4V mule team review

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Dickson

4V mule team review

Post by Dickson »

My very first post here from the UK, after lurking. No pics as all Mules have the same template.

l chose 4V because l had never tried a non stainless tool steel and it seemed to offer a unique combination of high toughness an wear resistance and l thought this would be great for a fixed blade. l've only tried the likes of VG-10 and n690Co, which l love for the ease of sharpening and overall performance. l tend to stay away from the likes of ZDP-189 due to difficulty to sharpen. l'd love to try H1 too as l read that this can get it's edge back just from honing or stropping a few times. l'd rather touch up and edge everyday than wrestle with it once every week or so.

l love the blade shape and the nice belly it has with the upsweep neat the tip. l love how the blade is relatively broad and comes to gradual thin edge which i'm sure helps with the toughness

l'm not sure what the heat treat was but l've found the edge retention to be far greater than the likes of VG-10 and it is still very tough. lt's a lot easier to sharpen than l assumed and it takes an aggressive and very very sharp edge. l've put a psuedo-convex on the edge by slightly grinding down the shoulder where the flat grind and the edge grinds meet, then place it on soft leather and drag the leather away from the edge until it's polished.

l'm most impressed with the corrosion resistance for a non stainless steel. l assumed it would corrode like a super blue or a 52100, but it's barely even strained. l really hope the guys at Spyderco use this steel in the future or at least the European analogue (Vanadis 4E)

Has anyone else had a similar experience than l have?

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Dickson on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SG89

Re: 4V mule team review

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for the review. What tasks did you use this mule for?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the review.

I think 4V should be getting more attention. It lacks corrosion resistance but balances edge retention and toughness very well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Dickson

Post by Dickson »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Thanks for the review. What tasks did you use this mule for?
l used it for everything, from cutting food, using it to help wall papering (the edge came in contact with hard plaster often) and making feather sticks for waste wood fires. No chipping - seems very tough.
Last edited by Dickson on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dickson

Post by Dickson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Welcome to the forum and thanks for the review.

I think 4V should be getting more attention. It lacks corrosion resistance but balances edge retention and toughness very well.

Thank you.

l greatly overestimated how much it would corrode. My axe will corrode very fast on me but this has barely even stained yet after a few months use. Only on the inside of the rivet holes has the steel darkened. l'm totally won over by it.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum Dickson, nice review, have you put handle scales on your MT?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for the detailed review, Dickson. I too would love to see Spyderco offer more models in 4V. Welcome aboard!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Dickson

Post by Dickson »

SpyderNut wrote:Thank you for the detailed review, Dickson. I too would love to see Spyderco offer more models in 4V. Welcome aboard!
:)

l was trying to get some scales for it without the 30 dollar international shipping. That was a sore one. They'd be more costly that the blade itself then. So l've just used it right now without scale. l have sourced some now. Even with a few months a sweaty handed, frequent use, only the onside of the holes are stained slightly (probs from a collection of sweat)...this has impressed me greatly and l live in a place that is wetter than anywhere in continental America. l've heard of some steels staining straight away. Does 52100 do this? What is your experience with 52000? Thanks
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

52100 patinas really fast, my sprint Military started almost immediately, but I like me some color, seems to be some really great steel, fairly easy to sharpen and gets wicked sharp.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Dickson wrote:l was trying to get some scales for it without the
Have you tried a cord wrap? That is functional and very inexpensive.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I've been using mine in the kitchen mostly and find it very nice. No staining yet. And it has cut lemons, limes, tomatoes, etc.
I'm not sure a chord wrap would be good on non-stainless as it might hold moisture against the steel. Anyone have input on this?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I believe someone else reported getting corrosion inside of their scales with the 4V mule, it's more prone to corrosion than 3V but 52100 is likely far worse. As an EDC steel I love 52100, as a part time user, may not be worth the hassle.
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

I've had my 4v mule in use since it came out, used almost everyday in the kitchen. It has stained some but zero rust. I will have to take the scales off to see how it looks. I love it, it does get impressively sharp with good cutting aggression but I think Maxamet is my new favorite mule.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Welcome to the forum Dickson! :D

I've been using my 4V Mule for a while now. I take it on day hikes, camping trips and wilderness adventures in various climates and conditions. I am extremely pleased with what I've experienced so far. In fact, I love it! :D

I don't do specific tests with knives very often and I really appreciate those who do. I do take them into the wilderness and use them if and when they're needed. My un-scientific gut feeling is, my 4V Mule stays sharp about as long as my S35VN, or CTS-XHP type stainless blades do. Your results may vary :) . I've read that it's also a very tough steel but I haven't done anything any more abusive than processing small kindling with it. Although I have not experienced any chipping issues, I'm sure I also have not pushed the limits in that regard. The thing that really surprised me is just how well it withstands corrosion. I've taken it beach camping, snow camping, desert river camping and after months I still have no real stains to speak of. I'm careful with blades and I wipe them down after every use, every time. But, I don't shy away from water or from using my knives for whatever the adventure (or dinner) calls for. As a direct example that I have experienced, I can say that when used the same way in the same environments my M4 blades have a considerable amount of rust when my 4V blade has nothing.

When it was new I took my 4V Mule for an extended adventure along the rainy, foggy Lost Coast wilderness in northern California. At first I put a green micarta handle on it with copper liners and hardware. Roughly 4 hours into the beach hike along the Lost Coast the copper liners changed color dramatically. This foggy, rainy, salty environment was going to be tough on any non-stainless.

The coast here was so wet with fog and rain that you would think this was a black and white photo but it's not.

