EDC Battle: Delica vs. Endura vs. Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you could only have 1 EDC knife, which of the following would you choose?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:36 am

Delica
40%
Endura
17%
Stretch
43%

Total votes: 128

VashHash

Re: EDC Battle: Delica vs. Endura vs. Stretch

Post by VashHash »

Stretch every time. Love my CF ZDP stretch. Carried it for the past 2 weeks. Realized this is for FRN handled model... I still pick the stretch because i also have one in super blue. I'll probably pick up the HAP-40 stretch too. It just fits my hand better than the others and i love the design.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Mad Mac wrote:Image

Here is my trio. Note that my 1990 vintage Delica and Endura have no "bug".
Great shot!

VashHash wrote:Stretch every time. Love my CF ZDP stretch. Carried it for the past 2 weeks. Realized this is for FRN handled model... I still pick the stretch because i also have one in super blue. I'll probably pick up the HAP-40 stretch too. It just fits my hand better than the others and i love the design.

Agreed. In either FRN or slab, I really mesh with the Stretch.

Just wondering, does your CF/ZDP-189 Stretch have the stepped "dino" jimping, or the regular notched jimping?
Going back to Caly.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Notched jimping.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if the people who aren't voting for the Stretch have actually used one, or if there are other reasons they don't like it, like the spine curve or maybe blade length restrictions. It truly is a notch above the other knives in this poll. As far as back lock Spydercos go, I think the only knives I'd take over a Stretch are the Centofante knives or maybe a Chaparral if I wanted a smaller knife. Maybe an original Manix or Chinook for beefier knives, but for all around use and the best blade to handle ratio out of the pack, it's the Stretch every time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Evil D wrote:I wonder if the people who aren't voting for the Stretch have actually used one...

I loved the Stretch. Until I got one. The handle bugs the heck out of me. It's less than ideal for me to use no matter how I hold it. I gotta get off my butt and unload that sucker.
Evil D wrote:... As far as back lock Spydercos go, I think the only knives I'd take over a Stretch are the Centofante knives ...
Couldn't agree more. Those knives fit my hand like a glove and cut like lasers.

Gordon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gaj999 wrote:
I loved the Stretch. Until I got one. The handle bugs the heck out of me. It's less than ideal for me to use no matter how I hold it. I gotta get off my butt and unload that sucker.
That's a surprise. This handle design is one of the few that feels as good to me behind or on the choil. My only complaint was that the handle was a tiny bit cramped behind the choil, but I also haven't handled the new Stretch. Really the only thing holding me back from carrying a Stretch more often is I'm just not a huge back lock fan. I make the exception for the Centofante's but that's a whole other story and if they'd bring those knives out with a compression lock again I'd have to seriously reevaluate my EDC.

I will add, the SE Stretch is probably the hands down best knife you can get in SE, because it has the best FFG grind you can get and is 3mm thick. The Military is also way up there but the Stretch slices better than a Military. I love the Salt knives but the low hollow grind puts them way behind the Stretch in SE performance.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BlkNsliver

Post by BlkNsliver »

I do not own any of the three but I think the Delica would be my choice. I just got a PM2 and a Persistent and I love the PM2 but I find the idea of carrying a folder that big a little much for everyday carry. I just ordered a Meadowlark. Is that similar in size to a Delica? I have been carrying the Persistence since I got it today and it seems to be a good size foe edc.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Evil D wrote:... My only complaint was that the handle was a tiny bit cramped behind the choil ...
I don't like that cramped feeling either. Plus it puts my hand far from the cutting edge. I have wide hands with short fingers. When I open the Stretch with my hand lined up naturally on the handle, the radius from pivot to opening hole is too long. If I choke up to keep from having to stretch my thumb(sorry), I'm up on that choil. And the choil just feels wrong to me, maybe because my finger sits up so high. It's all around awkward feeling. It's not unusable, it's just unlovable, and I've tried to love it.

Gordon
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

BlkNsliver wrote:I just ordered a Meadowlark. Is that similar in size to a Delica?
Basically,the Meadowlark is a Delica with a choil and inferior steel.

