Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight - surprised me (PICS)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aquaman67

Re: Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight - surprised me (PICS)

Post by aquaman67 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
aquaman67 wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:The Native 5 is bigger then my Enduring Freedom Native?

Very interesting.
I'm not sure what you mean. Here's a pic of my Native family.

The Native 5 lightweight
OIF Native (same as the OEF)
S110V carbon fiber Native 5

They are all very close in size
To bad.

Someone in this thread I think said the 5 was a little bigger. I could be wrong it happened once before. I was 12 I think.

Are you in the Military aquaman?
I was in the Army. I went to Iraq in 2006-2007.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for your service.,

sal
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

sal wrote:Thanx much for your service.,

sal
Thank you Sal. And thank you for making a knife honoring Veterans.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Was hoping maybe you wasn't since I didn't know about the tribute knives till my last tour in Afghanistan. Trying to get a Iraqi Freedom model to go with my OEF.

Who was you with? 82nd, 3ID and 3 CR for me.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Brock O Lee wrote:I have not seen much about the new Native 5 LW serrated model, aside from the one "blade swap into a Native 5 G10" thread.

I received one yesterday, and I am very impressed. It is a quality piece at an affordable price. I especially like the FFG and SE combination. Interesting, the SE scallops on the Native are larger than on the SE Military I have... Lock-up is rock solid on this one. The handle does not feel too blocky (much less than the standard G10 one anyway), so I will not sand down the edges like I did with my G10. This FRN material feels exactly the same as the FRCP on the Manix 2 LW, I have no problem either way. The spoon clip works well, but I would not have been disappointed if it had a deep carry wire clip.

I can see that this one will be carried often, especially as a serrated companion to a slightly larger PE EDC. I am carrying it in waistband today, no comfort issues yet, so far so good.

Awesome. The SE Native 5 will likely be my next purchase and I've been curious how s35vn preforms in SE. Have you used yours much yet? I was going to order one this weekend but saw a NIB native 5 cf/s90v for cheap I couldn't pass up so it'll have to go on hold for a couple more weeks.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Not much experience yet, mine is still new.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:I just hope the powers that be are listening to all these square handle complaints. I know it's a lot of money to invest in a new FRN mold, especially for just this reason, so maybe with the next iteration this is something that can be tweaked a bit.
+1. It's a turn off to me. I probably won't buy another after the forum Native. Bring back the rounded profiles!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The square handles where a reason for me to doubt buying it at first but when I finally held it in a shop the scales felt much better than they look..
Haven't worried about the handles anymore since I got it, originally thought about maybe sanding them down a bit.
sal

Post by sal »

A larger radius on the corners is far more than a new mold. It's totally new engineering. All of the fasteners would have to move plus other mods. I don't think it would make a better knife. As Joris Mo mentioned, the actual use is better than the "eye" would have you think.

sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Joris Mo wrote:The square handles where a reason for me to doubt buying it at first but when I finally held it in a shop the scales felt much better than they look..
Haven't worried about the handles anymore since I got it, originally thought about maybe sanding them down a bit.
I agree Jorris...

I would say comfort is acceptable for typical EDC uses, maybe not exceptional but perfectly ok for light use (if I have to break down a heap of boxes I'll grab a Military). The stock G10 version was much more uncomfortable than the LW. After I sanded the edges of the green Native it now melts in the hand.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Double tap
Hans

Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Actually the main problem I've come across so far is the swedge on the blade being uncomfortable when you put your thumb on top of it to apply pressure.. ;)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Just wanted to chime back in and say that even though many of us didn't like the squared off corners, it helps the knife to not want to roll in the hand when you have a grip on it. They are no more square than my Para 2's and I love those.

After much use I have found that I like the handles more square like they are.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hi, well I also jumped on the wagon recently and got my first native only last week. Cool design, I got myself the s90v LW in maroon FRN (forumknife 2015) and I love it. Eric signed the box for me, thanks :) I think the design is clever and simple and when you put in something else as s30v you got me....The s35vn and s110v are tempting as well...
cjcutter

Post by cjcutter »

Great U.S. Made knife I have the plain edge LW native. Very nice.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

The N5 LW S35vn PE kicked the byrd from my work pants pocket. It's lock is nice and sounds a bit like a Fallkniven I fondled at a shop.

anycal

Post by anycal »

The Native 5 was my second Spyderco. Although it has served me very well, I have since found myself using couple of other <3" folders more. It was still in rotation, but not like before.

Acquired and gave the KW exclusive away. Friend of mine uses it all the time. I found the LW better suited for my needs anyways. Well, gave the LW to my dad recently. During a day of landscaping, he asked me for a knife on couple of occasions, yada yada, by the end of the day, the S35VN LW was in his pocket. At 75, I was actually very surprised how easy the one handed opening came to him.

The day I gave it away I realized I can't be without a LW Native 5. A PM2 and the Native is where it all started for me. How can I not have a Native?!

Got me a replacement. This one is not going anywhere. Other than my UKPK this is the only other S110V in my collection.

No longer with me,

Peter
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:07 pm
Exactly!
On the native 5, I picked one up recently and it does nothing for me, but it does nothing wrong either but it does feel fantastic in the hand however so does the para3 and now thanks to the “quality improvement” we now get S30v instead of S35vn- not a real big deal in the real world but kinda feels like someone pissed on you and insists it’s raining.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:21 pm
now thanks to the “quality improvement” we now get S30v instead of S35vn- not a real big deal in the real world but kinda feels like someone pissed on you and insists it’s raining.
Eh what? From all I have heard S35VN is virtually indistinguishable from S30V -- I thought the CQI was all about the lock mechanism, not the steel. I might raise my eyebrows if it had been S110V or S90V and was now S30V - then we could get the mob with the torches; but getting S30V instead of S35VN -- no big deal.