New member from New Zealand.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Big Nick

New member from New Zealand.

Post by Big Nick »

Hi Folks,

Big Nick here with a huge hello from New Zealand!!!

I have been perusing this forum for a while now and thought to myself that it’s such a cool place, I would really like to join.

I have been collecting production knives for a while now, just the usual suspects; CRKT, Kershaw, ZT, S&W, Schrade, United Cutlery, Cold Steel, Boker etc however for some strange reason I had never ever so much as looked at Spyderco as a brand. . .until now ;-)

Ok, so one day I was watching some youtube knife vids and I stumbled across a review of a PM2 and in the vid I saw something that would change my knife tastes forever. . .THE SPYDY FLICK!!!. . .What a cool way to open a knife, (previous to this I was a flipper kind of guy).

So fast forward to today, I am now the proud owner of; The Domino, PM2, Mile, Szabo and the Yojimbo 2.
Currently on back order is the Tatanka, Ulize and Manix 2XL, I am really hanging out for the Mamba and the Tighe Stick to arrive.

Long story short I am now 100% a Spyderco convert and the if the truth be known, I now very seldom actually look at other knife companies knives.

Spyderco is an amazing company with an incredible history and an outstanding product line.
Kind regards, Big Nick 
Liquid Cobra

Re: New member from New Zealand.

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Welcome to the forum. I hope to visit New Zealand someday.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Where do you live Nick...?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good to have you here, Nick. :) You've got a great start to your Spydie collection too, BTW. :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nick,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words. We do have at least one New Zealander that's crazy enough to tolerate us. Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome to the forum! A great bunch of people here and please dive right in.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum, Nick. Do you also have Svord knives?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome aboard Nick, good to have you.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Welcome to the forum Nick, seems like you've sustained a good Spyder bite there! So, NZ huh? We better see some kick-butt pics from you then ;) :). Some serious LOTR stuff! Enjoy your time here, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Welcome!

Hope to see ya post up some good photos of your Spydies in use there in New Zealand! :spyder:

Had a friend in college who studied there for a year and had nothing but great stories.
Going back to Caly.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Welcome from a fellow kiwi, there's at least 4 of us now :)

I recognize your screen name, on other forums?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Once caught in the spydervortex you'll stay there.Welcome !
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Welcome to the forum Nick, great collection you have there :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome!! I too would like to visit your homeland so day!! Have fun!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Welcome Nick, post a pic or two of your collection...

I am quite surprised to see you have a few large folders... I assume NZ is not as strict as Aus w.r.t. carrying these beasts? Or are they for home use only?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

welcome on board
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

To Sal & all the Spyderco family,

Many kind thanks for the heartfelt welcome, I am slightly overwhelmed.

The thing that has really impressed me about this forum is it seems like one big happy family.
Everyone is so respectful to one another and to Sal who has absolutely revolutionized the knife industry with his unique and innovative designs.

Also how many other company forums have their founder actually welcome new members and remain active on the forums, not many that’s for sure.

For me, no other knife looks, feels or performs like a Spydy, and you can instantly recognize a Spydy by its shape, design and trademark opening hole, which is super cool.

Another great thing is the multiple ways you can open a Spydy, for example my PM2; Spydy flick, thumb flick, slow thumb open, Spydy drop, flick with comp lock engaged and gravity drop with comp lock engaged.

For those that are curious I live in Wellington in NZ and I use the name Big Nick on several other forums too.
Big Nick comes from the fact that I am a competitive body builder.

In NZ unfortunately we are forbidden to carry ANY knife in public unless you have a “good reason” i.e. if you are on your way to do some fishing, or perhaps if you are a tradesman while on a job. So if you are stopped and searched by the Police you most likely will be arrested and your knife confiscated. You can’t just say “oh. . .it’s my EDC officer” and expect to walk away.

Also, Spydy knives are VERY expensive here the Tatanka retails for around the $400 mark, The Domino $380, Yojimbo 2 $250 and digicam/black blade Military $350.

Who are the other Kiwi’s here?

Take care all.
Cheers, BN.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Beautiful country where you live, I've been twice, 1st time for 3,5 a month ('06-'07) & 2nd time for 6 months ('09-'10) (3 of which in Paekakariki, pretty close by).
I didn't know about the NZ knife laws until last year so I always walked around there with a blade in my pocket, usually in a landscape where you often need it as well.
Still homesick for NZ, if it wouldn't be as far away as possible from my family (I live in Amsterdam, NL) I would have considered moving there..
(but that was before I was aware of the knife laws) ;)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Transplanted from RSA...living near Christchurch, in Rangiora...
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Welcome to the forum man! - Im in Masterton. :D

Pro Tip - buy knives from America, it will save you massive amounts of money, that saved money can get a few more spydies haha.

I carry in town but what cop seriously checks pockets? ;)