Mantra Bearing Race

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
m6steen
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Denver Colorado USA Earth

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby m6steen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:02 pm

Seems like a manufacturing flaw to me.
Matt

C36 Military | Left Hand
C41 Native 5 | S35VN | S90V Forum 2015 | S110V | LC200N Never Summer/NFFF | Maxamet | M4
C94 UK Penknife | GIN-1 | GIN-1 | BD1N | S110V
C203 Mantra 2

User avatar
SpeedHoles
Member
Posts: 2717
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 am
Location: Mitten

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby SpeedHoles » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:02 pm

That's unfortunate. Yeah, possibly overtightened initially or at some point, or saw a high lateral load in that position to dent the washers...

Bearing design like this does make me cringe just a little bit. Seeing threads like this make me use my Southard/Domino/Dice just a bit lighter everytime. And I already know I can't use it for cutting gritty materials or excessively dirty environment...
Makes me wonder when we may see a sealed cartridge bearing pivot, either ball or needle...
Going back to Caly.

pauledst
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby pauledst » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:50 pm

I recently purchased a Mantra 2 on ebay from a third party. This one is marked on the blade with the Collector Club number 005. The box and knife both appear to be genuine. The operation of the blade rotation mechanism seems to have two areas that feel like typical bearing contamination. The first is at 1/3 open and the other at nearly full open. I have not disassembled the knife and don't intend to pending an email from Spyderco. If I don't hear from them I will attempt to contact them.
I operated the knife maybe five times. Aside from that it has been stored in it's box in my den.
I'm not a mechanical engineer but have considerable experience in my working and hobby life with ball, roller and needle bearings.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 18929
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby Evil D » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:05 pm

The washers in my Southard are cupped like this and they have a groove worn in them by the washers, but there aren't any actual dents like those pics show. I actually tighten the pivot on this knife as tight as I can turn it, so I'm not sure if over tightening is the cause. The good news is new washers should fix the problem.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2232
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby elena86 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:32 am

A caged ball bearing would be a solution.After seeing theese pics I became quite reluctant purchasing a Mantra.I wonder how often does this washer deformation occur and if Spydercrew is aware of the problem and willing to provide new washers on ocassions.
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 1340
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby Larry_Mott » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:37 am

elena86 wrote:A caged ball bearing would be a solution.After seeing theese pics I became quite reluctant purchasing a Mantra.I wonder how often this washer deformation occur and if Spydercrew is aware of the problem and willing to provide new washers on ocassions.
My personal solution is to move the Mantra down on the shopping list :)
Hopefully it is a batch/teething problem that will pass soon.

User avatar
awa54
Member
Posts: 1998
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 am
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby awa54 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:12 am

it seems like the elastic range of titanium handle scales is wider than that of the washers, either a thicker washer or one that has a harder alloy, or heat treat might fix this?

either way the only flipper that grabs my interest is the Positron.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...

Michael Janich
Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby Michael Janich » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:47 am

Dear Abbazaba:

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing with your Mantra. After seeing your post, I discussed it with our warranty repair department. The best course of action is for you to return your knife to us so we can take a closer look at it. Please reference the fact that you are the one who posted the issue on the forum and provide all your contact and return shipping information.

Since the Mantras are new products, we do not have a long track record with them yet. As always, we will do our best to be as fair as possible and get a properly functioning knife in your hands as soon as we can.

Thank you for your understanding and for bringing this to our attention.

Stay safe,

Mike

User avatar
David Lowry
Member
Posts: 5651
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:41 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby David Lowry » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:26 pm

If this has been said before, I apologize. I just don't understand the need for bearings on a knife. It makes things unnecessarily complicated. Big fat phosphor bronze washers can be really smooth. No need to make things complicated just to do it. Go back to exposed stop-pins, and PB washers please.

I just don't get it. I have some Benchmade's as well as some Kershaw's that are some of the smoothest knives I've ever felt and they have washers. Bearing knives get gritty after a while and need cleaned more than PB washer knives. Sebenza's are on washers.

The more Spydies that get put on bearings the less I buy.

Go back to exposed stop-pins, and PB washers please.
“...Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it.” - Sal Glesser

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 7958
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby bearfacedkiller » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:43 pm

David Lowry wrote:If this has been said before, I apologize. I just don't understand the need for bearings on a knife. It makes things unnecessarily complicated. Big fat phosphor bronze washers can be really smooth. No need to make things complicated just to do it. Go back to exposed stop-pins, and PB washers please.

I just don't get it. I have some Benchmade's as well as some Kershaw's that are some of the smoothest knives I've ever felt and they have washers. Bearing knives get gritty after a while and need cleaned more than PB washer knives. Sebenza's are on washers.

The more Spydies that get put on bearings the less I buy.

Go back to exposed stop-pins, and PB washers please.
^
Yup!