If i could have only one knife for edc,i'll be the Delica.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:I wonder if the people who aren't voting for the Stretch have actually used one, or if there are other reasons they don't like it, like the spine curve or maybe blade length restrictions. It truly is a notch above the other knives in this poll. As far as back lock Spydercos go, I think the only knives I'd take over a Stretch are the Centofante knives or maybe a Chaparral if I wanted a smaller knife. Maybe an original Manix or Chinook for beefier knives, but for all around use and the best blade to handle ratio out of the pack, it's the Stretch every time.
I don't think I've ever really felt much love for the Stretch. I find the curve of the spine lacks some functionality for my typical uses. And though aesthetics are not really at the top of the list when I'm choosing a knife, I have to admit that I find the blade profile of the Stretch really unattractive. The kicker for me though was when I finally handled one it just didn't sit right in my hand. Choil was not deep enough and felt awkward when choked up. I got to handle the Stretch 2 earlier this year and much prefer it. I will likely pick one up if they ever release an frn version.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Surfingringo wrote:The kicker for me though was when I finally handled one it just didn't sit right in my hand. Choil was not deep enough and felt awkward when choked up. I got to handle the Stretch 2 earlier this year and much prefer it. I will likely pick one up if they ever release an frn version.
Agree 100% on this. I bought a stretch due to the massive fan-base, and had the same reaction, so ended up selling it. For me, the R solves both of your complaints about the stretch. It has a Delica blade shape, a stretch blade length, and a nice deep choil. I think it's about time to stir the pot for another R sprint!

From Mr. Blonde's site...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Stretch and Endura are too big for my taste as an everyday pocket knife.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Kid Shamrock

Post by Kid Shamrock »

I've owned all three, liked the Stretch best due to the choil. Don't currently own any of the three, other models took their place...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

tvenuto wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:The kicker for me though was when I finally handled one it just didn't sit right in my hand. Choil was not deep enough and felt awkward when choked up. I got to handle the Stretch 2 earlier this year and much prefer it. I will likely pick one up if they ever release an frn version.
Agree 100% on this. I bought a stretch due to the massive fan-base, and had the same reaction, so ended up selling it. For me, the R solves both of your complaints about the stretch. It has a Delica blade shape, a stretch blade length, and a nice deep choil. I think it's about time to stir the pot for another R sprint!
The R is awesome! I think with the Para2 being insanely popular and the Stretch being Sal's baby we aren't gonna see much R action. I would love a G10/ZDP version of the R like the Stretch2. I have been thinking about getting some G10 scales made for my Nishijin R for a while now. It just fits my hand like a glove.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

I had to vote endura. It's the only knife I have variations of and I carry one most days. I have a 90s clip it delica and carry it occasionally but typically prefer more blade. Always loved the design of the stretch but have never had the chance to actually handle one. I will be looking to get the hap40 stretch so maybe my vote will change in a few months?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I am honestly a bit shocked to see that the Stretch got more votes than the Delica and way more than the Endura. I would be curious to know how actual sales to the general public compare between these three models. I would think that the Delica outsells the Stretch out in the wild but like I said, I expected it to be voted favorite here too, so what do I know.
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

delphidoc wrote:The Delica and Endura exist without a choil to make the Stretch and Stretch 2 look GOOD :D
What he said. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

delphidoc wrote:
delphidoc wrote:The Delica and Endura exist without a choil to make the Stretch and Stretch 2 look GOOD :D
What he said. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. :D
I concur! :cool:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:I wonder if the people who aren't voting for the Stretch have actually used one, or if there are other reasons they don't like it, like the spine curve or maybe blade length restrictions. It truly is a notch above the other knives in this poll. As far as back lock Spydercos go, I think the only knives I'd take over a Stretch are the Centofante knives or maybe a Chaparral if I wanted a smaller knife. Maybe an original Manix or Chinook for beefier knives, but for all around use and the best blade to handle ratio out of the pack, it's the Stretch every time.
I don't think I've ever really felt much love for the Stretch. I find the curve of the spine lacks some functionality for my typical uses. And though aesthetics are not really at the top of the list when I'm choosing a knife, I have to admit that I find the blade profile of the Stretch really unattractive. The kicker for me though was when I finally handled one it just didn't sit right in my hand. Choil was not deep enough and felt awkward when choked up. I got to handle the Stretch 2 earlier this year and much prefer it. I will likely pick one up if they ever release an frn version.
Stretch 2, yellow FRN, H1 steel. /drool
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Surfingringo wrote:I am honestly a bit shocked to see that the Stretch got more votes than the Delica and way more than the Endura. I would be curious to know how actual sales to the general public compare between these three models. I would think that the Delica outsells the Stretch out in the wild but like I said, I expected it to be voted favorite here too, so what do I know.
We are not representative of the general public knife buying market. We are the crazy ones who care a whole lot about knives and follow Spyderco closely.