Which one should be next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Which one should be next?

Post by archangel »

Hey guys,
My family of spydies keeps growing... ;)

Now consists of seven babies - all with different steels. :)

Meadowlark II (8Cr13MoV)
UK PenKnife (CTS-BD1)
Centofante III (VG10)
Pacific Salt (H1)
Native 5 (CPM-S35VN)
Stretch (ZDP-189)
Manix II (CPM-S110V)

Next on my wish list: Chaparral with CTS-XHP. Consider it virtually added. :D

See the pattern? 1) They must be affordable. 2) I really don't like linerlocks. 3) Primary steel is - well - primary! ;)

What do you think, which non-linerlock (preferably backlock) spydi with a not yet listed A grade steel is worth being added to the collection?
Last edited by archangel on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
swigert

Re: Which one should be next?

Post by swigert »

A super blue model....
swigert

Post by swigert »

Sage 3 with the bolt action lock, s30v
archangel

Post by archangel »

Manbug with Super Blue steel was already on my mind. But it is rather small... But on the other hand quite affordable. Hmm.....

Sage 3 is on the high end of the budget, almost off... But a nice one.

More proposals, please!! :)
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

If you're anything like me you'll love the manbug. SB and ZDP for me and the ZDP sees as much use as my Endura
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

A Caly 3.5 in Vg10 or zdp....the Caly 3.5 is a great edc imo
archangel

Post by archangel »

@ MacLaren: VG10 & ZDP are already in my collection.

@ dubya3: What do you mean by SP?
Last edited by archangel on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

archangel wrote:@ MacLaren: VG10 & ZDP is already in my collection.

I see...but still yet, the Caly 3.5 is a real treat.
That being said, good luck with the hunt :)
swigert

Post by swigert »

The s90 V forum knife should be a must buy at the current price if it is still available.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

PM2!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Pingo in N690. Tough little booger for a slippie and I like the steel a whole lot. Could also get Pingo Ti in Elmax
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

archangel wrote:@ MacLaren: VG10 & ZDP are already in my collection.

I think you mean't to say "SB?" That would be short for Superblue. :) I'll second (or third :rolleyes: ) the advice on getting a SB Manbug. Great knife for the money, IMHO.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Delica 4. Honestly, every single spydernut needs at least one Delica in their collection. You can usually buy a standard Delica 4 for around $55-60 bucks if you shop around. Heck, you could even spice things up and get the Kahr Delica (available in tan, denim blue, or black FRN). :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I concur with others, if you don't have any SB you're really missing something special, so easy to sharpen and get literally razor sharp. Also once they are gone they can be quit hard to find at a decent price on the secondary market. The manbug, stretch and ladybug can still be found fairly easy, others not so much.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Two different options have already been mentioned here that you may want to consider before the chap in xhp due to availability. S90V forum native and any of the super blue models you can find before they disappear and become prohibitively expensive on the secondary market.

Interesting exercise to think through how many different steels are currently available in back locks.

If anyone else remembers, was there at one point an online spreadsheet with most of the spydies listed that you could sort by many different attributes? If so a link in this thread might help the OP.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Chaparral is sure to please.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

You need a Delica and an Endura. Luckily for you both knives will be available soon in HAP40 steel and burnt orange handles :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yeah, SB... :o

Delica and Endura no likey the shape. :s

Chaparral with XHP, then Manbug with SB. Let's call that a roadmap. ;)

Any idea where to buy the Forum S90V?? Send me a PM if linking to a store is not permitted in the thread...
Michael
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

archangel wrote:Yeah, SB... :o

Delica and Endura no likey the shape. :s

Chaparral with XHP, then Manbug with SB. Let's call that a roadmap. ;)

Any idea where to buy the Forum S90V?? Send me a PM if linking to a store is not permitted in the thread...
Spyderco Factory Outlet or more commonly known around here as the SFO, dont forget the code for the 40% discount... ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

I would second the recommendation for a PM2. It comes in S30V, has amazing ergos, and by far my favorite lock on any knife (it's so stupidly smooth to both open and close). Be warned: if you're like me, you may not buy another knife for a while once you get a PM2. I had a little growing collection of about 6 serious knives before I bought the PM2. Once I got it, I carried it basically exclusively, and ceased buying any other knives for about 2.5 years. I only fairly recently (about 1.5 years ago) decided to expand the collection again and see what else was out there, but the PM2 still has a special place for me.

Otherwise, maybe consider a knife in M4 (the Air and Gayle Bradley come to mind), or the upcoming Delica in Hap40 as Johnnie mentioned above. Super Blue is also a solid choice (especially if you're interested in extracting the keenest edge possible). Great call on the Chaparral, too. It's one of my most carried Spydies nowadays because it punches so far above its weight and size.

I will say, the Sage 3 is a great knife but if you're only getting one in S30V, the PM2 has to be it. However, if the only thing holding you back from the Sage is the price, wait until Sports Authority has one of their 25% off sales (they have them every few months), you can get a fantastic deal. Mine was less than $100 before shipping.
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Also, keep in mind that the forum knife is obviously a Native 5. If you end up getting one, I'd say maybe consider selling your current Native, and pick up the S35VN PM2 sprint, they pop up fairly often on the secondary market. That way you could get both the PM2 and the Sage.

Ooh, also, maybe consider a BBS exclusive Domino in CTS-204P. The Domino is another fantastic knife, and that steel is among the best stainless steels available from the perspective of pure edge retention (being very similar to M390).

Edit: Here's the product page for the 2015 Forum knife. I'm shocked these are still available. Remember to use the discount code FORUM2015 on checkout.