Spyderco Ouroboros

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Re: Spyderco Ouroboros

Post by swigert »

great pics Darby, can't wait to get this one....
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks Swigert. Here are a couple more for your viewing pleasure!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Slick combo!

How are you liking the Ouroboros? I really enjoy mine. Use it just as I would my beloved Caly.
Still gotta fix my **** clip though, shoot... more stuff to do after work today...
Going back to Caly.
bearfacedkiller

Ha, more knives equals more maintenance. I pulled my Cruwear Military from my pocket the other day and noticed a scale screw was missing. No big deal, I left a message with W&R.

The Ouroboros is a unique animal. I am so far loving it but it has it's quirks too. It comes across a little odd at first and as you use it more and more you can tell that it is an intelligent design. I think the week I carry it (it is a passaround knife) will not even be enough to truly appreciate the design. Like many Spydies it's strengths shine through use. Man, is it a slicey beast.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

:cool:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Just wanna get in on the action...
Gratuitous picture post:
entwine.jpeg
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
mb1

Post by mb1 »

You'd never know all that blade width is tucked away in this elegant design. Very tidy and slim in the pocket. Honestly, the ergos don't work for me on this one, but I appreciate the design creativity.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

mb1 wrote:You'd never know all that blade width is tucked away in this elegant design. Very tidy and slim in the pocket. Honestly, the ergos don't work for me on this one, but I appreciate the design creativity.

Yeah, some people who I have let use my Ouroboros have a hard time getting used to it immediately. But I think it grows on many users through use, and a little bit of adapting.
I know after using mine for days in a row, then going back to another old favorite more traditional design, I have to undo my muscle memory to go back to another knives operation and grip.
Going back to Caly.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

paulwa wrote:They mainly give a different feel to opening and closing the knife, the Teflon may be a bit more prone to cracking, but their extra compliance can be a bit more forgiving when tuning the action. I like the bronze for "flickability", if that's your deployment means of choice.
For what it's worth, with the right set of PB washers in here (my previous set was too thick), this knife has a dreamy action. All the best of a well-adjusted PM2, but with the Ouroboros' size and geometry. Thanks, Paul, for the help, and here's hoping some CQI brings this joy to future Ouroboros owners. Absolutely brings the knife into a different class.

Also, still a great knife for carry. Very few knives I own are this compact in the pocket. Stellar, stellar design.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

mb1 wrote:You'd never know all that blade width is tucked away in this elegant design. Very tidy and slim in the pocket. Honestly, the ergos don't work for me on this one, but I appreciate the design creativity.
Sorry she didn't work out for you, but thanks for giving it a spin.
Also, if you wouldn't mind, it may help folks if you add this to the review thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72094
I'd also appreciate it if you could give a little more detail on the ergo issues, so I can lean from it, as well as potential buyers.
Plus, even if you don't have the knife, the beaded key rings are still pretty cool.

And Nick, thanks for the kind words, and glad to here the mod is working for you.

- Paul
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received the pass-around knife today. At this point all I can say is :D ! I'll be sure to post my thoughts in the review thread as soon as I get the chance to test drive it a bit more.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

A few photos of mine over the last week or so. I really do love this knife. The ergos for my hand very well and it's probably one of the best looking Spyderco's over ever seen.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Merry Christmas all!

If anyone happened to score an Ouroboros for a gift, or you're using one for unwrapping duty, I'd love to see a pic.

Happy Holidays,
- Paul
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Merry Christmas, Paul!

Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hi Paul,

I've had mine for a few days now but it's definitely a Christmas present. I was gonnna wait to unwrap it though. I've waited long enough to get my hands on your design.

Merry Christmas to you!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Posted this in a few spots but I thought I would put it here as well so that Paul would be sure to see it. I sure do love this knife of yours.

Any chance of an alternate blade shape someday? Wharncliffe?

@liquid_cobra
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Howdy Liquid Cobra, thanks for the awesome pics and really glad the design works for you.

As far as blade shapes go... I've put quite a few in the Ouroboros frame. It was "in development" for years, and during that time I toyed with almost every shape, but the leaf version was the only one I ever officially submitted. I ended up prototyping 6 blade shapes that I thought pretty much covered the whole gambit of profiles. You can see the other 5 below...
blades.jpeg
a wharncliffe, a hawkbill, a drop point recurve, an American tanto, and a reverse-s.

To be honest, I doubt the model is popular enough for Spyderco to pull the trigger on an alternate blade shape... but the designs are ready, in case there is enough interest to do something like a flash batch, or a forum knife (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

All the best,
- Paul
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for the info Paul! It's cool to see the other design choices. Yet another example of how you really covered all your bases and exhausted every option when designing the Ouroboros. Out of all the options the one you went with would be my preference but yeah, a wharncliffe would be nice.

Frankly I'm shocked that this knife isn't more popular than it is. I've been sharing a lot of pics of this knife on other sites and everyone loves it but the washer issue gets mentioned by multiple people everytime. "I'd buy the knife if only it had phosphor bronze washers." Sigh...

@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

paulwa wrote:Howdy Liquid Cobra, thanks for the awesome pics and really glad the design works for you.

As far as blade shapes go... I've put quite a few in the Ouroboros frame. It was "in development" for years, and during that time I toyed with almost every shape, but the leaf version was the only one I ever officially submitted. I ended up prototyping 6 blade shapes that I thought pretty much covered the whole gambit of profiles. You can see the other 5 below...
blades.jpeg
a wharncliffe, a hawkbill, a drop point recurve, an American tanto, and a reverse-s.

To be honest, I doubt the model is popular enough for Spyderco to pull the trigger on an alternate blade shape... but the designs are ready, in case there is enough interest to do something like a flash batch, or a forum knife (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

All the best,
- Paul

I really like that mellow hawkbill! Wharncliffe, too...

Thanks for posting those.
Going back to Caly.