Why the Manix in Maxemet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Why the Manix in Maxemet?

Post by Doc Dan »

Why did Spyderco choose to issue the Manix 2 LW in Maxemet instead of something like the Para-Military, which I would rather have? Was it a cost saving issue? Help me understand.

I am ok with the Manix 2 but it is a bit wide and I preferred the previous backlock version. I like the PM2 quite a lot. The blade shape is very useful.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Brock O Lee

Re: Why the Manix in Maxemet?

Post by Brock O Lee »

I think it's because the Manix LW is one of the most inexpensive 3.5 inch platforms. The regular BD1 model is just over $80 street. I think Maxamet is still an experiment. It could be an expensive experiment if for some reason the market does not like the steel, so it makes sense for Spyderco to keep their risk as low as possible.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

probably to lower costs.

I personally prefer the Manix to the military models, but I've noticed that the U.S. FRN isn't as grippy as the japanese FRN
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Seems to me that the Manix LW has turned into the de facto "folding Mule" that has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. I think it's a great platform for getting interesting steels to the market in a relatively low cost knife.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It might be easier and less expensive or less time consuming to release different steels in that platform than the Para 2. I could be completely wrong though. They do seem to be making an effort to keep costs down by not using carbon fiber, and Ti yet. I am all for that now I'm on a fixed income/retired. I can no longer do $200 on up knives unless I sell or trade . Higher medical insurance and deductibles has eaten through what used to be extra income every month over a two year span. I contrast that to when I could buy and carry $1100 Customs in Rex 20 working 2 or 3 jobs as needed 5-10 years ago. Having less costly models side by side with higher end models like the Nirvana make a lot of sense to me. I'd expect the model you like to come later if things work out well and demand stays high. OTOH we just saw a magnificent model in 10V and Ti go on clearance which is something I never foresaw happening in my wildest fantasies. I predicted they would quickly sell every one they had leaving hundreds of people wishing for another run back before the release of those models. :o
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

tripscheck'em wrote:probably to lower costs.

I personally prefer the Manix to the military models, but I've noticed that the U.S. FRN isn't as grippy as the japanese FRN
The lw Manix is not frn it is frcp :)

I think the reason they are releasing Maxamet in the lw models is down to cost. Maxamet is an expensive steel, if you put it in the Military and Pm2 format you're looking at knives in the $200 region. By using the steel in the lw mdels they become "more" affordable and more people will be able to try the steel.

Just remember that prior to the Spyderco mule the only other production knife in Maxamet was the LE ZT 0777 which retailed at over $800 if I remember correctly, so not many people got to try it and most probably never used it.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Because putting super steels in affordable lightweight packages designed to be users is something that Spyderco does that sets them apart from the competition. They offer the most affordable knives in S110V and ZDP in the industry and now they gonna offer Maxamet in a knife for $160. While that may seem like a lot for a frn/frcp knife it is still way cheaper than any other knife offered in a steel like that. Even if another company decides to bring Maxamet to market they probably won't be able to do it for that price.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Think of the Mule series... All about giving the regular joe an opportunity to try out different steels that are offered elsewhere for serious coin or not at all. They have to keep their risk low in offering these expensive hard to work with steels. Like everyone has said if they initially offered it in PM2 it would be very expensive. Offering it first in the mule, lw manix2, and lw n5 gives more people more opportunities to use it and give feedback on the performance then they will decide to possibly use it in more models.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Donut

Post by Donut »

I wonder if it has to do with the Manix only needing a sheet of 3mm thick steel versus the Paramilitary or Military needing a 4mm thick sheet of steel.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I think it's pure cost saving for the customers, to get these expensive steels into peoples hands at more affordable prices.

The more of these knives they sell the more real feedback they get because there will be more people actually using them percentage wise for their normal EDC tasks.

If the Manix 2 LW in MAXAMET is ~ $160 think about how much a Para 2 or Military would be cost wise. ;)
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Think of the Mule series... All about giving the regular joe an opportunity to try out different steels that are offered elsewhere for serious coin or not at all. They have to keep their risk low in offering these expensive hard to work with steels. Like everyone has said if they initially offered it in PM2 it would be very expensive. Offering it first in the mule, lw manix2, and lw n5 gives more people more opportunities to use it and give feedback on the performance then they will decide to possibly use it in more models.
I think you're spot on. I for one am appreciative of Spyderco's approach. While I love the idea of this blade steel in an expensive package, I would most likely just drool at pictures rather than get one, much like I have done since the K2 was first released. Now that the K2 was discontinued and the price slashed, I have one inbound. At the expected price point for these upcoming models, LW Native5 and LW Manix 2, I only have to decide which one I want more. If I really like the steel, I'll save up for a premium model later if and when one is released.

