Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kudzu

Re: Rhino

Post by Kudzu »

I certainly hope the price doesn't jump, and BD-1 is just fine with me. I'll be buying two, as I'm planning to give one to my surrogate nephew as his First Real Knife. The compression lock keeps inexperienced fingers nicely out of the blade path …
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Part of me wants BD1 to keep cost down but part of me wants CTS-XHP for performance...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Kudzu wrote:I certainly hope the price doesn't jump, and BD-1 is just fine with me. I'll be buying two, as I'm planning to give one to my surrogate nephew as his First Real Knife. The compression lock keeps inexperienced fingers nicely out of the blade path …
I don't mind if the price goes up at all. I was very happy to hear that this knife was going to be made in the Taichung facility. It's such a great design, it deserves the Taichung treatment, even if that means more money.

And yes, I'm also hoping it gets a fancier steel as well!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

This is good news.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spydersense wrote:Don't give up. We were informed at the Oregon Knife Show that production was moved to the Taichung factory. The Rhino will be better quality and steel now.
Interesting news. I guess those of us who pre-ordered are going to out of luck. No way our purchase price will be honored if there is a price increase.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am very glad to hear about moving Rhino to Taichung. This is like getting spring before production. Can you imagine how real sprint will look like?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Greetings All,

I just wanted to share a few thoughts. Although I cannot speak officially for Spyderco, I too was informed that production will be moved to Taichung for the Rhino (as Spydersense mentioned). When last I spoke with Spyderco, they mentioned something about a possible change in the steel type as well. But like you, I am hoping we can hear an official confirmation on all of this soon.

I want to thank each of you personally for your continued patience and interest. I realize it has been a lengthy wait, but please know that Spyderco is working diligently to bring the "new" Rhino to fruition as soon as possible.

Sal, if you are reading this, I would greatly appreciate any updates you can provide.

All the best,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Will be my first Taichung knife. You guys have really built this factory up, let's see if it lives up to the hype!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Michael, I wish I could provide more information than Matt has regarding the Rhino's production being moved to Taichung. I didn't catch news of that at the OKCA show myself or I would have pressed Sal and Eric for some. I will say though that I expect your (incredible!) patience will undoubtedly be rewarded with a better version of your knife that is closer to your original design specs and wishes.

Personally, and not to rub anyone the wrong way, I was a bit disappointed to hear it was originally only going to be offered in BD1 as I might have passed on it. Hearing it's now due out of Taichung with a better steel is music to my ears. In the long run, I'm sure we all know Sal, Eric and company will do you right with this model and give us something that will be well worth waiting for! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sildani wrote:Will be my first Taichung knife. You guys have really built this factory up, let's see if it lives up to the hype!
I hope you will like it, Sildani. :) Please let me know your thoughts (after it comes in, of course) and after you've had a chance you to use it.

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Hi Michael, I wish I could provide more information than Matt has regarding the Rhino's production being moved to Taichung. I didn't catch news of that at the OKCA show myself or I would have pressed Sal and Eric for some. I will say though that I expect your (incredible!) patience will undoubtedly be rewarded with a better version of your knife that is closer to your original design specs and wishes.

Personally, and not to rub anyone the wrong way, I was a bit disappointed to hear it was originally only going to be offered in BD1 as I might have passed on it. Hearing it's now due out of Taichung with a better steel is music to my ears. In the long run, I'm sure we all know Sal, Eric and company will do you right with this model and give us something that will be well worth waiting for! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Dear Radioactive,
Thank you sir, for the information and also for the encouragement. I appreciate that. I too am still very excited--and I can't wait to see the final version. :)

I am hopeful that Sal will weigh in with an update for us.

Thanks again, guys.

-Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: Personally, and not to rub anyone the wrong way, I was a bit disappointed to hear it was originally only going to be offered in BD1 as I might have passed on it. Hearing it's now due out of Taichung with a better steel is music to my ears.
It seemed a lot of people felt that way. I'm sure the move to Taichung and the new steel will bring many more into the fold of this amazing design. I was sold on the sub $100 for a comp lock spydie. I'm sure the increase in price will be a concern for most, myself included, but with it being a Taichung knife, the ceiling for what I'd pay has also dramatically risen. :D

Michael, as LC said, the Rhino is getting the treatment it deserves, congrats!
Stay Golden :spyder:
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

The price and the steel were the two biggest draws to this knife personally. I love BD1. If both of these change then I'm probably going to pass. Especially considering all this wait for something different than what I thought was coming.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Do we know if this one will have bronze washers or teflon? Such a palpable difference between, say, a nice PM2 example and the Junior.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hgwxx7 wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote: Personally, and not to rub anyone the wrong way, I was a bit disappointed to hear it was originally only going to be offered in BD1 as I might have passed on it. Hearing it's now due out of Taichung with a better steel is music to my ears.
It seemed a lot of people felt that way. I'm sure the move to Taichung and the new steel will bring many more into the fold of this amazing design. I was sold on the sub $100 for a comp lock spydie. I'm sure the increase in price will be a concern for most, myself included, but with it being a Taichung knife, the ceiling for what I'd pay has also dramatically risen. :D

