Spyderco Ouroboros

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paulwa

Spyderco Ouroboros

Post by paulwa »

Howdy Spyderco forumities,
Just wanted to take this opportunity to formally introduce myself and start a discussion around the Ouroboros knife I designed, which looks to be nearing production. Though I’ve been a forum member for years, mostly just lurking and reading; I haven’t been overly active otherwise, only posting a handful of times. Now that there has been a more “official” reveal of the Ouroboros knife through the Shot Show videos and discussions, I figured I’d amp-up my activity level a bit and open up a discussion on the design and answer any questions about it, the drivers behind it, and what the development/collaboration process was like, assuming there’s interest. (When I visited the Spyderco facilities last year, Sal encouraged engaging the forum community as it seems folks like to pick the brains of Spyderco collaborators, so I’m going to try and fulfill Sal’s recommendation.) I also didn’t want to hijack the Shot Show video thread since there are so many cool models other than my design that were featured.

I’ll gather my thoughts on and intents for the Ouroboros design over the weekend and post what will hopefully be a coherent explanation in the coming week. But, while I’m doing that, feel free to comment on the design, either positive or negative, all input is welcome. I always find feedback helpful, especially since I am not a custom knife maker so my designs rarely see the light of day, with full-steel construction, until Spyderco completes a working prototype.

Thanks everyone, I hope you’ll find this thread engaging as well as entertaining as it grows,
- Paul
farnorthdan

Re: Spyderco Ouroboros

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome Paul, I'm very excited about the Ouroboros and look forward to hearing more about it, I'll be picking one up for sure when they drop.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Hi Paul! I'm really looking forward to the release of the Ouroboros! I believe Eric said you were from Michigan? I'm from Michigan, so that adds another reason for me to pick one up. I really wanted to see more knives with a small-medium sized blade, compression lock, and the wire clip. The only negative I can really find is that there isn't a whole lot of reinforcement around the tang area where the hole was cut out. I'll be sure to pick one up, and I hope to see more designs from you.

Matt
paladin

Post by paladin »

Hello Paul, thanks for the intro!

The Ouroboros looks like an organic ergonomic design that will fit precisely in the Spyderco lineup. I remember when a friend of ours here, TedP, first reported to us an Ouroboros sighting, and IIRC he said it was a slipit at that time, so I'm real happy it evolved into a comp lock. So first a couple questions & then some comments, if you will suffer me.

Question 1: What tasks would your design excel at?

Question 2: Liners or no on the prod. model?

Now the comments: I like the continuous arc of your design from pommel to tip. The palm swell looks comfy. And I really like the primary grind, especially around the Spyderhole area.

This will be my first 2016 model purchase...THANK YOU!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for taking the time to post here, Paul. Your knife looks awesome and I am definitely going to pick one up when they are released. Any future plans for more spyderco collaborations?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I like the knife. I generally have moved to smaller EDC knives and find this design right in the sweet spot of what I like. The knife handle reminds me of the Lava of Chad Los Banos/Spyderco fame, which I consider a good thing. It honestly is a knife I will have to handle in person but I have a preconception I am going to like it! The knife also reminds me of the work of Dialex, maybe due to the comp lock and wire clip, both of which are favorites of mine. I look forward to your detailed thoughts and I look forward to being able to pronounce and spell the name of this knife correctly!
LC Kid

Spyderco Ouroboros

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Paul!

And welcome to the Spyderco Forums. :spyder:

Actually, the first time ever I saw the Ouroboros was in the SHOT Show video when Eric presented it. Before that I only had some very vague description of the model, and I even remember somebody saying it was a Slip Joint.

Thankfully it isn't. From the vid I can tell the Compression Lock fits pretty well on the design. :)

So far, I'd like to see an actual picture of the Ouroboros. The model looks really good in hand and shows very nice ergos (again, from the vid), and seems like it'll make an awesome EDC blade option. :D

Best Regards,
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the looks of it. It looks like a folding skinner or caper. I am curios to hear the design philosophy.

Welcome to the forum.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hi Paul,

Like others have said, I really like the look of your design and am excited to get one in my hand for a closer look. I was curious about the name so I googled it and found this:

The Ouroboros is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail. The name originates from within Greek language; (oura) meaning "tail" and (boros) meaning "eating", thus "he who eats the tail".

Does this word or definition have a special meaning to you or is it something in the design of the knife that made you calling the Ouroboros?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

Hi Paul,

I'm very interested to find out more about your collaboration. When I heard Michigan my eyes lit up. I'm liking the size and look of the knife. Supporting a fellow Michigander is always a plus. I've lived here all my life. I to am interested in finding out how you came up with the name and also the ergonomics. Also I couldn't see where it was being made. I was thinking Taiwan? Looking forward to hearing more from ya. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Paul, welcome aboard.
As several mentioned, I'd heard about your design some time back. I think I may have even caught a glimpse of it at last year's BLADE Show? I like the unique blade shape and overall flow of the design. It appears to be very comfortable in the hand.

P.S. I live less than 10 miles south of the Michigan line in Indiana. Where about in Michigan are you located?

Take care,
Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum and thanks for feeding our addiction.

I saw the Ouroboros on the video. Since I gravitate to smaller knives, generally, and I like the Compression Lock, this knife looks like a winner. What was your thinking when designing the knife? It looks like a good slicer and skinner. Are you a hunter? Is that what influenced your design?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PM1

Post by PM1 »

Welcome to the forum. :)

I was wondering about the blade steel used, where it is made, 1 liner or 2 (are they nested?) and what kind of washers (if any) are in the pivot?
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

I was looking for this in the SHOT videos, but didn't see it. Which video is it in, or does someone have a screenshot? I'm very interested in this knife.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

This was my favorite knife that spyderco introduced in the videos. Looks like a kiwi, junior and lava had a drunken night. Looks to be really comfortable in the hand. Can't wait to see more of this one.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Welcome to the forum Paul (yay, another Paul!)! I look forward to reading more of your story about the evolution of this knife. To me it looks like a large morphed Lava with a comp lock, very cool! Cheers, Radioactive (Paul ;)) :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Another Michigan poster here. I'm going to put this one on the list to purchase. Im excited to hear what this would excel at also. Personally it doesn't fit any of my Normal uses like hunting fishing but this is a badass looking knife and let's represent Michigan!
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Paul,

Welcome to the forum. Like many others I am most interested in hearing about the design process as well as production details.

Thanks
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Wow, I'm glad to see so many Michiganders in here! :D
Also good to see I wasn't the only one to catch that little comment from Eric Glesser in that video. Always makes me happy to hear the Mitten get mentioned.

I'm anxious to hear your design intentions in the Ouroboros, Paul.
This one has definitely caught my attention. :spyder:

Also, just a bit curious, I've never thought to ask any of the other collaborators who post on here; do you mind if I ask how much input does Spyderco allow as far as you requesting a particular blade steel?
Going back to Caly.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Well, it looks like I’m going to call an audible… your enthusiastic and thought provoking responses have made me rethink how I’ll handle this thread. Instead of me just posting a description of the knife design and then handling responses to the questions, I’ll use the answers to your questions as a jumping off point for my posts. I’ll hopefully answer your questions as well be able to spin off on tangents that share a bit more details about the knife and the design process, sort of let the discussion grow organically. That will probably make things less succinct than they could be, so please be patient . Now, on to the design philosophy and influences behind the knife.

To begin with, I’m a huge fan of the Bob Lum Chinese folder designs (and couldn’t be more excited for the li’l Lum to drop later this year), but I’ve always wanted a version of that knife with a choil. I suppose that’s probably how things initially got percolating in my head. As I began seriously thinking about designing such a knife, I started to consider what other design traits I wanted to add or accentuate. As folks who have really used the Chinese folder know, it has a bit of a negative blade angle to it that makes it extremely handy for lots of random utility chores. This sets the stage for the second major influence, the knife designs of Ed Schempp. While I don’t know if he was the first to aggressively angle the blade of a folder downward, he's the first designer I think of when talking about negative blade angles. The alignment of the line of action of the blade point with the length of the forearm, the more natural angle of the wrist while performing common tasks like opening packages, all of theses things were factors that led to the dramatic arching of the Ouroboros design. Finally, there are the many, many Spyderco designs from Sal and Eric, incorporating brilliant ergonomics and industry first innovations within their own aesthetically distinctive and compelling style, the Spydie-hole, the pocket clip, the compression lock, generous finger choils, smaller blades with secure handles, these are the Spyderco hallmarks that I love in the Spydies I’ve bought over the years and look to incorporate into all my submissions.

I suppose that wraps up the “standing on the shoulders of giants” part of the design, in the next post I’ll talk about how I try and honor all those influences without spitting out a design that is more derivative than definitive…