Which one should be next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
On Edge

Re: Which one should be next?

Post by On Edge »

GoldenSpydie wrote:PM2!
+1
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Me wants to have a Native 5 G-10. S35V steel is enticing.
Love the entire Native line.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Picking up my own thread... :) Only lately I got my Chaparral, and am totally in love with it. So sexy... :D

I changed my mind about the Manbug in SB, cause it's got no clip. :( So next on my roadmap is either the Sage 3 or a Yojimbo 2 in S30V. Or maybe a Dragonfly in HAP40...? What do you think?

I'm not sure I'd enjoy the PM2 so much. Similar to Delica or Endura, I guess I don't like the rather long slim blade shape. And I'm not sure the lock mechanism is what I like - too close to a liner lock.

Also I really considered to buy a 2015 Native 5 in S90V, especially at the current price. But I'm a weirdo, I like the S35VN Native 5 that I own too much to replace it. ;)

When does :spyder: launch the 2016 Forum knife? When do they announce what it will be? From the past years...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
palonej

Post by palonej »

Hey Angel!!!
If you're on the fence in regards to the Yojimbo.....take the leap my friend!! I got mine last week and am completely blown away!! I put a set of Allen Putman scales on mine and it hasn't left my pocket!! Amazing action and a spectacular blade that cuts like a very angry demon!! This is by far the sharpest Spydie, or any other, out of the box I have ever seen!!
I saw you mentioned no interest in the PM2.....the Yoji has the same lock bro. It is my favorite lock in the line up.
Here's a pic of mine.
Good luck!!
Joe
In regards to the Forum Native.....I just went to grab one. Discount code is expired. Listed price is 40% off.......but shipping is $13.00???? Really??
Turned me off so I passed.
Attachments
Is that just too sexy or what???
Is that just too sexy or what???
archangel

Post by archangel »

I know that the PM2 and the Yojimbo 2 share the same lock type. But the Yojimbo's wharncliffe blade is so rare, so different...

Anyone say something about the 2016 Forum knife?
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Noone?? :o
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

The Szabo Folder is also veeeeery sexy... But seriously out of budget... :(

So sexy though.......
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

****... In a moment of weakness I ordered the S90V 2015 Forum Native 5... :D

Where else can you get a S90V blade knife for that price?? ;)
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sweet mother of all that is good and pure... I looked at dozens of pics, and with every pic the feeling got stronger...

Must... have... the... szabo folder......

And now it is also on its way........ :eek:

I guess some other knifes must go, to finance it. Don't worry, no spydies... ;)
Michael
awa54

Post by awa54 »

HAP40 Delica and Endura are still available!

The Delica gets lots of pocket time in my rotation, great knife with a fantastic steel in a limited run, how can you go wrong?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

archangel wrote:Hey guys,
My family of spydies keeps growing... ;)

Now consists of seven babies - all with different steels. :)

Meadowlark II (8Cr13MoV)
UK PenKnife (CTS-BD1)
Centofante III (VG10)
Pacific Salt (H1)
Native 5 (CPM-S35VN)
Stretch (ZDP-189)
Manix II (CPM-S110V)

Next on my wish list: Chaparral with CTS-XHP. Consider it virtually added. :D

See the pattern? 1) They must be affordable. 2) I really don't like linerlocks. 3) Primary steel is - well - primary! ;)

What do you think, which non-linerlock (preferably backlock) spydi with a not yet listed A grade steel is worth being added to the collection?
First, congrats on your Chaparral. That was my 2nd Spyderco, I'm still loving it after getting more Spydies, and I'm even carrying it today to match the navy chinos I'm wearing in the office.

I can only guess as to what to get next, but I'd say you look primed for a Delica or a Dragonfly. I have the DF2 in ZDP and the Delica in HAP40, and I can't recommend either one enough. I'd say get one or the other, in ZDP-189 or HAP40(once the DF2 is available in that of course). They're both classics, amazing in the hand and as cutters, available with very, very good steel(I prefer the HAP40 so far, if it matters), and are both fairly inexpensive and not out of the range of the ones you've already bought. If I had to pick just one, it would be the Dragonfly by the smallest of margins. So if I were you, I'd buy a HAP40 DF2 when it's out. That'd tick a lot of your boxes.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yeah, I guess the DF2 HAP40 is a must-have.

Maybe I'll sell the Native 5 S35VN and get a PM2 with that steel, if by then it'll still be available. That'll probably round things up with the steel collecting, until new steels appear... :rolleyes:
Michael
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

archangel wrote:Yeah, I guess the DF2 HAP40 is a must-have.

Maybe I'll sell the Native 5 S35VN and get a PM2 with that steel, if by then it'll still be available. That'll probably round things up with the steel collecting, until new steels appear... :rolleyes:
I love my DF2 and the HAP40 is gonna be on order as soon as it's in stock (I'm not really a fan of the Delica/Endura either).

Now that the Szabo took the S30v spot that rules out a lot of options, however what about my favorite... M4 :D ? I'm not sure if the Mantra series is "affordable", but one from the Bradley series might be. My Chap ensures that the Air doesnt get out much, but the Gayle Bradley 1 is perhaps my favorite knife of all time. If you like something a little more traditional the GB2 is a screaming deal.
archangel

Post by archangel »

M4 steel, yes. The Bradley folders are pretty, but I really don't like linerlocks. :( The Mantra is really nice looking, and the assisted flipper opener is very cool - but I guess the price won't drop to an affirdable level for quite some time. :o I'll keep it in mind.

With the two incoming knifes, and the Sprint run DF2 HAP40 on the must-have list, not sure when I'll have budget again.......
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Oooooh... I found another target. Lil' Lionspy has been added to the list...... :D

Really pricy... :eek: But oh so beautiful.......
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Well, the regular Native 5 with S35VN must go, because a PM2 Sprint Run with that steel is also incoming....... :eek:

This for sure concludes the collecting for many months. Except maybe for the DF2 Sprint Run, but that one is not so pricy anyway.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Picked up the Native 5 S90V forum knife from customs yesterday. She really is a beauty... :rolleyes:

Was hoping to receive the Szabo Folder this week as well, but no luck. Kinda have the feeling that customs picked this one, too... :eek:

The S35VN Paramilitary that I ordered at KC one week ago was not yet shipped. :confused:
Michael
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

archangel wrote: When does :spyder: launch the 2016 Forum knife? When do they announce what it will be? From the past years...

They probably won't make one this year. It's already 2016 and the 2015 Forum Knife hasn't even sold out yet. Kind of a shame there is not more support for those runs and more people buying them up.

...interesting you bought a Szabo, and are now looking at a Lil Lionspy, but you thought on the other hand the Mantra is too expensive.
Going back to Caly.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I got a really good price on the Szabo. And the Lil Lionspy is on my wish list, but probably really unaffordable. Also I consider these two really much more attractive than the Mantra.

Thanks for your insight on the forum knife. Would really be a shame if there wouldn't be one in 2016.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Better than words... :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Oh, and I added the K2 and the Mantra to my wish list, and renamed it into long term vision. Realistically, the DF2 sprint is the only additional spydie that I will be able to afford this year. Since I also ordered an Urban Leaf a few minutes ago. ;)

So by end of Feb I'll own 10 spydies. 10 different models, ten different steels. :)
Michael