Grizz
swigert

Post by swigert »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:probably to lower costs.

The lw Manix is not frn it is frcp :)

I think the reason they are releasing Maxamet in the lw models is down to cost. Maxamet is an expensive steel, if you put it in the Military and Pm2 format you're looking at knives in the $200 region. By using the steel in the lw mdels they become "more" affordable and more people will be able to try the steel.

Just remember that prior to the Spyderco mule the only other production knife in Maxamet was the LE ZT 0777 which retailed at over $800 if I remember correctly, so not many people got to try it and most probably never used it.

Looking around I think it was the limited run of ZT 0888. 250 were made. 1/2 in M390 the other half in Maxamet. Doesn't look to me like an extremely user friendly blade shape. There's a chance no one uses it hard to test the steel.

That's why we need this steel in this model. Many of us will snag 2. That way we can use the heck out of one of them and keep the other nice. I'll prob be getting an extra to pull apart and throw into custom scales. But I do love the gray. I've been hoping for gray frn/frcp for years.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Its the folding "mule" that people have been looking for. Good ergonomics, low cost chassis for a high end steel. Same concept as how the corvette started.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

swigert wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:The lw Manix is not frn it is frcp :)

Looking around I think it was the limited run of ZT 0888. 250 were made. 1/2 in M390 the other half in Maxamet. Doesn't look to me like an extremely user friendly blade shape. There's a chance no one uses it hard to test the steel.

That's why we need this steel in this model. Many of us will snag 2. That way we can use the heck out of one of them and keep the other nice. I'll prob be getting an extra to pull apart and throw into custom scales. But I do love the gray. I've been hoping for gray frn/frcp for years.
Agree with all of this. It's easy to say you'd definitely prefer it in another platform but it's quite another to put your money where your mouth is when it comes to pulling the trigger on a $210 PM2.

With regard to the ZT, when the mule came out I did a quick search to see what other maxamet knives might be out there, and came upon this sold ebay listing where one of those went for $2,250. To put that into perspective, you could have bought a mule for each finger and toe, and still had enough for a roll of duct tape to give yourself maxamet claws. As such, I think we can remove the quotes from "more" affordable, as spyderco has certainly made this very rare steel quite affordable.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

PM2 would cost quite a bit more with Maxamet. When you're in the $200 price range, it limits how many purchase and can buy the product
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, it is probably the cost. If the PM2 used FRCP or FRN and already had the mould set up, then perhaps that would be a game changer. Still, all in all, I am very interested in the knife because of the steel.

However, a Manbug in this steel would be a no-brainer for me. I would have to have two.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

One of the awesome things about getting to talk with people at a knife show (last weekend) is sometimes you hear cool news from people who really know what's coming. :D I wasn't told to keep this a secret, but I'm also not sure if I was told this in confidence or not so I'm going to remain a little vague out of respect for the nice person that shared with me... A person who shall remain nameless :cool: told me there is not just 1 Maxamet folder in the pipeline. I don't want to say, who, or spoil any surprises with how many, or which ones...but there are plans for more than just 1 folder in Maxamet. And I'm excited to get all of them!! :D You guys really need to join me at the show next time :D :D .
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Xplorer wrote:One of the awesome things about getting to talk with people at a knife show (last weekend) is sometimes you hear cool news from people who really know what's coming. :D I wasn't told to keep this a secret, but I'm also not sure if I was told this in confidence or not so I'm going to remain a little vague out of respect for the nice person that shared with me... A person who shall remain nameless :cool: told me there is not just 1 Maxamet folder in the pipeline. I don't want to say, who, or spoil any surprises with how many, or which ones...but there are plans for more than just 1 folder in Maxamet. And I'm excited to get all of them!! :D You guys really need to join me at the show next time :D :D .
It's already been said in the Byte article that there would be more than one knife in Maxamet. The Manix 2 LW (shipping Sept) & the Native 5 LW (by end of year). I assume you're saying that there will be more models offered? I kind of figured there would be depending on how the first two releases do.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Yes...indeed more than 2. But, I'm uneasy about expanding on that at this point. ;) I'll just say Spyderco knows how to take care of us and help their sales. As we on this forum see quite often, they're definitely paying attention to what we like. :D
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know I'm gonna sound like a hater here, but not every new steel/sprint has to come in the form of a Para 2. If that were the only option, there would be a lot of steels I would never try out. Believe it or not, not everyone is in love with the Para 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David