Ode to the Aqua Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ConspicuousConsumption

Re: Ode to the Aqua Salt

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

I hate to revive a super old post, but need some advice. Despite running my Aqua Salt through literally hundreds of passes on the medium, fine, and ultra fine SM rods, and countless strip passes, this thing still won’t cut paper. I don’t need it to be a razor, but it’d be nice if it opened an envelope cleanly.

I just got the diamond rods. Should I use them on this? Should I use the 30 degree angle for the first time? Any benefit to changing the grind?
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mine was easier to sharpen once I reduced the edge angle. I took mine pretty low, about 10 degrees per side with a 15 degree microbevel. There is no reason to run this knife at 40 degrees per side with how small it is and how tough H1 is. I keep my EDC Pacific Salts around 8-10 degrees per side and they do fine, and my 10 dps Aqua Salt gets used to split wood and never has an issue.

Make sure you're clearly removing the old edge when you sharpen it regardless of angle. H1 will take a blistering sharp edge for me whether I use SM browns or whites, DMT diamond stones, traditional arkansas stone etc.
:unicorn
ConspicuousConsumption

Vivi wrote:Mine was easier to sharpen once I reduced the edge angle. I took mine pretty low, about 10 degrees per side with a 15 degree microbevel. There is no reason to run this knife at 40 degrees per side with how small it is and how tough H1 is. I keep my EDC Pacific Salts around 8-10 degrees per side and they do fine, and my 10 dps Aqua Salt gets used to split wood and never has an issue.

Make sure you're clearly removing the old edge when you sharpen it regardless of angle. H1 will take a blistering sharp edge for me whether I use SM browns or whites, DMT diamond stones, traditional arkansas stone etc.
So if I'm just working with the Sharpmaker, should I use the diamond rods in the 30 degree slots and work it until the blade is dull? I've never gone about such business - just sharpening up knives.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:
Vivi wrote:Mine was easier to sharpen once I reduced the edge angle. I took mine pretty low, about 10 degrees per side with a 15 degree microbevel. There is no reason to run this knife at 40 degrees per side with how small it is and how tough H1 is. I keep my EDC Pacific Salts around 8-10 degrees per side and they do fine, and my 10 dps Aqua Salt gets used to split wood and never has an issue.

So if I'm just working with the Sharpmaker, should I use the diamond rods in the 30 degree slots and work it until the blade is dull? I've never gone about such business - just sharpening up knives.
You want to use the 30 degree setting with the diamond rods until the old bevel is gone. Once you think you're there, coat the entire bevel with a sharpie and do a few passes. Make sure you're removing all the sharpie by hitting the entire edge. You should be able to easily raise a burr on either side at this point using the diamond rods.

From there you can polish up to whatever finish you want. I like the sharpmaker browns for PE H1, and the ultrafines for SE. At this setting I wouldn't worry about using a microbevel.
ConspicuousConsumption

Thank you Vivi. If I work up the courage I’ll give it a shot tonight. I guess worst case scenario I can have a pro fix me up after I screw the pooch. Hopefully I’ll be ok though!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A Sharpie is your friend. I assume this was your problem all along.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

While we are talking about the Aqua Salt... I don't use mine that often, but every now and again it proves it worth!

Tonight we had pork belly, with some tough crackling to cut through. The Aqua Salt SE was the only knife in the kitchen that could cut effectively and consistently through it. The thicker stock and piercing teeth did the job, because I had to lean on it with hard push-cuts to get the job done.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

why are there so few threads and posts on the Aqua Salt, I can't understand
it's as nice of a fixed blade as I can think of

wish it came uncoated, though
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Haha I have been in the Czech Republic for too long. When I saw your picture first thing that I thought of was who else is cutting up oyster mushrooms with a Spyderco
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
ConspicuousConsumption

Just an update on my 30° bevel conversion. I’ve been working it for a day or so, probably a million or so passes. Maybe a bit sharper for sure, but I’m not slicing butter yet.

Getting pretty weary of this but having a good time anyway.
vivi

Post by vivi »

H1 will get razor sharp once you've got a fresh apex. It takes a very impressive edge.

https://streamable.com/uscdv
Eee

Post by Eee »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:Just an update on my 30° bevel conversion. I’ve been working it for a day or so, probably a million or so passes. Maybe a bit sharper for sure, but I’m not slicing butter yet.

It can take a lot of passes on a sharpmaker to reach the apex. Are you getting a burr? It might be worth the sharpie trick (colour in the bevel with a sharpie and see where the sharpmaker is removing metal (and ink). Personally I'd follow Vivi's advice and feedhand it at a far lower angle and then I'd use the sharpmaker to microbevel. H1 is fine at very low angles and will roll before it chips, my Atlantic Salt is somewhere around 7 or 8 d.p.s.with a 15 d.p.s. Microbevel (30 degrees inclusive). It's also an easy steel to freehand sharpen :)
ConspicuousConsumption

Eee wrote:
ConspicuousConsumption wrote:Just an update on my 30° bevel conversion. I’ve been working it for a day or so, probably a million or so passes. Maybe a bit sharper for sure, but I’m not slicing butter yet.

It can take a lot of passes on a sharpmaker to reach the apex. Are you getting a burr? It might be worth the sharpie trick (colour in the bevel with a sharpie and see where the sharpmaker is removing metal (and ink). Personally I'd follow Vivi's advice and feedhand it at a far lower angle and then I'd use the sharpmaker to microbevel. H1 is fine at very low angles and will roll before it chips, my Atlantic Salt is somewhere around 7 or 8 d.p.s.with a 15 d.p.s. Microbevel (30 degrees inclusive). It's also an easy steel to freehand sharpen :)
I honestly don’t think I was getting a burr. I’m out on vacation now but I’ll try freehanding it when I get back!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

YouTube is short on Aqua Salt videos, specially on those where the knife is actually used. Anyone care to make a video showing its cutting power?
vivi

Post by vivi »

tonijedi wrote:YouTube is short on Aqua Salt videos, specially on those where the knife is actually used. Anyone care to make a video showing its cutting power?
I could get around to it sometime this month I'd imagine. I hate the way most knife videos are people talking about the knife for fifteen minutes, never showing it actually cutting things.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Have you cleaned the rods? The ceramics can load up quickly during a reprofiling session.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Vivi wrote:
tonijedi wrote:YouTube is short on Aqua Salt videos, specially on those where the knife is actually used. Anyone care to make a video showing its cutting power?
I could get around to it sometime this month I'd imagine. I hate the way most knife videos are people talking about the knife for fifteen minutes, never showing it actually cutting things.
Thank you Vivi! I feel the same, the worst is when it's just talking about other stuff not even related to the video's title.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I finally gave up and went to the knife shop, now I have a new knife :)
It's the old yellow handle version, the handle is a bit discolored on one side from being exposed to light, the blade is blunt from inserting and removing from the sheath, I'll have to work on it.

I'm thinking maybe I could dye the handle orange, don't know if anyone has done it before.

Vivi, I'm still waiting for the video and thinking about shooting one myself in a few weeks.
vivi

Post by vivi »

tonijedi wrote:Vivi, I'm still waiting for the video and thinking about shooting one myself in a few weeks.
Still need to shoot one from this decade, but here's an old one I found from when I lived further up north in the 2000's :)

https://streamable.com/sncuz
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Must. wait. for. LC200N.