Michael, as LC said, the Rhino is getting the treatment it deserves, congrats!
I really appreciate the kind words, Hgwxx7. Thank you! :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

BDNX wrote:The price and the steel were the two biggest draws to this knife personally. I love BD1. If both of these change then I'm probably going to pass. Especially considering all this wait for something different than what I thought was coming.
I can certainly understand where you're coming from. I can honestly say, however, that some pretty exciting things are in process right now for the Rhino. I hope you might take another look when the time comes for the release. :)

Molle Ninja wrote:Do we know if this one will have bronze washers or teflon? Such a palpable difference between, say, a nice PM2 example and the Junior.
That is a good question. I am not for certain, but I would guess it will have bronze washers.

BDNX

Post by BDNX »

SpyderNut wrote:
BDNX wrote:The price and the steel were the two biggest draws to this knife personally. I love BD1. If both of these change then I'm probably going to pass. Especially considering all this wait for something different than what I thought was coming.
I can certainly understand where you're coming from. I can honestly say, however, that some pretty exciting things are in process right now for the Rhino. I hope you might take another look when the time comes for the release. :)

Molle Ninja wrote:Do we know if this one will have bronze washers or teflon? Such a palpable difference between, say, a nice PM2 example and the Junior.
That is a good question. I am not for certain, but I would guess it will have bronze washers.

You understand it would be different if we were already expecting the newer version all this time. However we were led to believe that it would be the previous. It's not so much the Rhino I'm passing on, it's being misled as to what was actually coming out.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah I gotta agree, one of the things that had me all in on this knife was the price. If it goes up a bunch, I may have to wait. Not pass, but at least wait. I was also oddly excited to add some new letters to my collection cuz while I have Gin-1, I don't have BD1. So hopefully they find a way to keep the price low, and/or give me a new steel. If not, well, there's always Christmas. :)
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

BDNX wrote: You understand it would be different if we were already expecting the newer version all this time. However we were led to believe that it would be the previous. It's not so much the Rhino I'm passing on, it's being misled as to what was actually coming out.
Here's the thing, it's not like this was Spyderco's plan all along. I believe we are first hearing about this because it is first happening now.

While Spyderco haven't been the most communicative regarding this knife and the delays, my understanding has been they had production models ready to go, but during the final QC check, Golden was unhappy with the final product. While the Rhino was being made in Taiwan, it was not being made at the Taichung factory. I would much rather pay more for a quality product than have something that is subpar in quality and performance.

This seems like a win-win for everyone. While sticking to your principles is admirable, and I dislike being out of loop as much as the next guy, the reasons for buying this knife still resonate with me: an awesome design from one of our own picked up by Spyderco. That it's being built at a factory with a tremendous reputation and with exotic steel only add to that. And since the design and the essence of the knife remain unchanged, it seems passing on it would only be doing yourself a disservice. Hope I'm not crossing any lines and I don't mean any disrespect, that's just my $0.02.
Stay Golden :spyder:
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Hgwxx7 wrote:
BDNX wrote: You understand it would be different if we were already expecting the newer version all this time. However we were led to believe that it would be the previous. It's not so much the Rhino I'm passing on, it's being misled as to what was actually coming out.
Here's the thing, it's not like this was Spyderco's plan all along. I believe we are first hearing about this because it is first happening now.

While Spyderco haven't been the most communicative regarding this knife and the delays, my understanding has been they had production models ready to go, but during the final QC check, Golden was unhappy with the final product. While the Rhino was being made in Taiwan, it was not being made at the Taichung factory. I would much rather pay more for a quality product than have something that is subpar in quality and performance.

This seems like a win-win for everyone. While sticking to your principles is admirable, and I dislike being out of loop as much as the next guy, the reasons for buying this knife still resonate with me: an awesome design from one of our own picked up by Spyderco. That it's being built at a factory with a tremendous reputation and with exotic steel only add to that. And since the design and the essence of the knife remain unchanged, it seems passing on it would only be doing yourself a disservice. Hope I'm not crossing any lines and I don't mean any disrespect, that's just my $0.02.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing that it's being upgraded. Just wish it was supposed to be that this whole time.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sometimes in our life unexpected things happen. Original contractor promised to deliver, but fail. I can see only two options here. Either to cancel production, which unfortunately happened in the past or move to another supplier. I am really happy that Spyderco choose second option. We certainly will get better quality. As for steel and price, so far we heard only speculations and nothing from Spyderco. So nobody needs to jump to any conclusions. Let wait to hear from Spyderco. So far I am happy that project still on.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian