a Manix 2?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Redcorn

Post by Redcorn »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Can someone post a comparison of the Para 3 and a Manix 2?
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I feel dirty after looking at these shots from Redcorn!
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Okay, now get a pair of scissors in the mix.