Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kiwigunguy

Re: Fairly comprehensive list of Spyderos in movies, tv shows, etc

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Mad Mac wrote:Breaking Bad Season 4 Episode 11 Crawl Space, Tyrus Kitt cuts restraints off Walter White. It's quick and not a good view of the knife but I think I see a thumb hole when Tyrus closes the knife. Black handle, silver blade. It occurs with about 8 minutes left in the program.
It is visible between 38:55 and 39:10 in this video: http://vider.pl/violla/breaking-bad-s04 ... r-pl+fnx8n

Honestly, to me it looks more like a thumbstud than a thumbhole. It looks too small to be a functional thumbhole.
Does anyone else have any thoughts?
"An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper
"Stop having a boring knife, stop having a boring life." -Shamwow Guy in Jail
"Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, f u c k-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. S h i t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro." -Soap in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
remnar

Post by remnar »

I spotted a spydie on the T.V. show Big Fix, Alaska (Season 1, Ep. 4). One of the mechanics used it a couple of times and I think it was a Tenacious, but I can't confirm for sure. This was my first time seeing this show so I don't know if they show up regularly on there or not.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

dano wrote:The knife on The Martian isn't a Spyderco, it's a Victorinox Outdoorsman Hunter Pro.
For anyone interested here it is in one scene.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Mad Mac wrote:
dano wrote:The knife on The Martian isn't a Spyderco, it's a Victorinox Outdoorsman Hunter Pro.
For anyone interested here it is in one scene.

Yeah, I saw the movie and it's definitely a Victorinox. A good movie but a crappy knife.
It should have been a white NASA Delica CE or a Randall Model 17 Astro.
"An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper
"Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, f u c k-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. S h i t 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro." -Soap in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Donut

Post by Donut »

I saw the movie Triple 9 over the weekend. I think I saw a saber ground Byrd used in a "hostage" scene. Not the greatest of scenes to be in, but I don't think it's easily spotted and it's possibly just something that looks like a Byrd.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

In " Sanctum " a girl cuts the cord with a combo edge Delica
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

elena86 wrote:In " Sanctum " a girl cuts the cord with a combo edge Delica
Yeah, Sanctum should be on the list already. Thanks for that though.
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

cgjones wrote:Tooken (2015)

Tooken has been added to the list. There's nothing like taking on a two-handed sword with a Dragonfly... :D
Thank you very much for your help.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

In the documentary Meru, one of the three intrepid climbers appears to be using a Spyderco Endura SE to toast a bit of cheese. Jimmy Chin comments that next they will be eating their boots. The climbers had run out of food on their first attempt in 2008 and turned around a mere 100 meters short of their goal. Ultimately they prevailed and were the first to summit the "Shark's Fin" of Mount Meru in the Himalayas, where Heaven and **** meet. It is a testimony of faith in Spyderco that one of the Company's knives was selected for the attempt.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Mad Mac wrote:In the documentary Meru, one of the three intrepid climbers appears to be using a Spyderco Endura SE to toast a bit of cheese. Jimmy Chin comments that next they will be eating their boots. The climbers had run out of food on their first attempt in 2008 and turned around a mere 100 meters short of their goal. Ultimately they prevailed and were the first to summit the "Shark's Fin" of Mount Meru in the Himalayas, where Heaven and **** meet. It is a testimony of faith in Spyderco that one of the Company's knives was selected for the attempt.

Thanks for that.
Could you tell what generation it was by the blade shape or handle design?
What colour were the handles? When approximately in the film is it visible?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Generation? I'm not even sure it is an Endura.
The handle appears to be black.
The clip is not visible.
It's about halfway through the movie, toward the end of their first attempt.
The movie was made in 2008 and the climber with the Spyderco is the younger one, I think.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Watched Hannibal last night and he broke out the Harpy! Twas cool now I want one.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Chinook3 wrote:Watched Hannibal last night and he broke out the Harpy! Twas cool now I want one.
Good luck finding a plain-edge Harpy. :(
That being said, a new serrated Harpy would be just as cool. :spyder:
I've even heard as yet unsubstantiated rumours that the Harpy used in the film was serrated, so who knows...
Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

Mad Mac wrote:Generation? I'm not even sure it is an Endura.
The handle appears to be black.
The clip is not visible.
It's about halfway through the movie, toward the end of their first attempt.
The movie was made in 2008 and the climber with the Spyderco is the younger one, I think.
Based on the blade shape, serrations, and Boye dent, I'm fairly certain that the knife is a Delica 3rd Gen Black FRN SE.
I have added Meru to the list under tv shows because it is a documentary and not a more theatrical acting-based movie.
The serrated Delica is quite a fitting choice for Himalayan mountain climbing, as the 1991 Swedish Mount Everest expedition used the Delica 1st Gen Blue FRN SE (C11SBL) as their expedition knife. These knives were etched with the text: EVEREST -91 on the blade. A total of 43 knives were made with this etching, the first of which was presented to the Swedish King in a box made of Bog oak. Just an interesting bit of trivia I came across.

Thanks very much for your help. With input from people like yourself, this thread has become something quite special. :spyder:
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Meru (2015)

Approximately 28 minutes into the movie.

cgjones

Post by cgjones »

River Monsters - S08E02 - Death Down Under

Approximately 26 minutes into the episode.

cgjones

Post by cgjones »

NCIS - S13E22 - Homefront

Approximately 29 minutes and 34 minutes into the episode.

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

No Spyderco knives in The Fan, as far as I could tell, but somehow it seems to deserve mention here.

Robert De Niro plays the part of a salesman, Gil Renard, for a knife company founded by his father. The company has abandoned the values of the founder in order to sell less expensive knives.

The Renard knife, a folder with an elliptical opening hole, appears clearly in one scene. Gil's son does the Spydie drop with it during the Giants season opener. Gil, a huge Giants fan, has anger management issues to put it mildly as we watch Gil's sanity slide into an abyss.

On a lighter note, in one scene, desperate to make a sale and save his job, Gil has run out of hair on his arms to shave and shaves his shin to impress a prospect. How many movies revolve around a knife company? Just thought I would mention it.

Kiwigunguy

Post by Kiwigunguy »

cgjones wrote:Meru (2015)

Approximately 28 minutes into the movie.

cgjones wrote:River Monsters - S08E02 - Death Down Under

Approximately 26 minutes into the episode.

cgjones wrote:NCIS - S13E22 - Homefront

Approximately 29 minutes and 34 minutes into the episode.

Thanks for that. Meru, River Monsters, and NCIS have been added.
Mad Mac wrote:No Spyderco knives in The Fan, as far as I could tell, but somehow it seems to deserve mention here.

Robert De Niro plays the part of a salesman, Gil Renard, for a knife company founded by his father. The company has abandoned the values of the founder in order to sell less expensive knives.

The Renard knife, a folder with an elliptical opening hole, appears clearly in one scene. Gil's son does the Spydie drop with it during the Giants season opener. Gil, a huge Giants fan, has anger management issues to put it mildly as we watch Gil's sanity slide into an abyss.

On a lighter note, in one scene, desperate to make a sale and save his job, Gil has run out of hair on his arms to shave and shaves his shin to impress a prospect. How many movies revolve around a knife company? Just thought I would mention it.

I've heard a lot about The Fan but I have yet to see it. It does sound interesting, though.
Too bad they couldn't get some better knives for the movie... :spyder: