Sal, what are the chances for a AEB-L spydie ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Some1

Re: Sal, what are the chances for a AEB-L spydie ?

Post by Some1 »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 pm
Some1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:19 pm

If they use the same format as the other Mule Teams, it wouldn't get the chance to show the features that make it good. There's no point in making a big steel slab to showcase the strengths of a steel are precisely on the other end of the spectrum.

That would be an apples to apples comparison if they made a Mule Team out of it. I do still have my BD-1 Mule Team here and some others to run it against and compare to.

That said I have tested AEB-L ground thin, like .006" behind the edge in a custom knife.

Yeah it did do better than some production blades that were 3X to 5X thicker behind the edge. That's not a realistic comparison however by any means.

But bring it to an back to apples to apples in like customs that were .006" behind the edge and we are right back to were we were for a more realistic comparison. That comparison was done by me and others.
Someone else said it but it's true. You are not some steel guru. You're just a guy that's played with some steels and found what you like best, generally whatever Phil Wilson told you to like. You think you finding what works best for you makes you better than others who've found what works best for them? You're just a man, like anyone else. Give it a rest. Even your own recommendations for an all around knife steel are different that what you say is best.

Some steels?

I tested just about all of them over the years at one point or another.

That said the steel should match the intended use of the knife so that will change depending on the knife and intended use.

We have choices.
Yeah, we do. And some people's decisions are different than yours. Your opinion is nothing more than an opinion. Some people want AEBL? FINE. An actual metallurgist says it is good depending on some variables? Who are you to say he's wrong? A lot of knife nuts say it sounds interesting and they'd like to try it if done a certain way? Who are you to think you know better than them about what they should or shouldn't want to try? This thread makes it blatantly clear you have a very overinflated sense of self worth. You are no better than anyone else in this thread, and i guarantee you know less about this topic than Larrin. So please, you made your OPINION clear already, and several have said it means nothing to them. Accept that and move on.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Some1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:57 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 pm
Some1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:

That would be an apples to apples comparison if they made a Mule Team out of it. I do still have my BD-1 Mule Team here and some others to run it against and compare to.

That said I have tested AEB-L ground thin, like .006" behind the edge in a custom knife.

Yeah it did do better than some production blades that were 3X to 5X thicker behind the edge. That's not a realistic comparison however by any means.

But bring it to an back to apples to apples in like customs that were .006" behind the edge and we are right back to were we were for a more realistic comparison. That comparison was done by me and others.
Someone else said it but it's true. You are not some steel guru. You're just a guy that's played with some steels and found what you like best, generally whatever Phil Wilson told you to like. You think you finding what works best for you makes you better than others who've found what works best for them? You're just a man, like anyone else. Give it a rest. Even your own recommendations for an all around knife steel are different that what you say is best.

Some steels?

I tested just about all of them over the years at one point or another.

That said the steel should match the intended use of the knife so that will change depending on the knife and intended use.

We have choices.
Yeah, we do. And some people's decisions are different than yours. Your opinion is nothing more than an opinion. Some people want AEBL? FINE. An actual metallurgist says it is good depending on some variables? Who are you to say he's wrong? A lot of knife nuts say it sounds interesting and they'd like to try it if done a certain way? Who are you to think you know better than them about what they should or shouldn't want to try? This thread makes it blatantly clear you have a very overinflated sense of self worth. You are no better than anyone else in this thread, and i guarantee you know less about this topic than Larrin. So please, you made your OPINION clear already, and several have said it means nothing to them. Accept that and move on.

Actually no.

AEB-L has never been used in a production blade, Kershew used 13C26 for a short time.

Bottom line here is the alloy content just isn't there no matter how it's heat treated.

That's something you can't get around, that will not change.

All I did was outline what AEB-L is, what it was developed for and how it performs.

Then I said Spyderco should make a Mule Team in it so people can see what it actually is on a broader scale since it's NOT USED in production blades.

This thread topic has come up a number of times over the years and I have stated the same thing every time, and have seen the same graphics and pictures every time it comes up. The same pictures and graphics that I read in the very same book some others have read. One of the times the academics doesn't match real world performance. Looks great on paper and in the pictures, looks like a metallurgist dream, but the performance is not good when compared to the other steels. I believe that is were the misconceptions seem to come in about AEB-L. Yes, I read the same book, I still have it someplace in PDF format.

Very redundant at this point. ;)

I do hope Spyderco decides to make a Mule Team.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Ankerson wrote:

But bring it to an back to apples to apples in like customs that were .006" behind the edge and we are right back to were we were for a more realistic comparison.That comparison was done by me and others.
But most of us have already conceded that AEB-L will do poorly when you do an apples-to-apples comparison. AEB-L was made to make very thin strips of steel that are very, very sharp. As opposed to, say, industrial bearings. So you can say "it won't be worth a dang when you make a big, thick knife out of it, just like we make with all the other steels," or you can make a different kind of knife with it. Which is, you know, the whole idea.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

dj moonbat wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:38 am
Ankerson wrote:

But bring it to an back to apples to apples in like customs that were .006" behind the edge and we are right back to were we were for a more realistic comparison.That comparison was done by me and others.
But most of us have already conceded that AEB-L will do poorly when you do an apples-to-apples comparison. AEB-L was made to make very thin strips of steel that are very, very sharp. As opposed to, say, industrial bearings. So you can say "it won't be worth a dang when you make a big, thick knife out of it, just like we make with all the other steels," or you can make a different kind of knife with it. Which is, you know, the whole idea.

Maybe a kitchen knife?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:45 am
dj moonbat wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Maybe a kitchen knife?
I think that's probably the place where the steel would do best. Henckels switched all its thin-bladed Japanese kitchen knives (Miyabi and Bob Kramer) from VG10 to 13C27 with a double heat treat. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm definitely interested.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

dj moonbat wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:59 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:45 am
dj moonbat wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Maybe a kitchen knife?
I think that's probably the place where the steel would do best. Henckels switched all its thin-bladed Japanese kitchen knives (Miyabi and Bob Kramer) from VG10 to 13C27 with a double heat treat. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm definitely interested.

I agree with that 100%.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A Mule in AEB-L would be great.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'd like to see something in one of the .6-.7 carbon stainless steels: one of the Sandviks, BU AEB-L, CTS BDZ1. Doesn't really matter to me which, but it would only really interest me at high hardness and excellent microstructure, 0.01" or less behind the edge.
:spyder:
me2

Post by me2 »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Not enough carbon to create any Chromium Carbides.
I'm still trying to figure out where this got started. Out persists in spite of any evidence tho the contrary. The AEB-L, 12C27, 13C26 family of steels are still one of my favorites. I'd be on an AEB-L mule like white on rice in a snowstorm.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Evidence? Why would you want that? Aren't vague claims and faulty logic enough for you? Stop wanting this thing you want because you've clearly been brainwashed to want it! Because, you know, that immense marketing engine behind low carbide steels...
Stuart Ackerman

I know that Sal will need convincing that AEB-L is what some folk claim it is.
A raft load of coin will need to be spent on the project, whether it is for straight or bendy knives.

The "super steels" have made folk discard the usefullness of the older steels, in their own minds, at least.
The bigger, better, faster, more crowd.

I have had limited use of AEB-L, and I am convinced that it is will do everything I want in a knife, for the things that I need a knife for.
It is not the bestest of all, not the toughest of all, but if I was limited to using and owning all sorts of knives that were made of just one steel, I would be more than happy with AEB-L.

I am no one of consequence, and it is merely my opinion, but it is based on what I know of the capabilities of AEB-L.
Last edited by Stuart Ackerman on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

I'd rather make a knife than a Mule. Mules are slowing down. If you could pick just one knife, what would it be?

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Sal, Hi..

The cheapest one you can make for the profit.
A FFG Delica would be great...
Last edited by Stuart Ackerman on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

An Urban?

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Urban would be great.
Stuart Ackerman

Being a Slippie, it would be able to be distributed to more users around the world.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd buy one. :)
Stuart Ackerman

A Lightweight Urban would fit the bill.
Maybe a different scale colour if not too cost prohibitive, Sal.
citori

Post by citori »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:03 pm
A FFG Delica would be great...
This
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

As to an AEB-L Urban I'd buy several. Would make great gifts and great beater utility and travel knife.
Thanks for considering it Sal!