I stayed and camped and watched my copper tarnish in front of my eyes. :eek: :D

The kindling I process with it is generally about 1" diameter and smaller..

I don't know WHAT was in that water :confused: ..I didn't drink it, but my 4V Mule took a taste. :)

After that trip I decided to upgrade my handle because the liners were too heavy and the scales had flaws..I went lite-weight and thin this time and took it for an over-night adventure in Utah during the Spring snow melt.

I have taken it on wilderness adventures in the Nevada desert and the lush green Columbia River Gorge area of Oregon too. Along the way I've been eating dinner with it while on the road, either for work (I travel for work) or for play.

I never oiled this blade or protected it chemically in any way. After months of subjecting it to corrosive environments and plenty of good times this it what it looks like tonight..
I'd call it "like new condition"... ;)

Looking at the other side with different light you can see a light patina forming.

There's a little pitting that you can see on the spine...but I mean..after all it went through..that's it?!

There are tougher steels. There are more wear resistant steels and there are more corrosion resistant steels. From the combination of those factors I've experienced so far, 4V has become MY fixed blade steel of choice. :D
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

It's interesting that more people haven't come out screaming the praises of 4v. Like one of the posters here suggested, it seems like one of the most balanced blade steels there is. I can't say enough good stuff about it.

I did observe after sharpening it for the first time, that it seems like it was heat treated really hard. I think given 4v's high toughness, that's what makes the mt21 such a great knife.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Thanks for the review and welcome. I haven't put mine to use yet.

I am in the unfortunate (fortunate?) situation where my fixed blades (mules) far exceed my fixed blade needs. Interesting to hear about the corrosion resistance, My K390 (most used mule) is also far more corrosion resistant that I thought it would be.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Awesome review!
Dickson

Post by Dickson »

Xplorer wrote:Welcome to the forum Dickson! :D

I've been using my 4V Mule for a while now. I take it on day hikes, camping trips and wilderness adventures in various climates and conditions. I am extremely pleased with what I've experienced so far. In fact, I love it! :D

I don't do specific tests with knives very often and I really appreciate those who do. I do take them into the wilderness and use them if and when they're needed. My un-scientific gut feeling is, my 4V Mule stays sharp about as long as my S35VN, or CTS-XHP type stainless blades do. Your results may vary :) . I've read that it's also a very tough steel but I haven't done anything any more abusive than processing small kindling with it. Although I have not experienced any chipping issues, I'm sure I also have not pushed the limits in that regard. The thing that really surprised me is just how well it withstands corrosion. I've taken it beach camping, snow camping, desert river camping and after months I still have no real stains to speak of. I'm careful with blades and I wipe them down after every use, every time. But, I don't shy away from water or from using my knives for whatever the adventure (or dinner) calls for. As a direct example that I have experienced, I can say that when used the same way in the same environments my M4 blades have a considerable amount of rust when my 4V blade has nothing.

When it was new I took my 4V Mule for an extended adventure along the rainy, foggy Lost Coast wilderness in northern California. At first I put a green micarta handle on it with copper liners and hardware. Roughly 4 hours into the beach hike along the Lost Coast the copper liners changed color dramatically. This foggy, rainy, salty environment was going to be tough on any non-stainless.

The coast here was so wet with fog and rain that you would think this was a black and white photo but it's not.

I stayed and camped and watched my copper tarnish in front of my eyes. :eek: :D

The kindling I process with it is generally about 1" diameter and smaller..

I don't know WHAT was in that water :confused: ..I didn't drink it, but my 4V Mule took a taste. :)

After that trip I decided to upgrade my handle because the liners were too heavy and the scales had flaws..I went lite-weight and thin this time and took it for an over-night adventure in Utah during the Spring snow melt.

I have taken it on wilderness adventures in the Nevada desert and the lush green Columbia River Gorge area of Oregon too. Along the way I've been eating dinner with it while on the road, either for work (I travel for work) or for play.

I never oiled this blade or protected it chemically in any way. After months of subjecting it to corrosive environments and plenty of good times this it what it looks like tonight..
I'd call it "like new condition"... ;)

Looking at the other side with different light you can see a light patina forming.

There's a little pitting that you can see on the spine...but I mean..after all it went through..that's it?!

There are tougher steels. There are more wear resistant steels and there are more corrosion resistant steels. From the combination of those factors I've experienced so far, 4V has become MY fixed blade steel of choice. :D
Great pics and write up, mate. :)

l agree with you assessment. l was kind of looking forward a bright blue patina. Nothing! This even more impressive taking into account the pretty deep grind lines on the blade, where grime can get. l've cut some pretty acidic things too.

When l was grinding the shoulder down to put the psuedo-convex on it, l struck the already sharp edge with the stone. l thought it would have chipped for sure...nothing. Just a dulled spot. Very impressed.

l wonder if it's logistics or cost that is preventing Sal from using it right now. l read that the European version - Vanadis4E - is even cleaner, being a newer PM procedure.
Dickson

Post by Dickson »

Ryno wrote:It's interesting that more people haven't come out screaming the praises of 4v. Like one of the posters here suggested, it seems like one of the most balanced blade steels there is. I can't say enough good stuff about it.

I did observe after sharpening it for the first time, that it seems like it was heat treated really hard. I think given 4v's high toughness, that's what makes the mt21 such a great knife.
l noticed this too. lt ''felt'' hard during sharpening. May be because l'm used to softer alloys.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

great reviews and pics. I have a few 4v blades (mule, big chris, darrin sanders) and love it. I'd love a mili in 4v!!