Clip Thickness Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toothed

Clip Thickness Question

Post by toothed »

How interchangeable are the clips on Sypderco knives? I realize some models have obvious different screw patterns, e.g., Military, G-10 police, etc. but most of the other models have clips that look pretty much alike. I'd like to swap the chromed clip on the new Viele with a black clip from one of my other Sypderco knives.

I don't have a precision measuring device to confirm my eye estimation that some clips are thicker than others. Of chief concern is how much the screws would go through the liner and contact the blade if the replacement clip is thinner than the original clip. Also, I do not want to use screws that are too short to fully seat into the liner and only go through the micarta scale. I'm not sure if loctite is used on these clips and I want to go through the least amount of trial and error as possible. Someone mentioned the clip on the Tim Zowada as a possible swap but that clip does seem thinner to my eye. Can anyone else confirm this option or offer any other help? Thanks
br44

Post by br44 »

Yes the black clip that was used on the Zowada and Calypso will work on the Viele. I put one on mine and does it look great.
toothed

Post by toothed »

treb, I put the Zowada clip onto my Viele yesterday and it seems to fit nicely. However, I had to use the same chrome screws on the Viele since they were a different length (longer) than the Zowada's. Later today I'll try the JD Smith's black screws on the Viele since it looks like it also screws into the liner.

Although it puts my Zowada and JD Smith out of action for awhile, I don't mind because the updated Viele is worth it. Besides if the upgraded JD Smith receives the same first-rate treatment as the Viele, it won't be long before that knife will be in my pocket as well.