Is now the time for a plain edge Rescue sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Is now the time for a plain edge Rescue sprint?

Post by steelcity16 »

Id be down for an Atlantic Salt in H1 PE and a Rescue Salt in H1 PE
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

FFG and VG-10, and then it’ll be worth it - 79mm.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Flowchartsman

Post by Flowchartsman »

JD Spydo wrote: I do have a question to ask however>> What if any advantages would a sheepsfoot blade have in PE? Because it's been my experience that these sheepsfoot blades just outright perform better in SE. I'm even carrying my old, ATS-55 era stainless RESCUE on me as we speak ( in SE of course ;) ) but if there are advantages to a PE sheepsfoot blade I would sure like to know about them.
Sharpening and maintenance for me. It is vastly easier for me to maintain and sharpen a straight edge than it is one with a belly. So many sharpening systems have such complicated processes and engineering, just to maintain a constant angle across the length of the blade. Even the vaunted sharpmaker was difficult for me to use when getting towards the tip of the blade. It always seemed to slide off more quickly and the belly was never, ever as sharp as the flat. With a straight edge, all you need is a flat stone.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Flowchartsman wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:45 am
JD Spydo wrote: I do have a question to ask however>> What if any advantages would a sheepsfoot blade have in PE? Because it's been my experience that these sheepsfoot blades just outright perform better in SE. I'm even carrying my old, ATS-55 era stainless RESCUE on me as we speak ( in SE of course ;) ) but if there are advantages to a PE sheepsfoot blade I would sure like to know about them.
Sharpening and maintenance for me. It is vastly easier for me to maintain and sharpen a straight edge than it is one with a belly. So many sharpening systems have such complicated processes and engineering, just to maintain a constant angle across the length of the blade. Even the vaunted sharpmaker was difficult for me to use when getting towards the tip of the blade. It always seemed to slide off more quickly and the belly was never, ever as sharp as the flat. With a straight edge, all you need is a flat stone.
OK I can buy that and I see where you're coming from>> but please do understand that even though Spyderedges and/or serrated edge patterns in general are a bit more difficult to learn to sharpen please don't let that stop you. Because all the way back in the late 90s, early 2000s I pretty much taught myself how to sharpen serrated edges. Spyderco's 204 Sharpmaker got me on the right path because I got one of the very first units to come out of the factory and I studied that video of Sal's for about 2 to 3 hours before I even attempted my first SE blade.

It is sort of tricky to get the hang of it but on the other hand it's not nuclear physics or brain surgery either. Anyone with at least a double digit I.Q. can learn it well. I ultimately ended up liking the Spyderco 701 Profiles for sharpening Spyderedges better but I still use the Sharpmaker from time to time. And not all serration patterns sharpen the same way either>> so for that reason it's probably good to stick to one type of serrations like the ones Spyderco offers ( Spyderedges) and compared to several other patterns they are by far one of the easier serrations to sharpen.

To me Sheepsfoot blades, Hawkbill blades & Reverse S blades do vastly better at cutting jobs in SE than they do in PE. Just my results from using them.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Flowchartsman wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:51 pm
Mini2white wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:18 am
I am all for a rescue knife sprint run.

This is the only plain edge I have so far.

What is that, and where do I get one?
That is the Atlantic salt. Current models are only in serrated. If you want one, you need to hunt the market. I picked this up off a collector.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I like the Rescue very much, but the one I like is the older first generation version, with the FRN and no choil and shaped like the Mariner. I like the longer blade so I wouldn't go for a sprint of those second generation ones. I want a sprint of the original Mariner-shaped Rescue with a flat-ground blade, screw-together construction instead of pinned, and a clip that's not made of plastic. Plainedged and serrated versions please, and either a gray FRN handle with a satin blade or a black handle with a DLC blade. Steel I'd not be picky about -- just something stainless, but more wear resistant than the G-2 they used on the originals.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Embry, I would be interested in a sprint, but I would really prefer it in the 2nd gen shape, FFG, with the thumb notch (as speedholes said below), and perhaps LC200N.
SpeedHoles wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:11 am
I am pretty well set for now, with a PE and a CE, but I'd never say no to a Sprint Rescue! :cool: Especially in HAP40.
Bring back thumb notch, please.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*