If this had washers and an external stop pin I would have bought it by now.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

fanglekai
Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby fanglekai » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:44 pm

I've noticed my Domino isn't very smooth anymore and has that "speed bump" feeling as it rotates in its arc. I should probably send it to W&R as well.

pdptrow
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:33 pm
Location: Webster, NY

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby pdptrow » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 am

It seems all Spyderco flippers with bearings have the same or similar washers. In my southard I experienced an issue in difficulty flipping it. THe bearing washers get grooves worn into them. Imagine the tires of a car riding on the road versus riding in ruts; the latter has more friction. I don't know how other bearing configuration are done or if one is better than another. But some knives flip very smooth. I cleaned and fiddled with my southard and for now can live with it. Here is the response I got from Spyderco regarding this.

"Sorry due to constant quality improvement and the circulation of knock offs we do not ship internal parts. We do not stock most repair parts for the knives that are not made here in Golden as damage from disassembling the knife voids the warranty and if a knife has a warranty issue the knives are generally replaced not repaired. The washers in the Southard after assembled are not flat because of the bearing washers. You can send your knife in for repair if you’d like."

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2232
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby elena86 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:17 am

I don't get it.Is this washers issue a manufacturing flaw or not ? We deserve at least a feedback from Spyderco

User avatar
gull wing
Member
Posts: 3056
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Louisiana USA

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby gull wing » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:58 am

First it's the Positron, then Mantra that I was going to buy and then :eek: .
The Mantra is new, but not the bearings pivot(Southard, Domino, Dice)
SCARAMOUCHE! :spyder:

User avatar
Brock O Lee
Member
Posts: 2118
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby Brock O Lee » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:13 pm

I appreciate the engineering and manufacturing effort that goes into these flippers with bearings etc, but I value simplicity and long term reliability more. If I lived in the US it might have been a different story, but if I can I want to avoid shipping a knife halfway around the world and back to solve a warrantee claim.
Hans
Favourites at the moment: Military Ti/G10 M4, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF, Pits, Chaparral Ti

User avatar
Detdaddy
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:39 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby Detdaddy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:09 am

I had the exact same issue with my brown Southard flipper. I could never get it to flip open completely, without flicking it downward with my wrist. I got to the point I was going to sell it. But I hated to because I love the ergonomics of the knife. So recently I took mine apart and found the washers looked exactly like the ones in your photos. My solution was to flip the washers over. Then I applied some Chris Reeve fluorinated grease around the washers. After re-assembling I flipped it to see if it helped. I could not believe how easy, and with authority, the blade flipped open. I may see if I can find replacement washers and swap them out one day.

This makes me hesitant to pick up a Mantra... Hopefully Spyderco addresses this issue with their flippers. I am confident they will.

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 1449
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: England, still in the EU.

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby ChrisinHove » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:26 am

Larry_Mott wrote:
elena86 wrote:A caged ball bearing would be a solution.After seeing theese pics I became quite reluctant purchasing a Mantra.I wonder how often this washer deformation occur and if Spydercrew is aware of the problem and willing to provide new washers on ocassions.
My personal solution is to move the Mantra down on the shopping list :)
Hopefully it is a batch/teething problem that will pass soon.
+1

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 2482
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby abbazaba » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am

Detdaddy wrote:I had the exact same issue with my brown Southard flipper. I could never get it to flip open completely, without flicking it downward with my wrist. I got to the point I was going to sell it. But I hated to because I love the ergonomics of the knife. So recently I took mine apart and found the washers looked exactly like the ones in your photos. My solution was to flip the washers over. Then I applied some Chris Reeve fluorinated grease around the washers. After re-assembling I flipped it to see if it helped. I could not believe how easy, and with authority, the blade flipped open. I may see if I can find replacement washers and swap them out one day.

This makes me hesitant to pick up a Mantra... Hopefully Spyderco addresses this issue with their flippers. I am confident they will.
That's exactly what I ended up doing... flipped the washers and added fluoro grease.

If someone had already taken the Mantra apart and confirmed the problem, I may have sent it to Spyderco. However, I do have an issue sending my brand new knife in for repair at an extra cost to myself. This really warranted a recall IMHO. Either way, I'd really just like some new washers, which I will have to source myself because they wont ship parts.

fanglekai
Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby fanglekai » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:12 pm

Will Spyderco repair or replace the washers in my Domino? I've never had to use their warranty before.

Z2KCT
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: Mantra Bearing Race

Postby Z2KCT » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:48 pm

Does the southard model have this issue too? I was interested in getting one but now I'm not sure
PM2 Digi-Cam Satin, PM2 Black Satin, Orange Dragonfly, Smallfly, Yojimbo2, Dog-Tag DLC, Spyderco Lum Tanto


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jacala, Mom3ntuM, Tims and 62 guests